Old car: (Nissan Micra) 20k oil changes? - mikem004
N reg Nissan Micra (K11 type) mileage: 69k
I used to change oil filter on this car every 10k or 12 months, usually at MOT time.
But I have changed jobs and now drive about 22k per annum.

Just for arguments sake, would extending the oil filter change period to 20k damage the engine on a car this old?

Mike.
Old car: 20k oil changes? - Ford Dagenham
Hello Mike.

If you intend to keep the car for a good few more years it would be prudent to keep to the 10k change rate as leaving it in there for that period for any car isnt good.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Old car: 20k oil changes? - bimmer-driver
If I were you i'd change the oil on these at 5-6000 miles because I read on here that they can develop timing chain troubles if the oil becomes too dirty. Or did I just imagine it and am talking rubbish?
Old car: 20k oil changes? - mikem004
Thanks, Martin. You are right in what you say.

On the other hand:

* The car has some panel damage from a shunt. By the time I get to 100k I expect rust to have set in. I expect the car will still be running OK by then, but will have a low resale value.

* The Micra has a timing chain which *should* give me advance notice of lubrication problems ( I hope!)

Mike
Old car: 20k oil changes? - martint123
For the sake of a National 15 quid oil and fiter change I'd do it twice a year Autumn and Spring. How often do you check things like brake pads, fluid levels or just wait for the annual MOT??

Martin

Old car: 20k oil changes? - mikem004
I have just been quoted by Kwik Fit:

£18 for mineral oil
£28 for semi-synthetic oil

Which oil should I go for on a 70k mileage/20k per annum N-reg Micra?

Thanks
Mike.
Old car: 20k oil changes? - SjB {P}
Different car, but out of interest:

Mum has owned from new a 1989 Volvo 440 GLi with the Renault 1.7 litre engine. Fully synthetic engine oil has been used since the first change (originally Mobil 1, though no idea what is used now), but change intervals have been two yearly (that's once every two years, not twice a year) if the car's lucky. Most journeys are local (maximum wear and tear), and the car sits outside in all weathers.

Sixteen years on, the 440 now has an intergalactic mileage, but remains absolutely reliable, sails through its MOTs, and burns not a drop of oil. In essence, for the past few years it's been driven knowing that one day 'soon' it'll be taken to the breaker's yard, but that day shows no sign of coming! The car just goes on, and on. Full term ownership doesn't come any cheaper or more reliably, and dramatically extending oil change intervals hasn't harmed the car whilst helping the planet.
Old car: 20k oil changes? - oilman
Some proper, top quality synthetics will go 20k but if you're not using a really top one, don't leave it this long as the oil "shears", loses viscosity with use.

Cheers
Simon
Old car: 20k oil changes? - Stuartli
>>I have just been quoted by Kwik Fit>>

Go to National - much cheaper for the same result. Visit the website for details if you haven't seen its ads:

www.national.co.uk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Old car: (Nissan Micra) 20k oil changes? - Neil McK
My wife has a Micra and the oil change interval is 9k miles in the handbook. I personally wouldn't go beyond that as these cars have a timing chain so dirty oil could cause timing chain issues, which aren't cheap.

Keeping to oil change schedules is a lot cheaper than getting the timing chain replaced.

My wife's micra K11 has semi-synthetic put in it as it's now serviced by a small garage but always had what the nissan dealer stuck in it at oil change time. Mechanically the car is perfect and feels like it'll last another 60k without any issues.