Xantia Tailgate Wiring - Bromptonaut
Run a Y2K Xantia 2.0Hdi estate. Various failures of rear screen heat and tailgate mounted lights traced to (fatigue?) breaks in cable cores inside wiring conduit between body and tailgate. Is this a known Xantia problem and are there any fixes?

TIA
Xantia Tailgate Wiring - mjm
I run a 99 hatch. As far as I know this isn't a common problem.
There are several fixes, it depends upon what you have available. If you can release the trunking from the end nearest the breaks to get at them, it may be possible to pull a short length of extra wire through and solder the ends together with some sleeving over the joints. If you can't get enough wire through then it is possible to add a joining piece in the same way. If several wires have broken, do them one at a time, if possible and "stagger" the joints to avoid having a "lump" of joints in the same place. Use a suitable gauge of wire.
Hope this helps.
Xantia Tailgate Wiring - Bromptonaut
Thanks mjm. Garage already done the pulling extra wire bit, the repair has now failed iro the hrw and one tail light. I think cutting out the affected section and replacing with better quality wire of the right guage is the only route. Lead for the hrw is surprisingly meaty!
Xantia Tailgate Wiring - madf
Because the problem is wire bending in one place: and once it bends in one place it will always bend there until it breaks.
it may be worth while - if there is room - to wind replacement wire round a pen/pencil /dowel to form a coil of wire which is more likely to stretch and bend over the whole length than in one place.

madf