my Rover 200 won't start - howmuch!?!
my 10 year old Rover 25 is agitating for early tretirement. Intermittently, but increasingly, when I try and turn the key in the ignition it just won't turn. No amount of wiggling the steering wheel makes any difference. If I persist with the key for up to 10 minutes it will suddenly turn and fire up fine. What's going on? If I turn the steering wheel hard and break the lock will that free up the key?
my car won't start - Hugo {P}
10 year old Rover 25??? I thought they had only been made for around 4 or 5.

I suspect you're talking about the 200 that preceeded it.

In any case, you will no doubt be aware that there is a Technical Matters forum here.

I'll move this over shortly as the Tech Matters forum is frequented by stacks of willing and skilled mechanics who will gladly offer their advice for free ;).

Hugo - BR Moderator
my car won't start - Dynamic Dave
there is a Technical Matters forum here.

Kick.
my car won't start - howmuch!?!
yes I did get the message from Hugo!

there seems to be a fairly arbitrary line between discussion and technical, but my humble apologies for transgressing
Howmuch,

I put the "kick" comment in to bring your message back to the top of the list, because when I moved it across it was half way down the list and less noticable to people who *may* not have spotted it when they were here earlier in the evening.

As for the arbitrary line between discussion & Technical, as it's suggested on the main page of the Back Room:

Discussion
A place to discuss things with some connection to motoring. Also user roadtests and vehicle-related feedback.

Technical Matters
Technical Q & A. Help and advice on all aspects of maintaining, repairing & servicing your vehicle.

You wanted some help in repairing your vehicle. I'll leave you to figure out the rest.
ps,

Sorry if that sounded a tad blunt, it wasn't meant to be.

DD.
my car won't start - Civic8
Sounds like a bit of lubricating required..Try a quick squirt of WD40/with key in about a 1/4 of the way.squirt it on the key closest to barrel.It will go in.work the key in and out a few times..then retry..It should be ok. If it wont work do it again..If any lubricating doesnt work it will mean a new ignition barrel..Ps you wont break the steering lock.Not by hand anyway..Apart from that have you a spare key to try?
--
Steve
my car won't start - howmuch!?!
thanks for the advice - will try the wd40. Afraid the wife lost the spare key some time ago.

Yes it must be a 200, but 25 or 200 - different name, same car isn't it?