Computer related questions. Volume 47 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 48 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30469

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 47. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Page cannot be displayed - Drivethru
I have Windows XP and there is one site that I cannot access, I get the message Page cannot be displayed, there is no error code and it has just started like this, I have had no problems with it before. I know the site is ok because other people can access it as normal. I have deleted cookies and files, which made no difference, I just can't understand what has happened.
Any suggestions?
Page cannot be displayed - Adam {P}
What is the site?
--
Adam
it is askyourneighbour.co.uk
Page cannot be displayed - Pugugly {P}
Try loading up Firefox or Opera. I find that I have this problem with IE.
It works for me on both IE and Firefox. The only thing I can suggest is that the times you're looking at it are the times it's genuinely down.

Just out of interest, when you view it and it's not available, are you going to it via askyourneighbour.co.uk or by a link into some other part of the site?
--
Adam
I have tried both and tried accessing it via google but nothing works. Thanks anyway.
Page cannot be displayed - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am having a similar problem with Windows and AOL Broadband. For some minutes I can get onto any site I want and then, after say 10 minute, I can't. Mozilla is OK and I think the problem may be with IE6 itself, which in XP, one cannot select to repair, one could in W 98. Any ideas please on where I could get a full clean download or CD with IE6 on it? The full programme does not appear to be downloadable from Microsft's own site.
Page cannot be displayed - Stuartli
>>I think the problem may be with IE6 itself, which in XP, one cannot select to repair>>

Not quite true..:-)

support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/

Not sure if this will still apply as it's a bit dated:

www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

Other help:

www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6....m

Or download the latest XP version of Internet Explorer at (IE6 SP1) at:

www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie...x
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Page cannot be displayed - Pugugly {P}
Worked on IE and Firefox - apart from when I clicked the "back" button to read something I barely believe about my village it went to the page not available screen, I refreshed and it worked. (Firefox)
When I press back, it asks me something about post data but like PU, a refresh sorts it.
--
Adam
Music download onto CDR - Robin Reliant
I now get all my music from the net, ITunes etc. However, when I download a single track onto CDR I am unable to use that disc for recording again as the pc will not write to it anymore. I know I can build up a library on the hard drive before I download to cd, but it might be months before I have enough material to make a decent album and that puts the collection at risk from a crash.

Anyone know a way of getting round this and building up a cd one track at a time?
Music download onto CDR - Adam {P}
I have no experience of iTunes or whatever you're using to burn the disc Tom but it sounds like the CD is being "finalised" - that is to say, can't be burnt to any more.

With Nero, you can select a Multi-Session disc whereby, as I understand it (I've never done it before), you can do what you are asking to do.

However, like I said, I only have experience with Nero so it may be completely different.
Sorry I can't be of more use but someone will be along soon who knows more abotu iTunes I'm sure.
--
Adam
Music download onto CDR - jodenice
Use a CD-RW - you need a rewritable CD and not a CD-R - these are one use only.
The trouble is that a CD-RW will not play on any of my systems. I have no trouble saving back up data onto CD-R's that already have other stuff on them, the problem is only with downloaded music.
Music download onto CDR - Pugugly {P}
I use iTune for iSWMBO's iPod (why these capitals in the middle of a word ??) - the home PC has a huge HDD which is barely affected by
music storage. Either you save all your songs onto an iPOD (basic 4GB one can be had for £125.00) or onto a removable media (which the iPOD doubles up as) surely you should have enough favourite songs to fill a single disc. Agree though that iTunes is pretty good.
Pug,

I have filled several cd's with ITunes downloads, but I will often hear something on the radio which I would like to have. It may be a while before I then find others to compliment it and have enough to make a disc. In the meantime it is sitting on my hard drive waiting for The Curse of Bill to strike. That's why I wonder if anyone knows a way of writing a tune to CD-R without closing the disc, enabling it to be compiled over time.
Music download onto CDR - Pugugly {P}
I use a "Super MP3 Recorder" which I can use to record (in "record what you hear mode") from the web onto the recorder and then copied onto a CD if so desired. They are pretty small files (SWMBO has discovered Welsh music on the BBC website and instructed me to copy tracks for her). This can be saved onto a USB dongle type device pretty safley. I have just checked this and it can be done by pressing virtual buttons or drag and drop.
Music download onto CDR - NowWheels
Tom, I think what you want to do is to create a "multi-session" CD, which you can write to lots of times.

You may find this easiest to do by saving the file to disk, then using a CD-burning program such as Nero (or one of many alternatives) to burn it onto CD.

For what its worth, I would never download a paid-for-item direct to CD -- it's a much less reliable medium than a hard-drive, and if the CD goes splot, so does your track. Save it to HD, and you can burn it onto as many CDs as you like, even if you do the first copy instantly.
Thanks, NW.

I have just installed Nero, so I'll give that a go.
Music download onto CDR - Adam {P}
That's what I use and haveno problems with. CD-RW's are a bit tricky on other cd players but I've just done a multi-session CD-R and it works in the car. (Using Nero)
--
Adam
Music download onto CDR - Stuartli
It's nonsense to claim that a CD-R can only be used once; what's more it's a waste if it's only a small portion of the disk that is used.

Using CD-Rs in multisession form is very easy with Nero - just remember to save the file each time until the disk is full and enable Finalise the disk before the last burning session.

For comfort, make at least two copies of your disk (CD-Rs are very inexpensive).

It's also a handy way of storing backups of utilities, programs, applications etc until the disk is full. But you do need to keep an accurate record of what is on a particular disk...:-)

I've used both Nero and EasyCD Creater and find Nero much more straightforward in use.

CD-RWs have a far inferior reflectivity level to CD-Rs due to the technology required to enable them to be rewritten over so many times; this means that not all drives or players can read them.
Music download onto CDR - Baskerville
One thing to watch out for when using specific software to burn cds that you might want to recover files from in many years to come is that some "format" the disk by putting their own small Windows executable on it which can then be read by current versions of Windows. They don't all use the ISO9660 standard, so can't be read by anything else--its a similar deal to music cds that will only play on certain cd players. It's unwise I think to assume these proprietary formats will still work for free in, say, ten years' time, so for valuable files and/or backups, hedge your bets and check it's burning to an agreed industry standard or one that is used by many different companies.
Music download onto CDR - Pezzer
I have the same issue as Tom, however will Nero handle Apple's 'protected' format and convert to/burn audio CDs ? Must confess I havent yet fiddled around with iTunes to see if the burning facility within it will allow multi-session.
iTunes burns audio disks as standard audio disks with no protected format, but you can only burn a given playlist five times I think. No limit on the number of times you can burn a song as long as it's in different playlists. On a Mac it will rip and burn to mp3 and supports all mp3 players, but it only handles the iPod on Windows as far as I remember. Don't know if the Windows version rips and burns mp3s.
Should have added that iTunes doesn't do multi-session in itself, presumably because of the deal they did with the record companies to discourage burning and then ripping back to mp3.
Music download onto CDR - Stuartli
these are one use only.>>

Quite incorrect. CD-Rs can be used in multisession form until full.
Problem opening web pages - OAP
Due to the above problem, I am typing this at my local Library.

When I get connected at home, I come straight to this site (via NTL home page). I select 'Discussion' but when I try to open a thread or proceed to page '2' everything grinds to a halt. If I give up and try to visit Google, that refuses to open too. It is almost as if all is ok for the first few minutes but not thereafter!

I am running XP with SP2 and Onspeed recently added. I do not detect any problem with other programs such as MS Word and Outlook Express.

Any suggestions to cure this problem?
Problem opening web pages - NowWheels
Any suggestions to cure this problem?

Have you tried uninstalling Onspeed, to see if that makes any difference?
Problem opening web pages - Stuartli
OnSpeed is, for the most part, the computer equivalent of the Emperor's new clothes.

There's a simple IE registry tweak available that will do pretty much the same thing (see www.the-scream.co.uk/html/resources/ie_reg_tweak.h...l for instance) or, if you have Firefox, various configuration tweaks after typing about:config in the address bar and then pressing Enter.

I can list them if required.
Problem opening web pages - Ex-Moderator
Stuart,

Why does that tweak work ?
>>Why does that tweak work ?>>

By default, IE6 is set not to allow more than two simultaneous downloads to maximise available bandwidth for all.

The tweak allows you to increase the number of downloads to speed up surfing - it's similar to configuring, for instance, a download manager such as FreshDownload to undertake up to eight downloads at a time when downloading software etc from the Net.

Firefox uses a similar method but involves a little more work, although easy to do.

You will find dozens of XP tweaks at websites such as:

www.tweakxp.com/
Anyone interested in tweaking Firefox should visit:

www.bitstorm.org/extensions/

and scroll down to Tweak Network Settings for the extension download.
Problem opening web pages - expat
I had problems with this site with Internet Explorer. I couldn't post replies. Going to Firefox cured that. Firefox is a much better browser and is free. Give it a go.
>>Firefox is a much better browser and is free>>

Internet Explorer is equally as free - your problems most likely lie with your configuration from the Security and Privacy tabs and/or cookie settings.

I've been using Mozilla's Firefox and the e-mail alternative to OE, Thunderbird, for around six months.

The massive advantage, of course, is that you don't need to be constantly updating as is the case with IE/OE for security reasons.

Since I installed FF and T'bird, I've found that Search and Destroy 1.3, Ad-aware Personal SE 1.5 and SpywareBlaster have become virtually redundant, even though they are regularly updated; likewise with AVG7 Free which has found just one virus over that time.

My mate still uses OE and IE and is plagued with AVG trapping viruses etc on a daily basis. He tried FF but found it wouldn't always remember his business websites' passwords - he got fed up entering some of them manually.....:-)
Problem opening web pages - NowWheels
My mate still uses OE and IE and is plagued with
AVG trapping viruses etc on a daily basis. He tried
FF but found it wouldn't always remember his business websites' passwords
- he got fed up entering some of them manually.....:-)

He could try Opera, which handles passwords better than Firefox, and is faster too.
>>He could try Opera, which handles passwords better than Firefox, and is faster too.>>

Thanks for the advice but the problem now would be persuading him to switch yet again from IE on his business system...:-(

Yet he is quite happy to continue to use Firefox and Thunderbird on his personal laptop (I installed FF and T'bird on both systems for him at around the same time).....:-)

The main reason for the move to switch the business system to Firefox was to eliminate the constant need for IE and OE security updating, but it backfired to some extent.
Problem opening web pages - OAP

Thanks for the various suggestions. My Mentor and I will get together to try them out.

Just to be different, the pc is behaving itself today and, touch wood, I may succeed in sending this post without having to go to the Library!!
I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
my pc only ever starts up in low resolutuion and with no mouse
i have windows me,

can any "boffs" give me a pointer or two please

help much apprecuiated
I HAVE APROBLEM - frostbite
Hardly a 'boff' but I reckon it's just generally failing to remember settings.

Could it be the motherboard battery has failed?

Waits to get shot down.......
I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
thanks for your quick ansewer,its 4 years old, do they last that long, does anyone else have any good ideas

thanks very much, your replies are appreciated

thanks again
I HAVE APROBLEM - Adam {P}
Is the clock keeping it's time?

Have you installed anything recently?
--
Adam
I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
the clock hasnt been kepping time, and i havent installed anything recently

i didnt even know there was a battery inside it, is it like the big uns in kids toys or those ones that are like watched batteries or hearing aid batteries?
It's your battery. I've never known of them going bad enough to lost settings like that but it's too much of a coincidence.

They's only teh small cell type ones but I'm afraid I don't know the exact number. If you take the side off your comptuer, look at the motherboard, it will be obvious where it is. Silver, and round!
--
Adam
I've not been drinking - honest!

lose* settings

They're only the*

Number of the battery - not quantity. There's only one.

Sorry about that!
--
Adam
I HAVE APROBLEM - Citroënian {P}
Not sure this is BIOS (flat battery). Sounds more like you're booting into safe mode.

Do you get any other error messages?

(Thinking about it, does Me have a safe mode? Stuart?!)

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Long shot - but if the battery isn't holding the BIOS settings, would that not force it into boot mode?

I'm willing to concede it isn't a flat battery - my sister's has been losing the time for a month and nothing else has gone wrong.

--
Adam
I have a problem - Citroënian {P}
... but if the battery isn't holding the BIOS settings, would that not force it into boot mode?

I don't think so, it may lose time/date/disk settings but I think it more likely that Windows just wouldn't boot or boot properly if the BIOS was reset. I'm not 100% though.

If you can get access to the hard disk and find some way of backup up your useful data elsewhere, do that now as it may well be a sign of impending computer doom for your PC. From there I'd be tempted to do a rebuild, but to something less rubbish than Me.

I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
its definately not starting in safe mode i switched into safe mode later on to try to fix it,

what about a grahpics driver its a tnt264

Drivers don't just uninstall themselves. I would do as frostbite said first and change the battery - you'll need to do that anyway.

Can you go into display settings and set it all back again? If so - I'd be pretty sure it's the battery. If not, I'd look elsewhere.
--
Adam
I HAVE APROBLEM - Citroënian {P}
>>Can you go into display settings and set it all back again?

Great minds Adam, Great minds.... :-)

Lee.

Lol. Oh yes Lee.

:-)
--
Adam
Problem... - Citroënian {P}
Wouldn't explain the mouse.

You could try and re-install the drivers for the video, or at least check the display properties :

Desktop - right click - properties - settings - display mode

Worth remembering that Dell are currently doing a new Dell Dimension for £199 + VAT & Delivery
Problem... - derek
ive tried re doing the settings and of course it asks you if you want to apply them, then if you say yes, it will turn itself off to do them, and of course the whole scenario starts again

Problem... - Adam {P}
Do me a favour. Change the battery. Then at least it's one less thing to worry about it. I'm really leaning with frostbite on this one.
--
Adam
Problem... - Citroënian {P}
>>battery

No, No, No, no, yes. To quote that bloke from the vicar of dibley.

Adam & frostbite are right - it'll cost you a couple of quid and remove a variable.

They ran from the police but they couldn't escape the law

Problem... - Adam {P}
The sheriff's getting everywhere today!
--
Adam
Problem... - mfarrow
ive tried re doing the settings and of course it asks
you if you want to apply them, then if you say
yes, it will turn itself off to do them, and of
course the whole scenario starts again

OK so that rules out my response to Adski re changing settings in BIOS! It's a fast changing thread this.

Does the ME boot screen (F8 at boot screen) have an option to start to Command Prompt? If so and if it works like 95 would, go boot to commpand prompt then try using the DATE command to set the date there. Run it again to double check, then type WIN and press enter to (hopefully) boot windows. Of course I've never used ME and it might not boot off DOS like 95 used to.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I HAVE APROBLEM - mfarrow
Derek,

Is the clock running slow or resetting? If it's just running slow then yes you could probably do with replacing the battery but unless it's resetting I don't know how a battery could cause these problems.

Is your mouse USB? If so the drivers have been corrupted in the same way as the graphics. If PS/2 it should still be working (me thinks).

--------------
Mike Farrow
The clock's resetting Mike. So changing the battery will solve at least one problem.
--
Adam
The clock's resetting Mike.

OK I concede. Was unsure what "hasn't been keeping time" meant in terms of just running slow or going back to 1st Jan 1970 or whatever.

In which case a new battery might solve it once and for all. Have you tried going into the BIOS on startup and manually setting the time? This would rule out/confirm the two being related.

--------------
Mike Farrow
How? It would reset again surely?
--
Adam
How? It would reset again surely?

Yes it would, but I didn't read that he'd tried that before I finished typing (this thread's moving pretty fast!). I've come up with a better(?) plan above.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Sorry Mike! I'll shut up now.
--
Adam
Sorry Adam I'm not meaning to offend. I'm just lagging behind this afternoon like Derek's computer :-)

--------------
Mike Farrow
Could be your BIOS battery mate :-)
--
Adam
It's ironic isn't it: PC's are the most technologically advanced things in your homes and yet they have never been good at keeping time. If you don't use your PC for ages it looses time but if you keep it on all the time the clock runs too fast! Our 386 used to do this and my laptop isn't much better.

Safe mode surely has a mouse driver? Though maybe not if it's USB! Just as you get the "Windows ME" splash screen at startup hit F8 (you have about a second or two). There should be lots of options here, including Normal startup and Safe Mode. If it's highlighted Safe Mode then this is your problem. I can't actually remember now how to make it stop doing this but in '95 you had to edit MSDOS.sys.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I seem to remember the bad old days of ME rather too vividly. Im pretty sure you get "SAFE MODE" plastered all over the place on it when you're in Safe Mode.

*Pretty* sure. My track record isn't too good this week.
--
Adam
I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
its not starting in safe mode, it starting 16 bit colour, v low res 640 x 480 and no mouse and no curser,

I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
sounds like its a visit to poundland for some batteries then does it lads?
I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
i fi do change the battery in that few moments that i take the battery out will i loose any bios settings o ranything?

please advise
Your whole problem (we think) is caused by your BIOS battery being dead. You'll have to change it anyway which, (if we're right) will solve your problem.

A lot of if's I'll grant you!

What I'm trying to say, your battery is dead so changing it won't do it any harm.

There - that was easy!
--
Adam
I HAVE APROBLEM - derek
oh, er just one more thing....

only joking

thanks very much, poundland it is on the way home, trouble is when the urchins see all those new shiny batteries, they will want them putting inthere noisy toys. pesky kids

thanks again

all the best
No probs Derek. I hope that's it - post back when it's sorted. Good idea from Frostbite. I wouldn't have thought of that myself.
--
Adam
I HAVE APROBLEM - Stuartli
Types of Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) batteries can be found here:

www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/battery.html

and some information:

www.domaincountry.com/articles/computers/time.shtml

I've never had a CMOS battery fail - they last a very long time as the current use is tiny, but there's always a first time...:-(

Most are circular in shape, but getting the right one for your mobo is essential. Any good computer based outlet should stock what you require.

Take out the one you have, take a note of the model type, replace it temporarily and obtain a replacement. Cost will/should be about £2.
My sister's has just gone. Her board's about 5 years old.
--
Adam
How to replace a CMOs battery (if required):

www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosrepla...p

This may help with the configuration and remembering the settings:

www.majorgeeks.com/download4049.html
Never used ME but these might be of interest (only NT had no Safe Mode in the Windows 32-bit systems lineup):

www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/44410.h...l

www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/44630.h...l

www.halls.manchester.ac.uk/internet/problemmanagem.../

www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinme...m

There are a lot more similar sites.
I HAVE APROBLEM - smokie
Blimey - just found this one. If a battery cures it I will give up the day job. :-)

But I'll wait until it's been changed before thinking too hard...

(Clearly the drivers aren't being loaded. Haven't read Stuart's stuff yet but a poke around in msconfig moght help)
I've just tried booting in 1981 and Symantec Internet Security didn't boot, so driver thing plausible.

BTW I have a 6 year old K6 that's still going strong. As prone to sudden death as car batteries it seems.

--------------
Mike Farrow
>>If a battery cures it I will give up the day job. :-)>>

It's a fairly common occurance, but not always easy to solve for those who wouldn't/may not be aware of the likely cause, especially as the battery normally lasts for a very considerable period.
Problem - Citroënian {P}
I'm with smokie; I can't see the connection between the battery and the problem directly, but no harm in replacing it anyhow.

Oh and Stuart, thanks for the stuff on Me! reliable as ever.

:-)

Lee.

Computer settings for internet - Drivethru
Further to my question about the 'page cannot be displayed' message, I installed Firefox but it has made no difference, so I think it must be the settings somewhere and not the browser at fault. Also when I view webcams, which I used to have no problem with, the pictures don't appear now. Any ideas about which settings on the computer I could check? Thanks.
Computer settings for internet - Stuartli
From Firefox's Tools>Options>Web Features, have you Enabled Load Images and also checked the Exceptions list?

In IE's Tools>Privacy tab>Advanced tab you may have to Enable Show Pictures.

Firefox (and Thunderbird) can/may also display a bar at the top of the page stating that Images Have Been Blocked for privacy reasons - clicking on the Images button allows these to be downloaded if you are happy about them.
Computer settings for internet - Citroënian {P}
Just a thought - can you open every type of picture format? GIF, JPEG, TIFF, BMP etc?

You could use google groups to find some examples of each.

I've seen it where the rendering process for a particular file type has fallen over.

Worth a look anyhow.
Computer settings for internet - Citroënian {P}
Or even better, Google images... (ahem)
Firefox Update - frostbite
Other Firefox fans (who haven't noticed the red button) may be interested to hear that version 1.02 is available.

Only worrying thing is, it's another critical update - hope they're not going to start emulating M$ in this respect.
Firefox Update - Altea Ego
Firefox is not and never has been any more "secure" than any other browser. What you will start to see is more attacks aimed at it as it becomes more popular. The same will apply to any flavours of Linux
Firefox Update - Baskerville
Here's a test to try with Windows. I tried it myself to demonstrate the point to my father:

Using default Firefox, go to a dodgy website.

Using default IE do the same thing. Oh dear, now you have spyware installed, probably with admin rights.

Now do the same thing on a Linux install (IE will run on Linux using WINE). See, no problem.

Sensible users don't care what happens at some indeterminate time in the future, or about predictions from doomsayers with vested interests. They want to be secure now and if that means Linux or Mac OSX (neither currently have any live viruses capable of self-replicating) then tough luck Microsoft. If those products become less acceptable in the future we should dump them too, just as we do with everything else. Only the MS monopoly is holding us back and in the long run monopolies make bad products as a matter of course.

I happen to think the Unix/Linux approach to security makes more sense. For one thing web browsers are not allowed to be part of the operating system.
Firefox Update - Citroënian {P}
I don't think we really need another MS/Linux debate. You both make good points but I suspect this isn't the forum for them.

Firefox Update - Stuartli
version 1.02 is available>>

I did mention the fact that Version 1.0.2 was available in Volume 46...:-)
PS

I've been using 1.0.2 since it was released - claiming it is a "critical update" is somewhat strong language as it's not quite true.

A tiny chance of a possible attack from a particular source in Version 1.0 led to version 1.0.1 being released and 1.0.2 was the "overnight" completed version.

For those in updating Firefox to 1.0.2, download it to the Desktop or Temporary files folder, uninstall the present version and then install 1.0.2 in the normal way.

A separate Mozilla folder holds all the configuration, settings etc and the new version will adopt them.
Firefox Update - Pugugly {P}
Do you have to uninstall...downloaded the update and it worked without.
>>.downloaded the update and it worked without.>>

I've done it both ways but the firm Mozilla advice is to start afresh.
Firefox Update - Pugugly {P}
Thanks - I didn't know that !
Firefox Update - frostbite
I've done it both ways but the firm Mozilla advice is
to start afresh.

Yet, oddly, if you click on the alert button and follow that route, you have no option but to do a live install/update.
Firefox Update - buzbee
For those in updating Firefox to 1.0.2, download it to the Desktop or Temporary files folder, uninstall the present version and then install 1.0.2 in the normal way.

Stuart: Are you sure an unistall is needed? With 98SE I have installed 1.01 over the top 1.0 and then 1.02 over the top of that. Both times, no problems.

>>Are you sure an uninstall is needed?>>

As I stated in my previous posting, Mozilla advice is to uninstall a previous version of Firefox although, like you, I have done it both ways without any comeback.

Further information (scroll down to All Systems x-heading):

"Prior to installing Firefox 1.0.2, please ensure that the directory you've chosen to install into is clean and doesn't contain any previous Firefox installations."

As you would normally install into the default Firefox folder listed on installation it's clearly best to ensure any earlier version is uninstalled first.

Full details can be found at:

www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.2.ht...l
Firefox Update - buzbee
unistall then install

Thanks --- I should have done some reading.

What bothers me about uninstalls before new-installs, is the risk of losing information like the bookmarks -- I did see an earlier note of yours about doing a selective uninstall to avoid that. But, if an unistall is advised . . .

I do save a copy of Bookmarks but you only find out if re-installing that works when it is too late if it does not.

I used to uninstall Zonealarm before installing but have not done that now for a very long time and all works OK.

Have you ever had to re-install a saved copy of Boomarks and did it work?
>>is the risk of losing information like the bookmarks>>

As I have pointed out, Firefox's configuration, History etc is kept in a completely separate folder (Mozilla) in Documents and Settings - it's the same for Thunderbird - so you need have no worries about installing updated versions of Firefox as and when they are released following uninstallation of the current one.
Firefox Update - buzbee
Documents and Settings

in 98SE? Where is that then?

A search on Documents shows I don't have one, only a My Documents.

Another search shows I don't have a mozilla folder only one called mozilla Firefox and one called mozilla Thunderbird, as seen in Prog-files folder. Nothing I can see in those in regard to Bookmarks. Am I missing something? Are they hidden?

>>in 98SE? Where is that then?>>

I was, of course, referring to XP re Documents and Settings; in 98SE the settings are stored in Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox.

In 2000 and XP you can find them at Documents and Settings\ \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Those interested in why 1.0.2 was released can go to:

www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabil...l (it also includes Thunderbird references).
>>in 98SE the settings are stored in>>

The backward slashes have been eliminated in the above post because, I presume, some filtering has been done.