starting problems Cavalier 1.7TD 1995 - madmonty
Hi,
I have a 1995 cavalier 1.7TD GLS. Recently over the last week or 2, when starting the car for the first time in the morning, the starter engages the engine, the engine turns but a second or so later, the starter retracts before the engine gets a chance to start. Once started and warm, it seems to operate normally.

I have had the starter out with the notion of replacing it. After a clean, the bushes look fine. The clutch for the drive was OK. I put it in a vice and tried to turn, it wouldn't shift. The return spring is also in good condition. The moter is OK as it turns the engine well.
The only thing I saw "abnormal", was the 3 screws securing the bendix were very loose. I tightened these and put the starter back in. After letting the car sit overnight, in the morning (a cold one) the car started first time with no problems. The following day, back to the same fault where the motor disengages before the engine fires. My wife who pointed this out to me says it isn't as bad as before but very similar symptoms.

Any ideas?

Thanks
starting problems Cavalier 1.7TD 1995 - Civic8
Your starter motor may have an out of round commutator.Ie brushes miss the commutator..could be caused by dust in brush housing or where the brush has shorted to commutator during miss.ie carboned up..A strip down will tell.Would look in that direction anyway. As your solenoid is working.
--
Steve
starting problems Cavalier 1.7TD 1995 - madmonty
Thanks
Sounds like that is where the problem is. I mustn't have cleaned everything.

This morning, (Saturday) I started the car, It went first time but you could hear the starter trying to disengage but not completely...

This is way better than a £100 new motor or £30 drive kit...

Thanks again
starting problems Cavalier 1.7TD 1995 - Victorbox
Just a thought. My petrol Cavalier exhibited "odd" starting from cold similar to what you descibe for about 6 months. I started to think the starter switch on the end of the ignition barrel was worn or the starter motor or wiring in between could be at fault. Then one day the battery died. A new Delco battery from Vauxhall and the starting has been perfect ever since.