Accord diesel consumption - Malcolm_L
I'm struggling to get 40mpg out of an Accord diesel tourer (2004)

The car replaced a VW Passat which gave 42-44 under the same conditions, given that the Honda diesel is state of the art I'm surprised to say the least.

Any one else getting below par mileage figures on this engine?
Accord diesel consumption - Robbie
I have one also and I'm only getting about 38mpg. It's going in for its first service in two weeks time and I'll mention it to the dealer.
Accord diesel consumption - IanJohnson
If the Passat was a diesel it should have done 50+ as well, I got 38 out of a 1.8T petrol.

My Exec Tourer is averaging 50 but a colleage has a sport saloon which is doing around 40.
Accord diesel consumption - JimG
I have exactly the same model - the Tourer Sport - and having clocked up 8,500 miles I have returned an average of 35.83mpg, the worst being 31.5 and the very best was 40.8.
When I bought this car I expected consumption figures to be 42-45mpg as others have reported.
This I have reported to Honda and still have not had a satisfactory reply.
Can this be put down to having a "tight engine" or is there something else going on ?

To say the least it's a bit disappointing to barely reach the "urban" consumption figure when most of my driving is not urban.
A trip from Scotland to Manchester & back - sticking to speed limits most of the way - only mananged 37.2mpg. Urban figure quoted as 37.7mpg !!

I don't know whether this problem is peculiar to the Tourer or have some Saloon owners had the same problem ?
Accord diesel consumption - GrahamF1
Crikey you must have been really hammering that Passat to get the consumption down to 42-44mpg.

I get 63mpg at 70mph, and I can't get the trip average below 50mpg unless I really rag it. And before you say it, I've done the sums and the computer is not optimistic - it's generally spot on.
Accord diesel consumption - machika
And here was I thinking 35 mpg wasn't very good from a C5 2.2 HDI Auto.
Accord diesel consumption - Sprice
There are a few reports of poor fuel and oil consumption on the CDTi Accords, also, rattling windows and interior trim on all Accords. Honda are new at making diesel engines, probably be a while before theyre as good as their petrol engines!
Well, I can't complain about trim or any other faults on my Accord. Only problem is the poor consumption.

It would really nice if Honda actually admitted there is a problem with regard to the fuel consumption figures for some (so it seems) Accords.
It doesn't seem to matter if the car is driven hard or very gently - consumption figures are still way below that advertised.
To be perfectly honest if I had been told that I would only get 36 mpg average it would have made me look more seriously at the Volvo V70 D5 !!

Come on Honda - how about some feedback ??

There are a few reports of poor fuel and oil consumption
on the CDTi Accords, also, rattling windows and interior trim
on all Accords.

Can you give details of these reports? I'd like to follow them up, particularly about the poor fuel consumption.
Accord diesel consumption - Cardew
Just a long shot - but I did read of the computers on some Japanese cars being set for the USA gallon. I assume you have all done a 'brim to brim' check? Not that easy with the foaming fuel - nasty stuff anyway!!!
Accord diesel consumption - Bill Payer
Just a long shot - but I did read of the
computers on some Japanese cars being set for the USA gallon.
I assume you have all done a 'brim to brim' check?
Not that easy with the foaming fuel - nasty stuff anyway!!!

There isn't an MPG computer on the Accord (one of its small, but annoying, specification omissions). The only thing it has is a 2 stage trip meter. Bizarely even my wife's Jazz can display its average MPG.
Accord diesel consumption - Sprice
Just what I've read on various forums and motoring sites of which google will supply loads!
Honda Accord isn't present in large numbers and I've googled and found only one other owner with a problem on a complaint forum.
(PeachesandLemons).

Anything specific is helpful as a common front is always helpful
when dealing with corporates.

Thanks
Accord diesel consumption - bananaman
You should be grateful for 35 mpg! My A4 2.5tdi quattro returns 31-32 mpg. Having said that, my right foot is a bit on the heavy side.
Accord diesel consumption - Avant
Sitecode, your right foot must be a size 12! My 2.5 TDI gives 36 mpg in town, 45 on a long gentle run (75 mph is gentle - only just over 2000 rpm).

In fairness part of the difference may be that yours is a quattro, especially if it's an automatic. The quattro auto is a conventional Tiptronic whereas mine is the CVT.
Found another poor unfortunate soul with the same problem.
This chap has a Tourer i-CDTi on loan while his Tourer 2.4 Exec is being fixed (nasty electrics problem).
He reckons he is getting about 450 miles to a tankful - this equates to the figures I have been getting - 36mpg approx.

There must be many others out there that are just living with it!

How about posting your experiences here ?

Jim

Accord diesel consumption - BobbyG
Not an Accord, but I previously posted a thread on my Scenic diesel where I am not getting anywhere near what I think I should be. Put into dealer and they did an emissions test and said everthing was fine and there were no other checks they could do!
Did give me advice on an Italian tune up weekly, not using 6th gear below 50 etc.
Accord diesel consumption - David K
Hi...I'm about a week from ordering a 2.4 Accord with the auto box. I found the 2.0 a bit 'wanting' with the auto attached. Would anyone have any real world figures on petrol consumption for this engine size, or any direction to a UK based owners forum?

Dave K
Accord diesel consumption - oldtoffee
What is all this pre-occupation with mpg figures? People are so hung up about mpg figures as they shell out close to 20 grand for a new motor. If your main concern is top economy choose a VAG diesel - they consistently return the best figures in the real word. So that'll be a a Skoda please, obviously because it makes most sense - why we don't all drive one I can't imagine! If you want image, refinement, technology, smoothness, don't fancy waking the neighbours, enjoy the great adverts, then drive a well cool Honda Accord diesel - top notch quality, reliability and loads of cred. Nice car, wish I could stretch to one. If you get high 30's, low 40's in "ordinary" mixed driving you're probably getting as good as you'll get unless you start pussyfooting your way around the UK road networks which defeats the object of buying such a good car. Drive it! The extra pounds you spend suffering lousy mpg will be recouped several fold at sale time.

For Sale - very economical Picasso HDi - willing to straight swap with any disillusioned Accord diesel drivers.

The real gripe here is about the difference between the advertised figures and the ones achieved in real life.
If I am achieving below the quoted "urban" consumption figure for a motorway journey from Scotland to Manchester basically sticking to the speed limits with a max speed of no more than 80mph - then something is wrong with either my car or the advertised figures.
Don't you agree ?

Jim

Accord diesel consumption - wantone
Why would you want a accord(nobody else wants them ugly things!)stats tell the truth!!!
Accord diesel consumption - Ex-Moderator
Thank you for that valuable contribution which really increases the worth of this thread.

Do try a little harder to write something which makes reasonable use of the space it occupies.

Thank you so much.
Accord diesel consumption - wantone
spot on(ranting)
Accord diesel consumption - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
GrahamF1
I only get 42-44 from my Passat 100bhp diesel estate, even driving gently. An overall of 42 mpg was at a steady 75 mph cruise to Bath and back.
Even gentle acceleration puts the mpg indicator into the 20s.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
I 'phoned Honda two days ago telling them that I was not satisfied with the fuel consumption - 38mpg extra urban - and they promised to get back to me. I 'phoned again this morniong and spoke to the same person who apologised for not contacting me. She had spoken to the technical bods who confirmed that I could not expect to better this and 38mpg was what I should expect. I challenged her with the figures that Honda quote, and she said these were government figures under ideal conditions.

I said that I would post this on here and she said that was no problem.
Accord diesel consumption - Bill Payer
Yet FleetNewsNet had one on long term test that was averaging 48MPG.

The figures quoted by Honda are done in a lab on rolling road. The vehicle goes through a pre-set routine and the emissions are measured and the fuel consumption is calculated from the emissions figure - they don't actually measure fuel consumption at all.
It's been suggested elsewhere that manufacturers set the engines up to give the best possible result on these tests (be daft not to, really). I suppose the benefit is reduced tax liability for company car drivers, and slightly lower road tax for others.
There may be a problem with some cars but in my experience Honda's figures are not far out.

Over 29765 miles I have put 594 gallons in - always fill to second stop. This gives an average of 50.1mpg (who needs a trip computer). Car is a Tourer Executive with space saver so is as heavy as they get empty, was delivered on 4th March 2004 and I didn't see another diesel for six weeks so it was one of the first to arrive in the UK.

If I was only getting 40 i would be playing hell with Honda!
BTW most of the miles are on Sainsbury's diesel - but with the discount going that will probably change!
Glaikit Wee Scunner,

Mine is the 110 bhp engine, code AFN and non-PD - so I don't think we're comparing like for like. The quoted figures show better economy from the 110bhp over the 100bhp.

I wonder what the legal situation is? Is there are obligation on Honda to quote reasonable, acheivable figures if they are used for advertising purposes? Surely if they quote a figure and it is unachievable on a public road then the advertising is false / misleading?

Based on the figures quoted for my Passat (and the Focus I used to drive), I look at the extra-urban figure (the highest one) and think I'll get about 8-9 mpg better than that on my 40 mile commute where I cruise at 65mph.

But it seems now that different manufacturers are quoting figures tested in different environments. Surely there ought to be a government standard? What is the point of testing indoors on a lab rolling road, the information is of no use to the consumer. It should be tested outdoors going round and round a test track.

Personally, I think the 'urban', 'extra-urban' and 'combined' cycles complicate things. Why not just quote a figure for 50mph, 60mph and 70mph cruising in top gear?
Accord diesel consumption - Cardew
Personally, I think the 'urban', 'extra-urban' and 'combined' cycles complicate things.
Why not just quote a figure for 50mph, 60mph and 70mph
cruising in top gear?

GWC,
That would make it even more misleading and bear even less relevance to real motoring.

A big car with a big engine pulling a very high gear can produce impressive steady state consumption figures; yet overall consumption figures can be low.

This is particularly so with modern automatics.

C
Accord diesel consumption - machika
I 'phoned Honda two days ago telling them that I was
not satisfied with the fuel consumption - 38mpg extra urban -
and they promised to get back to me. I 'phoned
again this morniong and spoke to the same person who apologised
for not contacting me. She had spoken to the technical
bods who confirmed that I could not expect to better this
and 38mpg was what I should expect. I challenged her
with the figures that Honda quote, and she said these were
government figures under ideal conditions.
I said that I would post this on here and she
said that was no problem.

>>

It's a bit of a poor excuse to lay the blame on government figures, under ideal conditions, when the difference is so marked. 38 mpg, extra urban, from a modern direct injection diesel is very poor. One should expect to get something near to official figures. The cars that I have had have all returned something very/fairly near to the official figures.
Accord diesel consumption - daveyjp
To say its 'normal' is an easy cop out for Honda. At what point would Honda say it's not normal? Anyone willing to call them and say they are getting 20 mpg and see what the response is?
The figures people quote of 38mpg really are diabolical for a diesel engine of the current age - if it carries on I don't think Honda will be able to stay in the diesel market.

With the current crop from VAG, Ford and Peugeot/Citroen, anything less than 55mpg combined out of a 2.0(ish) diesel just doesn't cut the mustard.

Incidentally, at only 38mpg from the diesel is there any economic advantage over the 2.0 petrol?
Malcolm
I couldn't agree more with you !
When I was looking at the Accord diesel the other car in the frame was a Volvo V70 D5 (more power but same torque as the Honda) - but what swung it for me was the superb fuel consumption so I bought the Honda !
I must agree with the previous posting which refers to misleading advertising.
Was I duped ?

Car going in for 2 days of tests on Monday (28th) - these tests have been asked for by Honda technical. I will post any results here.

Had a thought about the other problem my car has - the cabin "instant heat" - which has never worked since new - is this connected with the poor fuel consumption in any way ?
Anyone else who has had poor fuel consumption AND faulty cabin "instant heat" ??
Do you mean that your heater blows hot air instantly?

Mine went in for the modification in the summer so I hadn't noticed whether it heated up instantly. It takes a couple of miles to get hot, but didn't think that unusual. Mine's going in for its first service in two weeks.
I only wish it did !
It takes approx 10 mins to produce warm air , and by that time the engine temp is just starting to register on the gauge.
The manual says that the diesel version of the Accord is fitted with a cabin "instant heat" system which utilises the a/c unit - presumably running as a heat pump.
Instant to me would mean in a minute or so.

I am getting the modification done on Monday - will report results here.
The gripe I have had with mine is that the air heater has not been working - they checked the heater/thermostat last week and claim to have done nothing but now it IS working.

Started the engine this morning and cleaned side, rear windows (-1C) and by the time I reached the front the ice on the OUTSIDE was melting!

As far as Fuel consumption when I was looking to change 18 months ago there were numerous posts on here about Mondeo TDCIs only achieveing low 40s - one reason I went with the Honda. Ford were re-mapping ECUs - check the archive as it may be a similar issue with Honda, can't believe they use their own injection system/electronics.
I too was looking at the V70, but was persuaded by the Honda's better consumption and by it being the 'next generation'.

Look forward to hearing your test results.

Accord diesel consumption - quizman
I usually get 42-45 mpg with my TDI130, which gives me a range of 550 miles. If I drive it very carefully I can just get above 50 mpg.
A friend's wife, with a similar car says she can get over 60 mpg. She must either start at the top of a hill, the computer is wrong, or she is dreaming, because I just don't believe it.

I have just realised I am getting like Victor Meldrew.
Accord diesel consumption - dma5m561
I took delivery of an Accord Tourer diesel in mid-November and have done about 6k miles so far; a mixture of a few long runs (cruising at 2500rpm on motorways) and my regular 24-mile daily round trip to work and back on decent rural roads with a bit of light urban traffic at the work end.

The overall consumption so far is marginally over the 40mpg mark, which is disappointingly low and certainly less than I was expecting. My local dealer says that the engine tends to gives its best only after it's done about 10k miles; however I can't see any improvement being more than marginal. Time will tell, and I guess the advent of warmer weather might help as well.

--
Martin
Accord diesel consumption - scott1s
I have a 2.2 dCi Primera and in seriously stop-start town driving I get around 35mpg. However on the open road I measured it at 56 mpg. This seems to be getting slowly better as the mileage goes on. ALthough I have heard murmurings of a throttle sensor adjustment that can be done on the Primera which improved economy dramatically. Perhaps the Accord is the same - who knows it may use the same part!!!
Accord diesel consumption - jlo
I also have a 2.2DCI Primera (Company car) and that does on average 42-43mpg (have now done 47000 miles)

I was a little disapointed but reading all the other reviews of sub 40 mpg for other diesels I am now happy. Not quite as happy though as the VW group diesel drivers :)

Cheers

Jlo
I must admit I do love the car though. Got a fair bit o'poke. I wanted a 156 (not practical enough) and would have loved the Accord (too dear) but the Prim has turned out to be better than I really expected. Especially as I had 2 old model 2.0eGT's and loved them to bits.
Accord diesel consumption - tyre tread
Sorry to Hijack the thread a bit but I also bought a 2.2dCi Primera and am getting a calculated 40.1mpg which is confimred by the read-out.

I love the flexibility of the engine but am disapointed with the MPG especially as my last car, a 2002 Jazz was capabable of regularly returning 50+ mpg.

I do a 115 mile a day round trip down the A14 and even with a clear run and a steady 70mph the Primera still wont better 42mpg.

I am most interetsted in the comment regarding the throttle sensor - Anyone else have any more info on this?
Log in to the Primera Owners Club on www.nissanprimera.net and there is some info on the forums regarding this. Hope it helps . . .
Accord diesel consumption - tyre tread
Scott1s, I hada look as you suggested - seems this may relate to pre 2005 models - mine is 2005 - you said you were getting circa 56 on an open road blast and 35 round town - mine is pretty constant circa 40mpg - looks like mine is more likely to have a problem as I would expect more variation like yours.
Accord diesel consumption - trancer
Well the Honda engineers did set out to build a diesel that was more like a petrol and with typical Japanese precision, they even made sure it consumed diesel at petrol rates!.

I think you lot should be congratulating them.
Not withstanding the TIC aspect, they didn't even get that right.

Some do and some don't - I thought Friday afternoon specials were
not in the Japanese domain.
Accord diesel consumption - Ed V
My Saab 9-3 2.2 (with turbo) was getting 45/46 regularly but I have noticed a drop over the last few weeks to about 36.

Could it just be colder weather?
Accord diesel consumption - blue_haddock
Could it just be colder weather?

Theoretically in colder weather you should get better MPG as the cold air is more dense and so a greater amount of oxygen gets into the mixture so it burns better therefore better economy.
Accord diesel consumption - trancer
But that is negated as cars are more likely to sit at tickover longer as drivers try to "pre-warm" cabins before driving and the car being driven longer distances with a cold, less-efficient engine.

Modern cars would compensate for the extra oxygen by adding more fuel, wouldn't they?. I thought thats what air-flow meters etc were there to do.
Accord diesel consumption - richy
Higher fuel consumption in winter due to heavier, denser air requiring more energy to move a car through it.
Accord diesel consumption - kal
The critical issue would be if you did a ;lot of stop start driving from cold, I am told this new genaeration engine is so thermaly efficient that it takes ages to warm up from cold. In order to prove if this is correct you need to do a tank to tank check on mpg when using a pre warmed engine and a cold engine. Some people fit webasto heaters to thier cars to improve the warm up when cold.
But a diesels economy isn't affected by cold weather in the way a petrol engine is.

A given amount of fuel is injected into hot air and it burns, if the temperature is low this gets an assist with glow plugs - with a petrol you have to richen the mixture to get the fuel burning efficiently at lower temperatures.

There would be slight effect caused by oil viscosity at lower temperatures but nothing compared to a petrol engined car.

Accord diesel consumption - Civic8
>>But a diesels economy isn't affected by cold weather in the way a petrol engine is.

Not strictly true.One problem is the air intake.Cold air means the oil intake is slightly higher than in the warm air..the cold air can cool down the glow plug in a very short time.meaning glow plug without intake warming cools very quickly. Not all glow plugs stay on when relay cuts out.also means fuel enrichment is prolonged.Much the same as keeping choke on longer with a petrol.
--
Steve
How do you enrich the fuel on a diesel?
Accord diesel consumption - highflier
i wish i was getting as good as your mpg, im currantly driving a mondeo 2.0 tddi 2001 and getting....wait for it.....26mpg...yes..26mpg!!! and this has been consistant for a while.
I never got anywhere near this unless I was towing a twin-axle trailer which had the aerodynamics of a large brick, to get 26mpg I would have to tow the QE2!

What does your dealership/service agent think?
Accord diesel consumption - highflier
well the dealer i bought it from 5 wks ago keep saying hmmmm...ahhhh.....it could be the way i drive, i could be calculating it wrongly, it could be this, it could be that.

at the moment im waiting for their "specialist mechanic" to come off holiday to give it a thorough examination...the mind boggles.
Accord diesel consumption - Happy Blue!
26mpg is very low.

We get that from our diesel Hyudai Trajet which is much larger, automatic, still running in and only driven in urban areas. We get over 30mpg on a run.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
At risk of being shouted down it looks to me as if it is the way they are driven.

Mine, as I have said before has averaged just over 50 so far with a worst of 47ish. Over the last tank it has been in to Honda in Birmingham twice so around 80-100 miles driven by them. I am not aware of driving it any differently for the rest of the tank but it was down to 44!

On the next/current tank it has done 470 miles on 3/4 tank so far so looks as if it is back over the 50 mark!

Use the torque, not the revs!
Not going to shout you down Ian, but I must disagree.

I shouldn't be getting worse consumption figures on a more efficient engine than my previous car given that my driving technique hasn't altered.
I accept that individuals may get different results from the same car but several people are getting poor consumption figures from the Honda diesel in different cars.