New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - mountainkat
Considering buying a 2004 Hyundai Coupe, test-driven a couple & thought it was pretty good - anyone got one or have any opinions / experience of them ???

(for info I'm changing from a Ford Puma)

thanks

simon

(Road test at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=126)

New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - mare
For what its worth, Top Gear like it, and made a point of saying so after panning a load of Korean Cars.

I think it looks great, but i've never been in one
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - BazzaBear {P}
It is meant to be a good car. There are two reservations I have about it, but they're very personal so I wouldn't worry about them:

1) IMO the first Hyundia Coupe was SO much better looking. In an attempt to copy a Ferrari, they've completely ruined the look of it in my opinion.

2) 165bhp from a 2.7 V6??? Are they having a laugh? I get that from the 2.0 in my Alfa! On the other hand, I suppose you could see that as a good thing. It suggests it's not a highly stressed engine!
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - Vansboy
Good looking &, so it seems, good car,!!

BUT...........

Have you noticed how OLD, all the coupe drivers look &, as I've said before, how YOUNG they look in an Mx5!!!!???

Even if you don't fancy the Mazda, check your birth certificate, prior to placing an order with Hyundai!!

VB
VB,

sorry but don't really get your point - if you think the car that you drive will make you look younger then your in serious trouble !! & anyway who gives a stuff what anyone else thinks you look like ??

Think the MX5 has been around a bit too long now too -- not really looking for a softtop either, not with our weather, give me aircon anyday !!!

----------------------------

Back to the car thing - test drove a couple of Hyundai 2.0SE's & been pretty impressed, build quality seems good, seems to have got all the kit you want (with the exception of a much needed electrical aerial) & 5yrs warranty --- hmmmm, sounds like I've nearly convinced myself

Only possible downsides seem to be:

1. Image - never really been too fussed about this, buying a car on image alone is often a pretty big mistake, also risk the chance of missing something pretty good just for the sake of been "image conscious"

2. depreciation - coupe seems to suffer a bit more than some of its competitors but I guess if you intend to keep it a good few years then it won't really be that noticeable ?? Think the 2.Ose isn't as bad as the V6 in this area
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - Aprilia
Mountainkat - what's your opinion on the Puma? Any problems with it?

Hyundai's are generally well put together IMHO - don't know much about the Coupe though. I wouldn't pay much attention to the Top Gear programme about Korean cars - from the same people who made a programme a few years back telling us all to stay clear of Japanese grey imports....
Hyundai aren't stupid, and anyway lots of their engineers are Japanese (MMC), American or European with a lot of development work done in the UK and elsewhere.
Aprilia,

Puma's a nice car - great handling & composure (a bit of body-roll but nothing much). Can have problems with paintwork (loads of stonechips), mine had rust on sills after 2yrs old - not a major problem though. Interior is pretty much standard Fiesta, decent enough with the odd rattle here & there - again nothing much really. All in all I'd say its a great little car, if Ford would have made a replacement with similar characteristics I'd have probably bought it !!!

In comparison to Hyundai I'd say the Puma (1.7 anyway) feels more like a "hot-hatch" - Hyundai is more reserved, probably more of a "sport tourer" (not that that's bad). Think Hyundai is better built & definitely has more "kit", hopefully dealers are better too !!!
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - carl_a
You can't go far wrong as a 2004 will still have at least 4 years warranty left. The current coupe look good to me, didn't like the old ones much.

For some reason people seem to think that Hyundai is only a small player, they sell more cars than Honda, Mazda & Subaru put together in Europe and are the second Asian manufacturer in sales.
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Martin Wall
Aargh! Just typed in a v. big message which got lost! Here's a shorter version:

Coupe just minimally revamped - so 2004 model should cost less.

Toyota Celica a better car - better safety and security - but more expensive.

New 2.0SE coupe from drivethedeal at over £2000 discount - get a BIG discount for used 2004 model or walk away.

Car called Tiburon in US if you try a web search.

Links:

www.ukhcc.co.uk/
www.hyundai-bcc.co.uk/

Good luck - let us know what you decide.

Meant to add - electric aerial is a dealer fit part:

www.mckearymotors.co.uk/accessory_details.asp?id=30
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - Tomo
"165bhp from a 2.7 V6?"

The odd thing is they quote 176bhp for the 2.7 in the Sonata. It goes quite well, and feels as if it could be set up to do more.
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - trancer
Its 176 in the Tiburon as well, but who cares what the actual figure is, if it feels powerful enough for your own use.
Regarding prices Bolton Hyundai (BCC) are selling 2004 (reg june/july) 2.0SE's with 4000/5000 miles on for around 12K, off to have a look this week & could well make a purchase if cars are tidy

--- lot of car I think for 12k & 4.5yrs warranty left too
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - Vansboy
If you're looking at verrrrrrrrrrrrry low miles on 53 plate, main dealer, or factory name in the book, but, possibly NOT from a within the dealer network, check the paintwork warranty is still valid.

I posted, a couple of months back the black, red & blue ones sold in BCA Derby, having the ENTIRE body covered with a stone chipped appearence.

Not sure if it was pollution damage, or paint failure, but either way, a re-paint was the order of the day.

Made a shade under £10k IIRC.

VB
cars from BCC hyundai at Bolton are ex-hyundai owned (employee lease scheme) - theyre a main dealer so can't imagine there will be any problems - 12K for a 2004/5000 miles seems very cheap to me after having a good look around.

Main dealer near me selling as ex-demo same year/spec for 14K
New Hyunda coupe - any good ?? - Happy Blue!
We bought a new Trajet from BCC.

Very easy to deal with and service department seems OK too.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
well, that's it signed up for one, test driven it again & thought it was pretty good - not quite the "hot hatch" feel of the Puma I owned but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth now anyway so a "sports tourer" is probably more my thing.

Great deal from BCC by the way - definitely the place to go if you want a coupe !!!
Were BCC flexible on price then?
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - mountainkat
paid 12K for a 2004 2.0SE with 4500 on the clock - pretty good I reckon, dealer seems to have 2 prices - those on the forecourt (normally around 13.5k for a 2.0SE & those on the internet - around £12.5k for the same car !! Little bit of flexibility on internet price but not loads - think the time of year makes a difference too !!
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Stuartli
Although I've not driven the new coupe, I'm told it handles and rides far better than the old one and that the quality of the interior plastics, other materials and fit and finish is far superior.

The coupe, whether the old one or the new one, has always caught the eye and the warranty backup is a vast improvement on other marques.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Sorry for answering my own question but just collected my 04 plate 2.0SE & can honestly say I'm very impressed. Previously owned a Ford Puma but the Hyundai is a step up the ladder in most respects - performance wise its perhaps a little more sedate, doesn't quite have the "hot hatch" fell more the "sporting tourer" but for me that too is a step forward.

All I can say is for 12K it certainly is some car - try one & see for yourself!!
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Happy Blue!
Well Done - enjoy!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Canon Fodder

Hi mountainkit

I'm a bit late replying but I've had a 54 2.0se in Ocean Blue since September. Here's my run down from best to worse.

Looks.
Are in the eye of the beholder of course but for me it's just stunning - the best looking car on the road. Yep I'm in love. The paint work seems perfect on mine, I gather this is something Hyundai have worked on

Cabin & comfort
Again a matter of taste but I like a cosy cockpit interior, with lots of black leather which is what the coupe delivers. Driving position is tip top, low and square on with great sports seats and the all important left foot rest. Combine all this with good stereo and aircon systems and you've got a car with serious GT abilities.

A roads and Motorways.
With plenty of power, a slick gearbox and flat cornering it's a fun car to drive on fast A roads. Motorway work is good too as the car feels very planted and rides very smoothly at speed. I had a sublime week in Snowdonia, hilly, bendy, smooth roads with no traffic, the only drawback being the constant threat of the dreaded roboplod.

Costs.
You already know it's cheap to buy and you can get a new 1.6s for £11k which is less than a Renault Modus - nuff said. Lease costs are £200 a month for my 2.0se which is £30 less than the comparable Celica. Insurance also reasonable at group 10. Fuel consumption is around 40 mpg at a steady 70 dropping to 25ish at 90.

Reliability.
Not perfect in my case, a new SRS module was needed and the well known alarm fault has cropped up once.

Around town.
We're getting down to the negatives now. I would say its not a town car, as fuel consumption gets heavy, the turning circle is positively nautical, and the ride is downright uncomfortable over potholes. This is not a car to mini-cab in.

Theres no getting away from it, just mention the word Hyundai and you can sense the word Dork hanging over you. Also as Vansboy mentions coupe owners tend to be of a certain age, if not a downright old git like megoodself.

Dealer pronunciation.
They all call it a 'Coop' as in chicken, not Coop-Ay - totally unacceptable.

It's been my favourite car since my beloved mark 2.1 toyota MR2, to which the Hyundai is surprisingly similar.

CF
Hi CF,

Only driven mine from Bolton back to North Wales so far (+ 4 test-drives) so not driven on all road-surfaces as yet (notably bad ones). Did read in a couple of reviews about it being harsh when hitting potholes - that was where my previous "puma" was probably better.

Personally image-wise I'm not too bothered, it's all about the driving experience & quality of the car for me & for the money I'm sure that there isn't much (if anything) around to come close

Guess the alarm problem you mention is related to the sensitivity of the ultrasonics ?? read it on the Hyundai Coupe forum (link enclosed if you don't already know it)

www.xorro.eclipse.co.uk/ukhcs/forums/
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Canon Fodder
Personally image-wise I'm not too bothered, it's all about the driving experience & quality of the car for me & for the money I'm sure that there isn't much (if anything) around to come close

Quite right MK, being obsessed with 'cool' branding is a mugs game.

I hope you enjoy the car, I'm still getting a buzz even cruising down to tesco after 5 months with the car.

CF
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - puntoo
If you are after driving experience then get a late Fiat Coupe 20v turbo. 0-60 in just over 6 seconds, 150 top speed. 7-9k would find a very nice unmolested example.

Only problem is that some parts and service are expensive and some bits are weak . Build quality is better than normal fiat as they were built by pinnerferina (or whatever the name is) and the styling was done by Chris Bangle (yes that Chris Bangle)

Insurance group 18 is the only downside and having to budget for the cambelt change (£400). The money left over (3-4k) would keep it running for a good few years.
Considered the Fiat Coupe before I bought my previous car (ford puma). Did have a short test-drive & was impressed but unfortunately the overall package didn't appeal -- insurance group / reliability issues & according to what I read at the time poor dealer network

The puma was an allround better prospect for me, similar to the Hyundai - just the best allround package for me at the moment, if Ford had not lost all their ambition/invention & produced another Puma I may well have bought that instead of the Hyundai but they didn't so the Hyundai met my needs perfectly & for the money it certainly is a good package
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - BazzaBear {P}
If you are after driving experience then get a late Fiat
Coupe 20v turbo. 0-60 in just over 6 seconds, 150 top
speed. 7-9k would find a very nice unmolested example.
Only problem is that some parts and service are expensive and
some bits are weak . Build quality is better than normal
fiat as they were built by pinnerferina (or whatever the name
is) and the styling was done by Chris Bangle (yes that
Chris Bangle)
Insurance group 18 is the only downside and having to budget
for the cambelt change (£400). The money left over (3-4k) would
keep it running for a good few years.

I just did :D
And the trick is to get one that's just had the cambelt done.
£5k for a georgeous car which feels fantastic to drive, and puts a smile on my face just from looking at it.
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Vansboy
& for current auction values...

Yesterday in BCA Enfield, 04, 4100miles, 2.7se, pretty electric blue (maybe Ocean Blue, like Canon's car) bid to £10,400.

Now THAT is value - if the bidder gets it, for that money!!

Thought the drivers seat was already showing it's use, though. Still, you will choose sit on dead animal skin!!

VB
I believe that the 2.7V6 isn't proving too popular - 2.0SE seems the model of choice - I've seen V6's advertised for nearly the same money as a 2.0

A lot of reviews suggest it's not worth spending the extra cash on the V6 over the 2.0 & perhaps this is doing some damage, together with the higher insurance rating & fuel consumption ??
New Hyundai coupe - any good ?? - Vansboy
Agreed!

Thats why I said 'Good Value', but as with most vehicles, the mid range engine, quite often prooves the best, or most sensible option, when you come down to owning.

VB