Astra engine misfire - Daveyboy
Got a X reg 2001 Astra estate with an engine misfire changed the sparks plugs but still the same.
Took the car to a local vauxhall garage (not main dealer)they have changed a coil and one spark plug checked for air leaks tried to reset the fault on the ECU but the engine light comes back on with the misfire on a test drive now they are checking the timing.
Can anyone suggest a reason for the misfire? and should I pay the full amount of the bill for checks done if they cant cure the problem?
Astra engine misfire - Civic8
Many reasons for a misfire.What was the fault code ECU gave?
--
Steve
Astra engine misfire - Dynamic Dave

My Dad's Astra (51 reg) had similar misfire problems. Garage ended up changing all the coil packs as they couldn't decipher which one was faulty. Several days later a faulty lamba sensor was also discovered.
They have checked the car for various problems (dont know the fault code) and they suspect the ECU £650 plus vat but because I have not gone to a main dealer, if by any chance it does not cure the problem I can not send the unit back.
Cheapest option was to send the ECU away for check/repair for £100 but will take up to a week.
ECU not been sent away,car been sent away to another vauxall dealer for second opinion they think its not the ECU electrics ok suspect tappets/valves tight going to flush out the engine and change the oil.
Astra engine misfire - DuffBus
My Astra had a similar problem - however mine is the less common 1.6 8v. After alot of hassle I found out by a chance conversation that Vauxhall would replace the ecu for free - even though the warranty was long finished. This was due to them having so many problems with the ecu on the 8v.
I know this doesn't help much but if all else fails you may have to get the ecu checked.
I tried everything and it drove me mad for weeks before it was sorted - good luck!!
Had a reconditioned ECU fitted so far everything ok.