Mondeo - braking problem - Wally Zebon
I've got a 2001 MK3 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec that has recently scared me silly!
3 times now, when I've pressed the brake pedal, it hits the floor before the ABS kicks in and I finally start to slow down. Every other time it is fine. 2 of the times were within 200 yards of my home, but the third one was about 10 minuted into my daily commute.
I have no warning that it is going to happen other than the pedal goes long and I don't slow down.

Any ideas?
Mondeo - braking problem - Dynamic Dave

1. Is there any brake fluid in the reservoir under the bonnet?
2. Has the brake fluid ever been changed?
3. Have the brakes been bled since this has happened?
4. If not, then get them done and see if it solves the problem.
5. Stop using the car until the problem is diagnosed and rectified.
Mondeo - braking problem - cheddar
Take it to a Ford dealer quickly. I mean take it soon, drive it slowly to get there.
Mondeo - braking problem - MW
Does it go down in a soft spongy way (possible fluid problem) or a stright 'hard' way (master cylinder problem). Needs fixing now!
Mondeo - braking problem - Wesley
My 2 year old Mondeo 2.0 has a similar problem.
On just two recent occasions the brakes have failed to stop the car.
Each time was under heavy breaking and you have to question the ABS, which seems to cut in and release brake pressure but then does not cut back in quick enough, with the car stopping 10 to 20 feet further on than you wanted!
The problem is under investigation.
Mondeo - braking problem - Cyd
A UK manufacturer of 4x4 vehicles has the same problem with its mid range vehicle. The problem is very small amounts of plastic swarf in the brake master cylinder. As long as this swarf just floats around in the fluid nothing untoward happens. But the moment a piece gets stuck between the edge of the piston seal and cylinder bore, BANG - pedal goes to floor and no braking. The cure is a new master cylinder. Your Mundano could have the same problem. Trouble is, you're out of warranty now. Try and see if you get any joy from the dealer, otherwise dismantle and re-seal your master cylinder.