VW Bora - Alex147
I am thinking of buying a VW Bora - not yet sure which model, although the ones that take my fancy are the V5 170bhp. 1.8T and the 130bhp TDi.
Does anyone have any views/experiences regarding any of the above.
I would appreciate any comments
VW Bora - cheddar
The Bora is a nice looking car, I had a V5 hire car a few years ago for a week or so, remember being impressed, it was the 10v 150 not the later 20v 170, apparently the 170 is less gutsy at low revs though, of course has more top end. If a diesel why not a 150?
VW Bora - Stuartli
I have a Reflex Silver Bora 1.6 SE with the Year 2000 spec - it's got a very classy interior, built like a brick sh-th--se and averages around 40mpg.

Three people since I acquired it 18 months ago - all in their 30s and 40s - have admired it so much that I've had to hunt around to find two of them a used example which is exactly the same colour, the third person having bought new. One of them is a young mother who felt that her children would be very much safer in the Bora than the Rover she owned at the time.

My only gripe is that they all have the TDi version...:-)

I'm one of those whose always preferred a saloon, which is why the Bora followed two earlier Jettas. The second Jetta, a big bumper TX, was 13 years old when I part-exchanged it for the Bora, which came up at a price (through an independent car seller pal) that I would have reasonably expected to have given for a Vento.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VW Bora - borasport20
Nice motors, when reliable !

new or used ? If used & petrol, make sure it is not susceptible to the coil pack issue (though I think they should just about all be replaced by now)

New or used, be aware that if you do lots of short or urban journeys, some of the petrol engines, particularly the 2-litre four pot, can use a lot of oil - I really did have to check mine weekly.

If its your own car, i'd also advise getting the variable servicing turned off if relevant

Mike

p.s. - borasport20
should you get one, just be aware the front bumber lip is very low ! ;-)

VW Bora - Stuartli
Only problem I've had with my Bora (53k coming up) is a door whose deadlock remained on - cured by remotely unlocking and locking it whilst pulling on the door handle.

Mechanically it's been excellent and doesn't use a drop of oil between oil and filter changes (same with the two earlier Jettas), but I would back up the comment about the front air dam...:-)

When I first got the car I discovered it would catch some "sleeping policemen" if you didn't go slowly enough.
VW Bora - Pezzer
Had the 1.8t Golf for 4 years and was pretty happy. Would recommend a Tdi though, either 130 or 150, just as quick as the petrol and MUCH better fuel consumption. My 1.8T did seem to suffer with a problem with the throttle body assembly and Turbo Dump valves (?) which needing sorting at every service (Hesitating / juddering under acceleration). I prefered the Bora but needed a hatch.

P
VW Bora - Pezzer
PS make sure you get the Sports suspension - they are a tub of lard without.
VW Bora - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Try it on tight corners and mini roundabouts.
One I drove seemed to have a violent upward jerk compared to my Golf. Wife and I found it nausea inducing.
Strange and a pity as we both liked the looks and space.
I've owned a Jetta 16V and test driven Ventos without noticing this quirk.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
VW Bora - Stuartli
>>seemed to have a violent upward jerk>>

It either did or it didn't...:-)

Never experienced anything of that nature with mine.