New Car? - bimmer-driver
Hello,
Managed to save up enough money to treat myself to a nicer, shinier, newer car than present runabout ('97 Pug 106). Have got about three to three and a half grand to spend plus whatever the 106 gets. Problem is, I don't know what the 106 is worth. Its a 1997(P) 3dr Extra Time special edition, done 62000 miles and is in good nick for an eight year old motor. Also just had a new cluth and cambelt change. How much for part-ex?
Second question is what do we all make of Punto's? I ve seen a 2003 1.2 Active 5dr at a local dealer for 3995. Is in nice condition and has only done 19000, and to me seems a good deal, however I don't know that much about cars so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ben
New Car? - dilbert
You may well be inundated with replies from those who will warn against Fiat ownership, despite never having owned one. For what it's worth my own experience is that they're no worse than any other small European car in terms of reliability and durability. However, Puntos are not sophticated things and I suspect that you'll find that it is not a significant leap forward from your old 106. The only other thing to mention is that many Puntos start their life on rental fleets - not necessarily a problem but check history and condition carefully.

Not sure about the value of the Pug. Have you thought about a private sale? Could save you a few quid compared to a trade-in. Sounds like good eBay material to me...

New Car? - king chris
I've owned a Fiat Punto from new in March 2002.

No problems in 35,000 miles.

Car was recalled once to replace ECU but managed to schedule this with a service.

Runs on next to no fuel.

Not much to go wrong though.
New Car? - tyro
In Jan 2002 I had a Punto as a hire car for 3 weeks. I quite liked it - engine seemed good, and it was comfortable and roomy.

My only question marks were over the headlights. Maybe my imagination, but I didn't feel they gave a very good spread of light, so I wasn't seeing round corners at night as well as I would have expected . . . if you know what I mean.
New Car? - bimmer-driver
Me again- Punto has been sold so thats that, but it was a hire car anyway from new so probably wouldn't have been that good a buy.
I'm just after something thats much more comfortable than the 106, as I've had enough of the crappy driving position (I'm 6'2). I quite fancy a Yaris, as HJ really rates them.
But thanks anyway for the replies.