Grumpy old man thread. - Imagos
Further to Growlers post in the most ridiculous car thread, here's a thread for grumpy old men of the backroom to moan about anything they like.. (motoring related)

To post you must be old and grumpy.

Come on, get it off your chest..
Grumpy old man thread. - Altea Ego
Minimum age? or just old by spirit?
Grumpy old man thread. - frostbite
I always write that way anyway.
Grumpy old man thread. - Stuartli
I actually invented the gendre...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Grumpy old man thread. - Carole
>Grumpy old man thread

>To post you must be old and grumpy.

And a man.....?

Carole

PS You haven't got a monopoly on it you know! (smiles grumpily)
Grumpy old man thread. - VTiredeyes
went to my bank. the one that used to have a griffen as their mascot.....
manager says that we can get a £300K mortgage no problem.
that was last sept.
my money has gone up since then.
went for a mortgage 3 weeks ago. they rang me, and rebooked cos geeza off sick. went to review for mortgage 2 weeks ago.
took a week, for bloke to come to us, saying, erm ive only just looked at your review, will need to look over the weekend for you.
wow i thought they actually work the weekend !
little was i mistaken, all he wanted to do was to show the darling mangeress my lot. they rang me at 3.00 and asked for my more stuff. i took it down. they rang at 6.30pm and said no, sorry cant let you have that mortgage for £170K
WTF i said !!!!!
now 1 week later after asking for a letter explaining themselves, nothing, not a sossage....
(motoring related its going to give us £5K towards paying off a finance loan of 8.9%, with 4.99% instead.)(is that ok?)

now i have been at this branch for 20 years. what can i do to make their lives hell, as they have made mine? i need the extra cash on my mortgage for an extension for my kitchen and pay some car finance off like i said, and also my mortgage is up at end of march. so its coming to deadline and nothing is been done.
jfc.

Grumpy old man thread. - SlightlyFatRep
Simple.

Treat bank with the contempt it deserves (unless you have an inkling that really they ARE risking too much now, particularly with a possible - hopefully slight- dip in the housing market) and go to a local Financial Advisor. Get recommendations from friends / work collegues if you can.

To keep it motoring related, they will almost certainly be able to sort out whether you are paying a fair rate for the car insurance, if not even get a better finance deal for you.

Our financial advisor is worth his weight in gold and once I told him what I wanted he went hell for leather to get me the best deal. I have moved house 5 times in 7 years and had 8 different mortgages in this time so know a little about it!

If the financial advisor can't get the deal you will know that you are asking too much. If he can, he will probably get a better deal that you will have got with the bank anyway. Cost's nothing to ask as they (normally) earn a commision for the sale (if you go through with it).

Good Luck!!!
Grumpy old man thread. - GRowlette
I like this thread because my old man is grumpy as they can get. He is outside now drinking San Miguel with his buddies and talking petrolhead BS stuff so I got control of the computer.

Forgive my English, not perfect.

Hallo all from Philippines, Growlette here aka Cathy: I hope this isn't boring.

I need advice. My Big Stuff aka THe Growler he is off the rails. Now we got 2 Harleys, a Kawasaki and two cars plus that big 351 Mustang. I ride with him two days just now in the sun for a trip to the beach and he makes a fuss about 300 Pesos for me in the beauty parlor to fix my face from the wind and sun (we Filipinas hate to have dark skin, opposite to Europeans I think, makes us look like mountain people), it's very hot here now, and then he complains about the electricity bill at our house for the air-con.

He charges all the expenses to my 2 shops for tax so everything is on the company. OK we pay the tax inspector each year to fix the records (this is the Philippines, anything goes, right?) but where are my profits? All in his motorbikes I think.

He goes nuts about anything on wheels. He sees it, he likes it, he wants it. He says what the hell he's a "skier" spending the kids inheritance ( he is retired) but we don't have kids and we aren't rich.

He's a hard one to control. My question for my post (sorry it took so long) is all Englishmen like this? So infatuated with cars and mechanical stuff. Always grease under the fingernails it seems. And oily t-shirts in the washing machine. He doesn't own a suit or a tie. Love him or leave him he says.

We drive a lot, but best of all I love to ride my own bike (Harley Sportster) or backride with him, such beautiful countryside here. Harley is perfect for this country, big and comfortable and lots of power. Very safe feeling to ride it. He's a bad one, he always says his religion is Harley-Davidson and San Miguel beer. I don't know what to do with him.

Sorry for personal stuff, it's TIC anyway and I know the BR is not for gossip. I've never been to UK but I long to go. It's my dream to drive there in a Jaguar E-Type one day like Twiggy.

I see in the news about your snow. I've never seen snow. Dangerous to drive in snow I guess.

Too long post as usual.

Take care all, drive safe, remember someone is waiting for you at home and God bless.
Growlette
Grumpy old man thread. - L'escargot
<< Dangerous to drive in snow I guess.

Sometimes it can be dangerous. But whatever you do, don't eat yellow snow! ;-)

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Grumpy old man thread. - madf
Hi Growlette
" My question for my post (sorry it took so long) is all Englishmen like this? So infatuated with cars and mechanical stuff. Always grease under the fingernails it seems. And oily t-shirts in the washing machine. He doesn't own a suit or a tie"

No.
I'm not infatuated with cars.. like them but..
Grease unde fingernails? Nah,, I wear latex gloves and do as little as possible.
Oily shirts? I wear overalls - which are very oily but washed every 4 weeks..

A suit ? yes got one. Wore it last at a funeral 2 years ago.
A Tie? Yes: wore at funeral 2 years ago.

Grumpy? Yes
Old? Yes
Man? Yes
English? Born in London brought up in Scotland so have a Scottish accent.

All the best: try to reform him:-)

madf

Grumpy old man thread. - frostbite
Hi Cathy, nice to hear from you again.

The BBC are currently following up the 'Grumpy Old Men' series with a 'Grumpy Old Women' one.

So, although you don't personally qualify for inclusion, I think you might be amused by what one of them said (not exact quote):-

'I can't put the drink away like I used to - when I was younger, all my friends used to refer to me as The Carpet Inspector'.

Not that I would suggest you apply that description to a certain San Miguel consumer, of course!
Grumpy old man thread. - THe Growler
There's nothing like a 30 year career in Human Resources to put you off people for life .......

I hope we get the Grumpy programmes here on BBC satellite for a change. Herself has developed an unhealthy attraction for one J. Clarkson which needs to be curbed (kerbed?)

But to continue the grumpiness, what happened to carburetors? Radios which had buttons which you understood what they did ?(sorry for syntax or lack of). It used to be a challenge to get your car to start in the morning, now it's easier than to figure with out the buttons on the washing machine (that's her job anyway and quite beyond me). No sense of achievement any more.

Now even a motorbike needs to be plugged into a computer to tell you what you knew all along -- the idle setting is wrong. Dammit with my 1960 Bonneville I could have fixed that with a hammer, a screwdriver and a few curses, now I have to pay some person in latex gloves and a uniform with a glutinous have-a-nice-day smile some exorbitant sum just to boot up a laptop and twiddle with an adjustment screw.

What's worse there isn't even a starting handle supplied any more with your new car.

Damn thing of mine has a speedo that reads in kilometres as well, whatever they may be when they're at home. No proper mph any more. Euro-creep, that's what it is.

Now then, where's my gout medicine?

excess space created at the end of this post by unnecessary use of the return key has been snipped.
Grumpy old man thread. - helicopter

Growler - Human Resources? - Used to be Personnel in my day.

Talking about Syntax -- Please don't put ideas into Gordons head - he's taxed everything else.....

I'm not saying I'm a Grumpy Old Man but SWMBO certainly does.
>>>>excess space created at the end of this post by unnecessary use of the return key has been snipped.

Sorry, matron. Blame it on anno domini :+D
Grumpy old man thread. - hillman
Dear GRowlette
I'm older than the big one, but sorry, I'm not grumpy and I don't now own a motorbike.
Forget 'Twiggy', that's history, you are present.
One of my friends saw snow only once, and that was from an aeroplane flying over the Alps. In Switzerland it is nice and dry, but in the UK it is cold and wet. Keep away from it!
Grumpy old man thread. - hillman
SWMBO just appraised me of an event on the BBC 'Trauma' programme (message for me?). Chap looking at least as old as me was knocked off his motorcycle, onto the bonnet of a car, and dragged for about 40 yards. I doubt the dragged bit, because he was interviewed for the camera and sounded quite chipper (not grumpy). Probably 'carried' for 40 yards.
Grumpy old man thread. - tack
I think that the grumpy old men prog was better than grumpy old women. The men grumped really well in proper grumpy fashion. Lot's of harrumphs. They grumped about everything and anything in life. The grumpy women just whined a lot without proper grumping. And, all they whined about was their looks, hairy chins, sagging thingies. That isn't proper grumping I am afraid.
I haven't seen this prog. Is it available on DVD? We get BBC World and BBC Prime here but I haven't seen it. Herself would love it, (unusually given the culture gap) she's a pushover for English humour.

Got the weekend coming up and the Manila Rugby 10's. Big event, players from all over Asia. No parking as usual, all those overpaid empty suits Brit expatriates working for the big banks with their SUV's and shrill wives and ghastly kids. One Harley in the paint shop, guy quotes me 6000 pesos then rings up and says now 8000 I tell him what to do with that he says he's already started work and the airbrush guy has put up his rates. Why is nothing anybody's fault anymore? I've got to ride that beastly Kawasaki meantime and get laughed at by my mates. But I really want that pic of the naked woman getting out of a coffin full of roses on my tank.....Growlette's allowance may take a beating this month, now I'm going to get flak from her....

Local mayor has issued an ordinance making full-face helmets illegal in my city unless they're registered with the city hall (too many crims use 'em). Now I've got to spend half a day getting that done and I know where the money goes and it's not to the city.

Oh well, the weather's warm, the beer is cold and the women are beautiful.....