nissan micra 1litre engine - cliff
i'm thinking of buying an M reg 1 litre 16 valve nissan micra with 102,000 miles on the clock. I'm a bit concerned about the high mileage on such a small engine, what do you think? Are they good for high mileages?
Thanks for any comments.
nissan micra 1litre engine - RichardM
Providing the oil's been changed regularly (ie every 3000 miles ideally as it lubricates the chain), and good quality coolant has been used, I don't see why not. The only likely problem is the throttle body issue, but that seems age, not mileage related.

Engine on my N reg runs good as new at 69K. I am certain it will be the tinworm which sees it off rather than the mechanicals, which seem well engineered.
nissan micra 1litre engine - cliff
how can i tell if there is a problem with the throttle body, what should i be looking for?
thanks
nissan micra 1litre engine - RichardM
Try a search of this forum as there was a thread about this recently. The problem causes rough running of the engine - poor idling, hesitation and pedal response. Seems very common at this age, though the fix seems to be quite straightforward as it just requires three solder joints re-soldering.
nissan micra 1litre engine - Salem
The engine in my 1994 M reg 1.0 was fine at 106k miles when I sold it a year ago. Most of the miles were country A/B roads with only the occasional bit of motorway or stop/start city driving.

It never had the throttle body problem, just the reluctance to start in the morning if it had been moved a short distance which I was never able to cure.

The clutch release bearing did end up relatively noisy, so if you have a listen to the engine running make sure to press the clutch in first so that it doesn't sound worse than it is.
nissan micra 1litre engine - Aprilia
Look out for rattling timing chain (although its not too dear to fix) also check for blown head gaskets. Its not as robust as the bigger Nissan engines.
Any hesitancy or poor throttle response is almost sure to be air flow meter. BBA-Reman do these on a 'sale or return' basis so you can try a recon one first. Cost is about £150 IIRC.