306 clutch - Chuffer Dandridge
When we privately purchased an N reg Peugeot 306 Xld recently, the seller told us the clutch had just been replaced. This may or may not be true.

Shortly afterwards we had trouble changing gear, and the clutch was biting extremely early (barely off the floor).

I reckoned the clutch cable had stretched beyond the limits of the auto-adjuster, and effected a temporary cure by putting some spacers onto the cable at the release fork end (effectively shortening the cable). Although the clutch now releases and gear change is okay, the pedal has got progressively harder to depress.

We have subsequently taken the car to our usual garage, who have told us it needs a new clutch, and that adjusting the cable had worsened matters. The clutch is not slipping.

Questions:

1. How has the garage diagnosed the need for a new clutch, if it is not slipping?

2. How would the temporary cure have worsened the problem?
306 clutch - Dynamic Dave
The spring fingers in the centre of the clutch *could* be wearing - hence why the clutch pedal had to be put to the floor. Adding the spacers sounds like only a temporary cure, and *maybe* the fingers have worn some more?

Before shelling out for a new clutch though, why not take the easy approach and change the cable first and see what happens?

306 clutch - Peter D
If the clutch was away it would disengage as soon as you pressed it. Either the cable is about to break or the auto adjuster is not working or failed. Press the clutch to the floor ( engine off ) and let your foot slip off the pedal sideways so the pedal shoots back up against the limit stop and this should jolt the auto adjuster back into life. Regards Peter
306 clutch - Chuffer Dandridge
Thanks for responses, which are very helpful. Having read them through and had another look at the manual I think the seller had perhaps changed the clutch friction plate, but not the pressure plate, & that it is the friction plate that is failing, hence the clutch was barely disengaging.

The spacers I put on the cable have given it an extra push,forcing the worn springs on the friction plate to disengage the clutch.

I'm taking it to be looked at by a mechanic on Saturday. It would be nice if it only needs a new cable, but I'm not overly optomistic.