insurance claim - gingerwinger
yesturday when i was driving back from work my car went up in smoke. the fire brigde say it was i faulty fan motor. the car was major fire damage (from dash to engine bay). how do the insurance company put a price on it as all the documents was in the glove box v5,mot,service book etc etc. also how do they do the milage as all the dash has gone. can i claim for the stereo, car phone kit (nokia kit), cds.... i am not sure as this is the first claim i have made in over 10 yrs...
thanks in advance
mark
insurance claim - Schnitzel
Oh dear :o(
You can claim a certain amount for personal effects?
Are the documents salvageable? or are you not alowed near the car for health reasons?
insurance claim - bimmer-driver
I thought it was a complete no-no to keep all the documents in the glovebox incase someone steals it?
insurance claim - Badger
In France, it is mandatory to carry them. You can't win.
insurance claim - Dynamic Dave
how do the insurance company put a price on it as all the documents
was in the glove box v5,mot,service book etc etc. also how do they
do the milage as all the dash has gone.

Assuming the service book was up to date, contacting the garage that stamped it *should* have a record of the mileage at the last service. Same goes for whoever did the MOT. If that was several months ago, you should be able work out your average weekly/monthly mileage and add to the figure obtained from the garage to give the insurance company an estimated figure.
insurance claim - Ex-Moderator
I was in an office once which burned down. It was a dramatic and serious fire which was quick and caused a lot of loss and damage. The companies concerned assured all concerned that all losses would be compensated

Apparantly 68% of the employees had a Mont Blanc pen on their desk at the time of the fire, and a further 47% had some photograph or other essential to their emotional well-being.

All the lessons you need would be included within that story.

insurance claim - Badger
But did they have the receipts?
the service book and mot was in the glove box i have found the v5 in a draw at home. also do they cover the cost of changing my private plate to another car. i dont know who did the mot as i have only had the car for 7 weeks. only 6 days ago a paid out for a new alternater cost of £200. can i claim for that????? i have been to the recovery yard where it was taken to and all my stuff in the boot is smoke damaged.
insurance claim - Badger
Your household insurance may cover some of this claim.
just got off the phone after talking to the insurance claims people. the car is a write off and god knows how they do there pricing but for my 1996 1.7td astra with 98k they are going to pay £1350 plus costs to replace my stereo,nokia hands free kit, two coats in the boot and some tools. that should cost about £500+. i only paid £750 for it. last time i had to claim was when a bloke drove up my backside then they made an offer £900 less then what it was worth....