Fabia VrS - jdc
Anyone actually got one ?

Looking for owners comments on real world mpg, ride comfort, general ownership issues etc.

Looking at a possible purchase in 1-2 months time, ex demo model, in black probably with about 10,000 miles on it.

I've test driven one and everything seemed hunky-dory.

Any owners comments most welcome.

jdc
Fabia VrS - jdc
ps :
I;ve done a Forum Search and there are various comments about the car but not from anyone actually currently owning one .....
Fabia VrS - borasport20
you'll not be short of answers if you visit briskoda.net !

Fabia VrS - ihpj
I want one but SWMBO wont let me have one. I wanted to buy the Octavia VRs but SWMBO insisted on the Passat (badge snobbery) so it was the VW. I've only ever heard good things about the VRs - should be cracking :)
Fabia VrS - tunacat
>>"I wanted to buy the Octavia VRs but SWMBO insisted on the Passat (badge snobbery) so it was the VW."

Oh no, not another one...

Perhaps we can redesignate SWMBO to mean She Who Must Buy (her) Own ?

Hopefully, if some people are so shallow as to not be able to see beyond a badge, one can prise off the Skoda one and glue on a VW one and they'll be fooled.

On second thoughts, that's still pandering to them.

Fabia VrS - Citroënian {P}
Was thinking exactly that... briskoda is pretty good.

I'd be interested to drive one - more torque than an M5...? Phew

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Fabia VrS - AlanGowdy
I've got a SEAT Ibiza with exactly the same engine/transmission/body structure so the following may be of help.

The acceleration is very impressive indeed for such an inexpensive machine - not so much 0-60 mph, which is OK but unremarkable, more in the mid-range which is anything over 30 mph. It just goes like the clappers and keeps accelerating hard up until you reach highly illegal speeds.

As for fuel economy, 55 mpg is easily achievable and 45 mpg even if you drive it very hard. The 6-speed gearbox is an overdrive in top (it reaches its maximum speed of about 130 mph in 5th) which means an unstressed (for both driver and car) 1900 rpm at 70 mph. It would - if allowed - cruise all day at 100 mph with only 2800 rpm showing.

The Ibiza's ride is too hard for my liking, though I've got used to it and I suppose it contributes to the handling which is pretty good. My example is an import without the low-profile tyres which would harden the ride still further. I've driven a 100 bhp Fabia TDi and the ride comfort was very good indeed, albeit at the cost of more body roll than I would have liked. I trust this has been suitably modified in the vRS as it's not a particularly sporting set up in the TDi. I was nearly impressed enough to buy one (but the 130 bhp engine was not then available, hence the SEAT).

Reliability? I'd imagine SEATs and Skodas are made to very similar standards. My Ibiza has been faultless in 40,000 miles so far.
Fabia VrS - jdc
Thanks guys - all very promising.

Had a look at the briskoda.net website and what a cracking site it is. Very informative and with a very good section on what owners think of the dealer network - all well laid out and easily navigated too.

I am changing jobs in June and will be commuting about 25 miles on the M60 at various hours of the day so it sounds as though a VrS would be fine. I would be trading one of our older and thirstier Subaru (keeping the Outback 2,5 SE thankfully !! - what a car this is turning out to be !) hence the interest in something quick, fugual and cheaper to insure ......

jdc
Fabia VrS - Xileno {P}
Diesel Car magazine tested one last autumn and were very impressed with it. It won one of their groups, high performance diesel section IIRC.
Fabia VrS - paulb {P}
I've got a SEAT Ibiza with exactly the same engine/transmission/body structure
so the following may be of help.

SNIP. No need to quote the WHOLE post, just enough so people know who you're replying to is plenty!

Ditto to most of that, except the bit about handling. I gather the Skoda's is better.
Fabia VrS - Happy Blue!
Didn't the Fabia VrS beat a MINI around a circuit on TopGear? It was clearly the faster car although less agile on corners, but the torque just blew the Mini away on the straights; so good for the slog around the M60. You need a car with that level of accleration from say 50mph to get away from idiots in autopilot mode.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Fabia VrS - jdc
"You need a car with that level of accleration from say 50mph to get away from idiots in autopilot mode."

Exactly.

Everything I'm hearing thus far says "go for it" - no negatives at all. Even my local Skoda dealer (Bury) gets the thumbs up from what I've read on the briskoda site.

Looks like I'll go for it .....

jdc

Fabia VrS - AlanGowdy
Auto Express has a test this week comparing the Fabia with the equivalent sporting Fiesta diesel. The Fabia wipes the floor with the Fiesta in nearly every department - and is slightly cheaper to buy.