Anyone driven the new Panda? - Nickdm
- Been looking at a new Fiat Panda today: base 1.1 petrol model is going for only UK£5700 brand new (not pre-registered) at the local dealers.

Seems like a sound buy to replace the ageing Fiesta! Over a grand cheaper than any special offer Clio/C2/Fiesta I can find. And 5 doors is a big plus for my family.

Only 1 airbag and no power steering though - should that bother me? I can live with the manual windows, locks, and lack of radio.

Will only be doing approx 6k miles/year (second car) and I want something as new as possible, so I know what I'm getting. I plan to keep it several years.

So, a good deal? The only other possible "bargain" I can think of might be a new Daewoo/Chevy Kalos?
Anyone driven the new Panda? - autumnboy
I'm pretty sure you are incorrect about the airbag and the power steering.

The power steering is by a electric motor on the column and the bags are on the passenger side aswell as the drivers side and they have radios either factory fitted or on the base model a retro fitted radio.

Overhaul I think the model you discribe is a base model.
Anyone driven the new Panda? - carl_a
The base model (Active) does come with a second airbag and power steering but doesn't have ABS brakes. Kia Picanto is cheaper, sells better and has more equipment and one of the longer term reviews in autocar said it was better than the Fiat. For near the same money you can also have a Hyundai Getz with free 3 year servicing or 1 years insurance.
Anyone driven the new Panda? - john deacon
ABS is compulsory by law, so it must be on the base car
Anyone driven the new Panda? - Altea Ego
ABS is compulsory by law, so it must be on the
base car

What? since when?
Anyone driven the new Panda? - carl_a
ABS is compulsory by law, so it must be on the
base car

There was some sort of new law last May but the City Rover and also the base model Proton Gen 2 don't have ABS either.
Anyone driven the new Panda? - DavidHM
Checked the Fiat website and it appears that ABS is standard.

I would look seriously at the Hyundai Getz though - £6,499 with free insurance from www.hyundai-bcc.co.uk for a new 1.1 5 door or £5,499 for a pre-reg 3 door (no free insurance). The free servicing offer may now have ended but you do get a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.
Anyone driven the new Panda? - Dynamic Dave
>> ABS is compulsory by law, so it must be on the base car
What? since when?

www.autofinder.ie/asp1/afmain.asp?lnk=101&id=277
Anyone driven the new Panda? - paulb {P}
Mrs B has got one - 54-reg 1.2 Dynamic (the bog standard version, not CD, aircon or funny roof variants). Nice little car & very nippy. Got it on 3 years' 0%, too, but don't know whether that offer is still going.

It's also very nicely screwed together - every Punto I've ever had has had to go back to the dealer to have some boneheaded bit of quality control failing sorted out, but nothing of the sort with the Panda. Evidently these days the chaps in Poland are a bit better at screwing things together than the guys in Turin (or wherever it is that they make Puntos).

Only negative point I can think of is that the tyres are very narrow (155/80) and the standard fit Continental EcoContacts don't have the best grip in the world. Very decent ride quality, though - and it's a heck of a lot quieter than a Punto, as well.

I'd recommend one without hesitation - certainly Mrs B is very chuffed with hers.
Anyone driven the new Panda? - budu
I haven't driven one. It was enough to look in and sit in one: the pedal box is too small for my size 11s and the boot is too small for the weekly shopping trip. A shame as it seems an engaging little car and one of the few that would fit down my narrow driveway.