vectra aircon and radiator fan both u/s. - Huw
It has happened a couple of times before and by fiddling with fuses I have got them working but this time although fuses are clean and intact I have lost both. Any clue what to look at next appreciated.
vectra aircon and radiator fan both u/s. - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Any odd warning lights up on dash? Particularly a yellow silhouette of the radiator with a little propellor on it?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Thanks for the reply

No warning lights of any description. I have 'fixed' it several times before with a lot of fuse pulling and cleaning but now the fuses are geaming but neither works. When I turn the temperarature to coldest I hear a 'tick' of a contact being made behind the dash but thats where the action ends.
vectra aircon and radiator fan both u/s. - Dynamic Dave
Is it just the a/c fan that isn't working, or doesn't the a/c work either? If the a/c isn't working, that could suggest that it's low on gas.

Does the normal cooling fan on the radiator kick in when the engines temperature goes up?

In reply to Andrew; the Vectra doesn't have the radiator/propellor warning light. I have seen the light to which you're refering to on my Dad's Astra though. Strange that Vaux fit it on one, but not another of their range.
vectra aircon and radiator fan both u/s. - elekie&a/c doctor
Vectra models with a/c have 2 cooling fans,one engine side & one behind bumper.When a/c is switched on both fans should run at slow speed.I think you will find that the fans are connected in series under these conditions,& thus if the front fan becomes faulty (ie open circuit ) then the engine side fan will not work.Engine fan will cut in at full speed when coolant temp gets high.Power supply & earth to front fan can be checked at large 3 pin connector which sits on top of radiator panel.
Thanks again for the help. Local main dealer has had car for the morning and is stumped, they now want it for 3 days - ouch. I'll have a look for that earth in the morning [snow permitting].

Should anyone else look in: The situation is that the aircon does not work -even on warm days, and the car will boil over before any engine cooling kicks in.
It is a balmy 2.5C here in the Cotswolds this morning so aircon would not be happening anyway but I pulled the three wire connector apart - pins connect to the fan on front of radiatior and sockets lead to 'rest of car'. A circuit exists only between red and black of the [fan side] pins. There is no path to earth from any pin but a path to earth from brown socket - but as [at this temerature] there is no circuit to the brown pin that is usually in this socket then there is no path to earth through the fan. There is a therocouple on the fan. Should I have a look later when/if the temperature gets above the minimum for aircon or will that make no difference?