Scenic driving me - or not - nuts - TPBstu
I've got a 2003 Renault Scenic 1.6 and I'm having this intermitent fault that seems to be happening more and more regularly.

Every now and again the car seems to have no response at all when I try and start the car. When I walk away and leave the car for 20 minutes and try again it usually starts first time. The battery seems to be strong, as lights, radio and central locking all work perfectly however the starter motor doesn't turn over at all.

My first thought was that the immobiliser was faulty but the AA say thats not the case. They've taken meter readings from around the starter motor and they say that its getting the necessary charge but even so they witnessed the fault and were at a loss as to what was wrong.

I've noticed others have had problems with Renaults that look similar. I've checked and cleaned the battery connections but this has had no effect. Does anyone have any other suggestions ?
Scenic driving me - or not - nuts - Peter D
If it correct that the AA stated that all the appropriate voltages were present including the Pre engage starter solenoid feed when you select start on the key, then I suspect a dry or fractured joint of the solenoid windings, quite common. This could also be a brush problem as some starters route the current that flows through the solenoid through the starter motor brushes and windings to allow the motor to turn to encourage engagement prior to the solenoid pulling and making the contacts to power the motor. I am assuming that you do not hear the solenoid click when you have the fault condition. I’m afraid the starter will have to come off for investigation, repair or replacement. To check this you could run a wire from the solenoid feed back into the car and put a low wattage bulb on it, so you can see it light up every time you start, or not as may be. Regards Peter
Scenic driving me - or not - nuts - Altea Ego
Happens on quite a few Mk 1's. The starter motor appears not have enough oommph to turn the engine over when its stopped at certains parts of the combustion cycle.

Put it in gear, give it a heavy push to turn the engine slightly and it will start!

The battery on mk1 scenics is feeble and pathetic.
Scenic driving me - or not - nuts - tpbstu
Thanks for the replies guys. The AA were back out at it again this morning and this time a tap with the handle of a hammer on the starter motor got it started. The AA guy says he suspects a sticky solanoid in the starter motor so I took the car off to the dealer to pass on this information.

The dealer though says that the car is starting first time everytime and they cannot see a fault.

Looks like it will be a catch 22 situation where the car is under warranty but to get work done the car has to be broken, yet to get it to the dealership it needs to work.
Scenic driving me - or not - nuts - Peter D
The AA will issue a fault report for you and you can take it to the dealership to use as evidence to satisfy the warrantee. Good Luck. Regards Peter