Blackwall Tunnel - Mikey Jay
I was under the impression that the Blackwall Tunnel is undergoing radical improvements. Have I missed something? The whole tunnel looks as miserable and decrepit as ever. The road surface may have improved but what else? I think they have done the wiring. Any information on what's happening?
Cheers,
Mike.
Blackwall Tunnel - ian c
The southbound tunnel is being refurbished - the work seems to be being done at night on several days a week - particularly at weekends.
Apparently the project is scandalously behind schedule. The deadline keeps getting put back - the last was at the end of 2004 but cynics among us think it will all last for at least another year.
It is a dreadful nuisance for people who need to use the link late at nights - I have to go out to Dartford, use the QE2 bridge and pay £1. I reckon the Blackwall delays have cost me £150 in tolls alone.
There used to be a system of leading cars through in convoys - supposedly to protect the workforce from speeding in the tunnel. I suspect this was stopped because everybody going through in a convoy always noted that there was never any work going on and the only activity by the workman always seemed to be the drinking of tea near the tunnel mouth.
I just hope that Transport for London manage to inflict a dreadful penalty payment on the contractors.
Blackwall Tunnel - somebody
Nothing's changed from when I used to use the tunnel during the early to mid 90's. The Southbound tunnel was one long refurbishment project even then. Always being closed nights and weekends. I'm sure there's very little going on, except some people making a bunch of money
Blackwall Tunnel - Mikey Jay
Thanks for your replies guys. The whole thing seems a complete mystery. You're right, they must be really behind schedule. Sorry to hear you have lost £150 on tolls.Cheers,Mike.
Blackwall Tunnel - king arthur
The price you pay for giving in to the tree huggers - we really could have done with that East London river crossing, but it's not happening.