Sluggish 95M Xantia 1.9TDi VSX - No Do$h
150,000 mile Xantia. Sluggish. Oh so sluggish. Will barely accelerate at 70, doesn't go over 3,000rpm in lower gears without cutting out, smokes like a teenage mother.

Car hasn't had an oil, oilfilter or airfilter change in 48,000 miles. I'm getting the owner onto this at the weekend. This may be part of the problem, but I fear things are a bit more serious than that.

First thoughts are airflow meter (afm) or throttle potentiometer as I understand these are weak points on this engine. I can't see evidence of any leaks in the ducting to the turbo, but then I can't seem to locate the afm either! I was planning on unplugging it to see if the problem lay there or not.

Anyone with any experience of this engine able to offer assistance?

Cheers,

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Sluggish 95M Xantia 1.9TDi VSX - RichardW
One things for sure ND, you'll spend a long time looking for an AFM on this engine.... A 95 Xantia is all mechanical injection, no electrickery to speak of. Your first port of call is to get that air filter changed, and bung in some injector cleaner, then give a good thrash (difficult if it won't rev). However, I strongly suspect you will find the turbo waste gate is sezied, and it's not making any boost hence the poor performance. Could be more serious, like the turbo is seized or the shaft broken. Either way it's probably good night for a car of this mileage and vintage, which is worth about 20p - IF the turbo was working!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Sluggish 95M Xantia 1.9TDi VSX - No Do$h
Cheers Rich. Knew I wasn't going mad when I couldn't see an AFM under the bonnet. The Italian tune up, some filters and some oil it is then.

Any clues on unsticking the wastegate if that proves to be the problem?
Sluggish 95M Xantia 1.9TDi VSX - Stuartli
I'm aware this has little to do with the problem but will be of interest to XM, Xantia and C5 owners.

The January 2002 issue of Top Gear ran a story about Paul Johnson, an ex-Citroen salesman who owns the XM centre in Oxford (Sanford-on-Thames, 02135-536284).

It seems Paul always has 30 to 40 XMs and Xantias on his forecourt, can coax 200,000 miles plus out of the models and understands the requirements of owners.

He is quoted as stating: "In my view the 2.0 turbo is the most reliable piece of kit Citroen has made, V6s from '94 are OK and the diesel 2.1 is as bulletproof as you'll get."

Paul adds that the famously dodgy electrics were only a problem on early models.

He was stated to have a waiting list for the more desirable estates and diesel models (at least back in 2002).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by