98 vectra air con - steveh67
today i just pressed the snowflake button ,it lit up but nothing happened , i noticed that when i got home i let it idle on the drive then turned it on again, normally theres a slight pitch in the way the car idles when the air con is switched on... but nothing happened!
Any ideas Guys ??
is there something prone to faults on this unit?

do i need a re gas??

all help appreciated

Regards Steve
98 vectra air con - frostbite
It probably won't operate at current ambient temperatures.

Try it again when temp. is >5C.
98 vectra air con - Dynamic Dave
Sounds like it's low of gas to me.

When was the last time it was topped up? If recently, then *hopefully* the person who did it added an ultra-violet dye to aid leak testing.
98 vectra air con - Bromptonaut
I'd start from frostbite's suggestion. Most a/c systems cut out in low ambients, presumably to reduce risk if internal icing. If it's still u/s when the oat is over 5C then its time to worry about malfunctions.
98 vectra air con - cheddar
Hi, I did 86000 miles in a '98 Vectra V6, never noticed lack of response from the aircon at low temps, it did however lose it's gas once.

Regards.
98 vectra air con - Huw
I have a similar problem
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=29...7
I'll be off down the motorway this weekend and I'll leave it to idle on the drive at the end to see if the cooling fan actuates or if I boil over - but it does look as though its still all gone despite my fuse and connector cleaning.
98 vectra air con - SjB {P}
There may well be a problem, but it's correct that Vectra a/c won't work below 4 deg C ambient temperature. I recall this was in the handbook of my 1997 2.5 V6 SRi, and that it is to stop the evaporator freezing.
Cheers , never thought of that , i,ll try it again when our wonderful british climate rises .
Steve.
No joy ..outside temp got to 9oc today ,switch is illuminating but nothing is happening , is there any DIY checks i can do.? Steve.
98 vectra air con - Huw
Have you had a look at the fuse in box under the dash and the two fuses in the rectangular box just in front of your right hand when you open the bonnet. After that have a look at the advice I got [link in the post above in this thread]. I have to admit to getting fed up with cold wet maintenance and having taken it to the dealer - its only money after all.
98 vectra air con - Huw
Money gone - car fixed. elekie&a/c doctor was almost there - thanks [see link to my thread above]. The problem was a broken wire caused by fan front of radiator rubbing it - It had not been properly positioned following previous repair. Aircon will be dead handy tomorrow - they have forecast -4C.

Good luck steve