Scenic Drives in Scotland - BrianM
Rather than go abroad this summer, we've decided to have a week or so touring Scotland. We had a few days around Loch Lomand and the Trossachs a couple of years ago and it was superb. This time, I'm thinking that we should drive up much further into the Highlands. Does anyone have any recommendations for any really scenic routes?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Scenic Drives in Scotland - john deacon
well i know its not motoring but the train lines

glasgow-fort william
inverness-kyle
fort william-mallaig

are the ultimate scenic routes often going miles away from nearest roads, deer come right up to train

if u fancy a day off from driving try one of these on your travels
Thanks for that. We've already thought about the Fort William to Mallaig train and will probably do this. The other half tells me this is featured in one of the Harry Potter films.

Brian
yea the bridge in the film is just north of fort william near a monument, which is a nice place to stop if driving

kyle line is best i feel

oh yea and u can do fort william to mallaig on a steam train in the warmer months, u have to book in advance to get seats
Scenic Drives in Scotland - PhilW
"train lines
glasgow-fort william
inverness-kyle
fort william-mallaig"
Or go by road - each of those routes is fantastic for scenery. Haven't been for many a year but virtually anywhere up in the north-west highlands is memorable - places that stick in the mind are silver sands of Morar, Torridan, Applecross, Shieldaig, Poolewe, Isle of Skye via Kyle of Lochalsh.
Others will advise more precisely.
In summer watch out for midges - can be awful - take plenty of "Jungle Formula" or a good few ounces of St Bruno for your pipe.

i like skye but dont tell everyone
Scenic Drives in Scotland - DougB
Hi Brian - Glasgow-Inveraray-Oban is a great run. You can take a couple of days on route to do the Mull of Kintyre. From Oban take the ferry to Mull and stay in Tobermory. Mull is a great place if you like it quiet. (and I mean quiet!)

As previously mentioned midgies and clegs (horseflies) are vicious.

Regards DougB.

Scenic Drives in Scotland - Welliesorter
I've never suffered from midges in Scotland but maybe I haven't been there when they're out in force. When is the midge season?

I suspect that Brian has already discovered one of my favourite bits of Scotland: the Dukes Pass near Aberfoyle. Given its proximity to Edinburgh and Glasgow, it amazes me how uncrowded the Trossachs area is.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - Roger Jones
Brian

Make the effort to go to the far northwest, starting in Ullapool and trundling north through Lochinver, around the peninsula road through Clachtoll, Stoer and Drumbeg, to Kylesku. Then up to Scourie and get over to the island of Handa, which is a wonderful seabird sanctuary. Then trek up to Durness on the north coast and take in Cape Wrath; then drift along the north coast, possibly staying at the nice hotel in Tongue.

The landscape is enchanting -- like nothing else in these islands and very different from the main mountainous areas of Scotland itself. BUT, in high summer, midges and caravans are a real nuisance. Because of that, I've spent more springtime holidays up there than I can count, and in April and May the incidence of excellent weather is surprisingly high. Alternatively, consider an autumn up there.

Wherever you go are endless possibilities via side roads to glorious beaches and great walks of all grades of difficulty. Once you've seen those isolated mountains -- Stac Pollaidh, Cul Mor, Suilven, Canisp, Quinag -- in the sunset, you'll never forget them.

I don't know where you are, but from Herts you can get there in 12 hours of determined driving. The roads beyond Inverness have improved out of all recognition since I first went there in the 1970s and there was little but single track with passing places.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - Dude - {P}
May is definitely the best month to visit Scotland IMHO when the midge count is low and the heather is out in full bloom, creating a breathtaking carpet of colour to add to the scenery impact. I can also recommend the drive up from Oban past Fort William, a visit over to Skye, especially now there is no charge for the road bridge, and then on up to Ullapool and Cape Wrath.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - Tornadorot
You might want to check out Iain Banks' Raw Spirit - it may be ostensibly a book about whisky, but there's quite a lot about driving around Scotland's "Great Wee Roads" among other, not strictly whisky-related, things (such as how wonderful the BMW M5 is, and what happens when you drive a Porsche 911 too fast in the wet...)
Scenic Drives in Scotland - madf
Perth and the countryside (mountains) round it can be lovely.
As aScot I caution you need a maguician to control the weather..

madf

Scenic Drives in Scotland - Happy Blue!
Yep Raw Spirit is a great palce to start planning trip around Scotland. Great book and a great tour guide as well.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Scenic Drives in Scotland - Stuartli
To be honest driving anywhere in Scotland is sheer pleasure - the private bed and breakfast establishments are also some of the best in the UK and remarkably cheap.

But if you do really get off the beaten track - and there are plenty of places you can - make sure you have a mobile with you just in case and always have some idea where you are...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Have a look too at the Undescovered Scotland website:

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/johnogroats/johnogr.../
Just remembered that ferry company Caledonian MacBrayne (affectionately known as CalMac) has various ticket combinations for cars and passengers if you wish to visit any of the islands:

www.calmac.co.uk/

Much of the islands' economies and means of travelling rely heavily on the superb service of the ferry company.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - tyro
Agree with most of above.

Broadly speaking, midges have a shorter season the further north you go. If North of Ullapool, mid-July to late-September. If South of Ullapool, you are more likely to get them in June.

Weather unpredictable. May is usually the best time to go, June not bad either.

As for scenery, it's all a matter of taste. Ullapool through Durness to Tongue is good, as is the road to Achiltibuie, and the area around Lochinver, especially the Lochinver-Drumbeg-Kylesku road, is great, as Roger says.

You can't actually drive to Cape Wrath - you cross the Kyle of Durness by non-vehicle ferry, and get a minibus to the Cape. Another place you can't drive to is Sandwood Bay, near Kinlochbervie - it's a 5 mile walk from the car part, but well worth it.

As Stuartli says, Undiscovered Scotland is an excellent website.

A good website for North West corner of the mainland is

www.sutherlandcommunity.co.uk/
Thanks for all the suggestions - looks like we'll be spoilt for choice!

Brian
Scenic Drives in Scotland - tyro
Perhaps I should add that while there are good reasons for going to Cape Wrath, the drive itself is, in my opinion, one of the least scenic in the Highlands!
Scenic Drives in Scotland - daveyjp
We have taken advantage of one of Calmacs multi route tickets to visit Islay and Arran. Excellent service and Islay, whilst being a good way out is well worth the visit - especially if whisky is your tipple! The long trip to get there means very quiet roads, but the scenery isn't as spectacular as the Highlands.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - Bromptonaut
Stuartli,

Thanks for the link. Been a regular visitor to the Hebrides, particularly South Harris, for 20yrs but not seen that site before. The onward link to the Calmac fans website was a real trip down memory lane.
I love Scotland - been going there since I was about seven years of age. The journey took around six or seven hours in an Austin 8 and we stayed with relatives in Glasgow...:-)

My mother was half-Scottish but could never persuade me to wear a kilt. I had no intention, even at such a tender age, to be mocked back home for wearing a "dress"....
Scenic Drives in Scotland - John24
If you get as far as John o' Groats, try the day trip to Kirkwall on Orkney - ferry from JoG to Burwick on South Ronaldsay, coach meets you and takes you to Kirkwall via the Italian Chapel, built by prisoners of war, over the Churchill Barriers round Scapa Flo, out to Stone Age site of Scara Brae and back to JoG. Not expensive and not to be missed. Whatever you do, enjoy.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - Wally Zebon
Last Easter I took my Fiance up north and stayed in Corpach (the best place to view Ben Nevis) just outside Fort William. We took an evening drive along to Mallaig (A830) and it was breathtaking! We almost had the road to ourselves in both directions. We even had an opportunity to stop and photograph a group of stags by the roadside.

The following day we drove up to Skye. We took the A87 through Glen Sheil, but headed west to Glenelg to take the ferry "over the sea to Skye". We then proceeded to tour the entire island, taking in a boat trip to see the seals at Dunvegan before heading back over the road bridge and back the way we came.

As an alternative to the far north, you could try the extreme south west (my neck of the woods). If you head up the M6, turn left at Gretna and take the A75 towards Stranraer. This road can be stunning on a nice summers evening as it skirts the coast for long periods. Stop off in Kirkcudbright on the way.
From there head north up the Clyde to Glasgow and from there onwards and northwards for even more stunning scenery.

Scenic Drives in Scotland - frazerjp
Ive been on the A75 twice from Stranraer ferry port heading towards Dumfries. Driving down you get a great view looking out towards the irish sea & the hills surrounding the landscape! :)
Scenic Drives in Scotland - VTiredeyes
bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1734&highligh...p

take a look, this guy run his scoob in in 1 day.
dont know if it will help, but an interesting read nonetheless.
Scenic Drives in Scotland - keo-the-dog
you might enjoy a drive around loch lomond beautifull roads but watch the bends one or two have landed in the water quite a few have been killed on this road although it really is beautifull just watch those bends...cheers...keo
Scenic Drives in Scotland - keo-the-dog
sorry you already done that just read it again...cheers...keo
Thanks anyway - we would happily do that area again, but probably for a long weekend as we're only a couple of hours from Scotland.

Brian