letter from dvla - barney100
I sold a car in october and have just had a letter from the dvla saying I didn't return the relevant form to notify them and I should pay the fine as indicated. Well I did send it back and have no idea if the post lost it or the dvla did. Anyone else had this problem? Is it up to me to prove I sent it? This is not possible as I did not use recorded delivery- or them to prove I did not send it.
letter from dvla - PW
Barney,

Pretty sure new V5 says that DVLA will send notification of receipt of form- and to call them if you do not receive this.

This is only from not very reliable memory after selling car in August- can anyone else confirm?
letter from dvla - PW
PS Should have added good luck with this- and hope all works out for you.
letter from dvla - loopyjen
When I scrapped my old car I sent off the v5 as required and withing 3 weeks I got a letter off the DVLA saying that they had recieved notification that I no longer had the car. The letter also said I should keep it as proof incase anything happened...

I'm guessing if you never recieved such a letter to acknowledge the sale of your car then the DVLA never recieved it or possibly lost it. I would personally call them and talk to them and see what they advice. It cant hurt to make the call
letter from dvla - henry k
I'm guessing if you never recieved such a letter to acknowledge
the sale of your car then the DVLA never recieved it
or possibly lost it. I would personally call them and talk
to them and see what they advice.

>>
I scrapped a car and sent off the slip.
DVLA sent me a letter saying pay a fine for no SORN or Tax.
I called them and explained that my doc must have been lost in the post. They were friendly and logged my call details.
I sent photo copies of my doc and the tax disk prior to a refund.
A while later I got another letter saying no further action would be taken.
So first of all give them a call.
letter from dvla - Dynamic Dave
Barney,

Follow the advice that the DVLA suggest here:-

www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_bb.htm
letter from dvla - frostbite

In similar vein - if, as I did, you buy a car on 16th of the month not intending to use/tax it until the following month, how can you be expected to SORN it until you know (by receipt of V5, on 3rd of following month in this case) that you are registered as the new owner?

Surely, you cannot just SORN any car, otherwise the practical jokes brigade would have a field day.
letter from dvla - v0n
You will see DVLA loose your paperwork more and more often because it's in their best interest. If they conveniently "don't receive" old V5 back the new owner has to apply via V62 for replacement at cost of £19 or, if the new owner has green V5 slip the previous owner will be fined. They know noone sends V5 via RM Special or Recorded Delivery, there is no trace if anything is lost in the process. Given the power to do so why wouldn't they use it?
letter from dvla - SlidingPillar
That is why I kept the duuplicate Euro pattern V5 Swansea sent me for one of mine. Just in case I needed it!
letter from dvla - Schnitzel
Call them asap, innocent people always get straight on the phone, guilty people pulling a fast one, avoid contact as much as possible.
letter from dvla - keo-the-dog
due to the very same thing i now hand all communications in at local dvla office marked with delivered by hand and get a receipt for it, they can then use "internal" mail to pass to the relevant department. it may cause them more work but hey less hassle for me....cheers...keo
letter from dvla - henry k
due to the very same thing i now hand all communications
in at local dvla office marked with delivered by hand and
get a receipt for it, they can then use "internal" mail
to pass to the relevant department. it may cause them more
work but hey less hassle for me....cheers...keo

>>
I agree but not many have a LOCAL DVLA office.
I use the same approach of internal mail for my letters to my non local bank branch.
For most people I would suggest taking two photocopies of the docs before sending them to the DVLA.
This is what I did so they later got a photocopy, were satisfied and closed the file.
letter from dvla - keo-the-dog
ah thats where i have an advantage local dvla is within 5 minutes walking, so no real problems but i agree with what you say keep photo-copies if poss. ...cheers...keo
letter from dvla - martint123
Post it at a post office and ask for a 'certificate of posting' - doesn't cost anything.