Mondeo - jcp
engine starts ok ,runs then for no apparent reason cuts out,-will start again straight away, does this without warning quite often when slowing at road juntions.most things have been checked with no sucess ,any help ?
Re: Mondeo - Simon
How old is the Mondeo? Does it have the one of the first Zetec engines?
Re: Mondeo - jcp
the car is a 1.8 on a L plate sorry not more car belongs to a friend.
Re: Mondeo - jcp
Simon, anymore thoughts on mondeo problem?
Re: Mondeo - Simon
Right this may sound stupid but it is 100% genuine. One problem with the early Zetec engined Mondeo's and Fiesta's is that they are very sensative to the grade of oil used in the engine. The reason for this has something to do with the hydraulic tappets and sticking valves. I can't explain how or why but what it boils down to is that if the grade of oil is not what is specified for it to run on the the hydraulic tappets lose oil pressure causing the valves to stick/not shut and thus the engine loses compression and cuts out. I think that the recommended oil grade is something like 5w30 but do check at the local Ford dealer. Obviously this may have nothing to do with the problems that your friend is suffering from but it is a known 'fault'. I know this because I used to suffer from similar problems with my Fiesta RS1800 and this is what it was down to in the end.
Re: Mondeo - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Without knowing what has been tried to correct the problem I would suggest firstly remove the idle speed controller and clean it thoroughly. Then clean any residues from around the throttle disc with petrol and a toothbrush. There is a modified controller available but I have not needed to fit one yet. Then remove the fuse in the fusebox for the fuel injection computer (ECU) to wipe out the memory, start the engine and idle for 10 mins then drive 5-10 miles. Another fault could be a hole in a small rubber T piece just under and to the rear of the ignition coil pack. These parts fail regularly and stalling is an early indication of impending doom.
HTH , keep in touch,
Andrew
Re: Mondeo - Honest John
I defer to Andrew Moorey here, but Simon is right that Ford owners should stick to Ford's 5w-30 oil, which is actually Texaco Havoline 5w-30 semi synthetic and is one of the best if not the best semi synthetic around.

HJ
Re: Mondeo - ladas are slow
we had the same problem with the citroen BX, but it disappeared when we got a new ignition coil fitted (i bet the problem will come back, now that i have mentioned it)