Permanent address required? - mak
I have often wondered when passing a travellers encampment with their newish expensive motor vehicles, how they get round the requirements of registering these vehicles and arranging insurance. I always thought the keeper had to have a fixed address on the log book (V5) and for assessing the car insurance.
Perhaps their human rights outway the legal requirements of the land.
Following on from this, is a person of 'no fixed abode' still able to own and be insured to drive a vehicle?
I await your replies before thinking of becoming of 'no fixed abode'.
Permanent address required? - madux
Yes, and how do you get insurance without a postcode?
I've never got close enough to see if these vehicles actually have tax discs.
Permanent address required? - DavidHM
I don't know if people actually do this, but one perfectly legal option would be to register the vehicle to a company, which is perfectly feasible if you move around with your business and need it to travel, whatever that may be.

The company has a registered office (a mailbox) and the drivers are its employees, or not, depending on the scope of the company's insurance.
Permanent address required? - Dwight Van Driver
IIRC correctly in the old days came across quite a few that used a Postal Box Number.

As it is now permissable when involved in an accident to give the name and address of your solicitor, as they are more affluent these days, maybe they do this. Comment PU?

Remember also stopping one that gave the address for production of his docs as Caravan Site, Doncaster.

RT2 came back only endorsed with " this is a rat infested piece of land"

DVD
Permanent address required? - Pugugly {P}
I have represented a number of our travelling community over the years. Many are registred to semi-permenant encampments, some have "addresses of convenience" (i.e. a brick built foundated house somewhere in England).

Oh and they always pay cash !
Permanent address required? - Dwight Van Driver
PS.......

One such driver stopped after taking name gave his address as "no fixed abode"

Passenger gave his name and when asked what his address was said " Flat above him" indicating driver.

DVD
Permanent address required? - Manatee
About 4 years ago I was run into by a reckelssly overtaking car that didn't stop. I got the number and reported it. The police came round and went through my MOT, insurance, licence before taking particulars.

The police were a bit cagey about telling me what result they'd had when I called them, but admitted they had been unable to trace the owner/driver, and that the car was wanted in conection with "other incidents".

I kept a lookout for the next few days and then saw the car parked by a local phone box. Phone call finished, the driver got back in the car and I followed it to the nearby travellers' site. I rang the police and after a bit of huffing and puffing they agreed to come out and tackle the driver.

Result - no tax, no insurance, no MOT. The driver said that at the time of the crash, she had lent the car to someone called Jimmy from Liverpool - no surname, no address, unfortunately! I surmised that Jimmy was also fingered for the other incidents.

I reckon it cost me about an extra £700 in excess and increased insurance premiums. There was no prosecution. The insurer's legal dept wrote to me a year later to say they had been unable to trace "Jimmy" but had been informed by the owner of the car that he was now deceased and they had filed their papers!
Permanent address required? - john deacon
dont suppose theres much chance of them getting 3 points from a speeding nip, nah thats right
Permanent address required? - keo-the-dog
in bristol there is a park bench registered as a postal address albeit for a completely different reason something to do with healthcare for down and outs...honest...cheers...keo