Xantia Speedo - Simon Collier
I have a 200k '95 Xantia 1.9TD. For some time now the speedo has been erratic, sometimes working, sometimes displaying 50mph whatever speed I'm doing. It's progressively got worse so that now it doesn't work 90% of the time (I've been driving using the Rev Counter). Will this be the speedo cable or the dial? Is it going to cost me more than the cars worth to fix it?

Thanks
Simon
Xantia Speedo - mfarrow
I would imagine a car of this vintage would be cable driven but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The fact that the needle's stuck at 50mph suggests it's the dial not the cable. A confirmation of this is if it's still counting the miles. With this in mind my advice would be to replace the clocks with ones from a breaker.
Xantia Speedo - Simon Collier
It's still counting the miles, I was afraid that it'd be the dials. I assume it is a pig to replace - dashboard out?
Thanks for the response
Xantia Speedo - Mondaywoe
Some early Xantias had iffy cables. I bought one new in 1993 and the speedo was erratic and made a clicking sound as I recall. The garage fixed it at the first service - said they put a washer into the back of the speedo (I think) It's a simple mod anyway and a Citroen dealer should be able to tell you what's needed. The instrument cluster is not especially difficult to get out. I think there are some screws at the top and then the whole thing folds forward. I remember popping my head around the workshop door just as the dealer was finishing the job off.

Anyway, afaik it didn't need either a speedo head or a cable and the 'fix' lasted the life of the car.

Check usual things like the run of the cable as well.

Graeme