Volvo 850 performance - bobbylad
Hi all

Vovlo 850 auto GLT 2.0L 20 valve M reg ('94) 144,000m

OK...I know these are big heavy cars but i get the feeling I should be getting more 'ooomph' out of her.

To be more specific, I live in quite a hilly area and when the car starts to labour a bit and I respond by increasing the throttle, I feel and hear the auto box drop down a gear (or gears) but instead of an immediate pick up in speed the engine just seems to howl for quite a while and then slowly picks up speed. Is this normal for an automatic? (my first one).

Kick down is better....but the effect on the rev counter is alarming enough for me to immediately ease off!

The car seems to have been well cared for (bought it two weeks ago) and has been regularly serviced. Would a bit of TLC make any difference do you think? i.e. new air filter, plugs, oil change etc. (i realise it wouldn't hurt!)

Any advice appreciated

Regards
Bob
PS. please, no suggestions to post elsewhere....this is by far the best and most helpful forum on the net!

PPS. I'm pretty sure the auto box is working as it should and not slipping (doesn't appear to 'hunt'). Changes are very smooth and appear to occur at the right point.
Bob
anybody?
Volvo 850 performance - storme
1st thing you could do is check and refill the auto box with new oil,,should be a dipstick around to check the auto's box..that right,,a dipstick for the AUTO box[as well as engine]

also maybe give the injection system a squirt,,,,carb cleaner..is good for a clean,,maybe the engine will pick up a little better with a quick clean...
then just give it a tlc service

i quite often clean my injection system with a carb cleaner,,maybe that and some frsh oil would help :)
Volvo 850 performance - Altea Ego
"but instead of an immediate pick up in speed the engine just seems to howl for quite a while and then slowly picks up speed."

Its the auto box after 144k miles its getting tired. change the fluid
Thank you both!

Looked at the oil level in the box and i think it's too full!

It's a couple of mill' above the high mark both hot and cold.

I know it had a new solenoid fitted 20,000 miles ago along with fresh oil (it's not red but amber in colour and smells oily...not burnt toasty) that oil should still be OK you think?

I'll double check and drain out oil to correct level.

Also gonna give the throttle body a good clean (off the car!) apparantly this get mucky!

Thanks again for the advice

Bob

Volvo 850 performance - Aprilia
Unless the torque convertor is damaged or the 'box is slipping then it should be OK. Its an Aisan-Warner AW50-42 - a good Japanese 'box that should last 200k. If the fluid looks right then I would leave it. Couple of mm won't make any difference (are you checking the level properly?). Change fluid every 2years or 24k miles (it takes 6 litres of Dexron III for a refill).

Get the engine checked over - people often blame the autobox for engine problems. Check the kickdown cable setting. Consider manually shifting down a gear when going up/down hills, that's what the shift lever is there for.