Computer related questions. Volume 38 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 39 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28591

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 38. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

XP startup - Robin Reliant
Yesterday my pc began to behave oddly on startup after deleting some old programmes. It now gets part of the way through the sequence and then asks if I want to boot up normally, or in safe mode etc. When I choose normally, I then get another screen asking if I want to start with Windows XP. After saying yes to that, everything then goes on as it should and it runs with no problems. What have I stuffed up, and how can I recover?
XP startup - Adam {P}
A couple of things.

1) What did you uninstall
2) Did you "upgrade" to XP i.e. - Was there an older version of Windows on before
3) Is there an option for "last known good configuration" when it asks if you want to boot in safe mode?

I have more questions when you return!
--
Adam
1) Uninstalled a game
2) The xp was supplied onboard by Acer, only system I've used
3) Tried the "Last known good configuration", still the same
XP startup - Dynamic Dave
Tom,

Once the pc is booted up,

Goto Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.

Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time."

If you click on the dates in the calender, it'll tell you when the deletion took place. Restore your computer to a date prior to the deletion. Try looking for a System Checkpoint.

DD,

Know that one well and it's bailed me out of trouble many times in the past, but no effect on this problem. Everything else works A1, it is more of a nuisance than anything but I would like to get back to norm if poss.

I have thought of a full re-install, but don't fancy it.
XP startup - smokie
Maybe your boot.ini file got hit? There is a timeout coded into this file. If it is Zero then you get no menu, otherwise the menu is displyaed. (Primarily of use for people using multi-boot operating systems).

To check it, right-click My Computer, select Properties then Advanced tab. In the Startup and Recovery section, click on Settings button, then click on the Edit button. Check the "timeout =" line is 0 and ensure that the first option is referenced in the "default =" line. Then File/Save then exit, OK then OK again.
XP startup - frostbite
In your place Tom, I would be running one of the many free registry checkers - maybe something left behind by the uninstall routine which is confusing windoze?
Thanks for that advice from smokie, brought the startup back to normal. Re frostbites post about free registry checkers, anyone recommend a tried and tested one? I have seen a few on the net, but I am wary about downloadig utilities from past experience.
Is SP2 necessary - tyro
I'm a bit nervous about installing XP SP2 on my computer, having heard of bad experiences. So, months later, I have not yet done it.

I keep my Norton antivirus up to date, and also my Zonealarm firewall. I also install other XP updates. Do I really need SP2? And if so, what is it that SP2 offers that I don't have?
Is SP2 necessary - Stuartli
If you system is running in an orderly fashion, have no fears about SP2, which includes all the SP1 updates plus those since.

You should first create a System Restore point and its name should clearly indicate that it was done for this purpose; the day and date are included automatically.

Then close down all running programs, utilities, screensavers etc before installing SP2.

If you do, by any chance, experience problems you can uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs and use the System Restore point - however it's very doubtful you will need to do so.

Then disable the Windows firewall as you already have the superior ZoneAlarm.

SP2 is basically intended to make a system more secure for those who don't or can't be bothered to maintain levels of security, but addresses other issues as part of the operation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Is SP2 necessary - mfarrow
As Stuartli says, shutdown all utilities before you begin. This is the only way I could do this on my home PC. If you know which is which, close down everything you recognise as not being crucial using the task manager (Ctrl Alt Del).

Personally, I hated SP2 when I first installed it. I hated the nagging reminder that I didn't have anti-virus installed and that I couldn't download statements from nwolb.com without IE stopping it in it's tracks and then nwolb.com reseting when I tried 're-downloading' it. Once I'd learnt that I could disable the annoying messages, and needed to add https://www.nwolb.com to the "trusted sites" part of IE, I was happy :-)
Is SP2 necessary - Vin {P}
"Once I'd learnt that I could disable the annoying messages"

And how exactly does one do that? That'll cheer me up.

V
Is SP2 necessary - Dalglish
"Once I'd learnt that I could disable the annoying messages"
And how exactly does one do that? That'll cheer me
up.

vin - it is as follows

control panel > security centre > "change the way security centre alerts me" > tick or untick as you please.

Is SP2 necessary - Dynamic Dave

I installed SP2 just after it's launch. The only problems I've had so far are; I had to update my Nero software (a 25MB download) and re-install my AVI to DVD software.
I didn't back up any of my data beforehand. Everything is still there, and the operating system is as stable as before.

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
Is SP2 necessary - frostbite
According to Zdnetnews yesterday, 'son of SP2' is just around the corner - no less than 3 xp updates are to be released soon, ranging up to 'critical' again!

Sticking to W98 here.
no less than 3 xp updates are to be released soon>>

Bit out of date - did them about a week ago; they came as part of the normal monthly MS security updates routine.
Is SP2 necessary - tyro
Thanks all, but I still want to know . . . "Is SP2 necessary?"
Is SP2 necessary - Adam {P}
It's not necessary no but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put it on.
--
Adam
Is SP2 necessary - tyro
Yes, Adam, but why? I'm genuinely curious to know!
It's not necessary no but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put
it on.
--
Adam

so microsoft spent all that time and money giving away free sp2 cds just for fun?

strictly: air, water, food and shelter are all that is necessary.

however, if you want to surf safely, sp2 and all updates are necessary. just the same as the anti-aids mesage really. take precautions if you connect to the www, or your machine may get infected.

I'll agree with Dalglish that the benefits outweigh the potential risks - namely in the form of updates. As an experiment, I put SP2 on one machine, didn't on another, and I run 2000 myself. I'm happy to note that all 3 work perfectly with nothing untoward. Of course, as I'm sure someone will poiint out, this doesn't mean nothing will happen obviously. No different to me drinking and driving. I may not get caught initially, but sooner or later I will.

However, just to be pedantic,

>>so microsoft spent all that time and money giving away free sp2 cds just for fun?<<

You tell me. They spent all that time and money on Me and XP

;-)
--
Adam
However, just to be pedantic,
>>so microsoft spent all that time and money giving away free
sp2 cds just for fun?<<
You tell me. They spent all that time and money on
Me and XP
;-)
--
Adam

>>

ok, i'll tell you, as you have posed the question. (but i'll keep it short otherwise the mods will remind us soon that this is not a discussion or debating thread .):

they spent itme and money on win-me and xp to sell these o.s. to make money. they spent time and money on giving away sp2 cds in their millions - to protect the xp-sp1 from attack and hence protect their investment as well as keep their customers protected.

Thanks. 10/10 for the concise reply but 5/10 for not realising I was joking. Or is it I who has not realised you're joking?

I'm confused

;-)
--
Adam
Is SP2 necessary?

Reading this may assist you to make up your mind:

www.pcw.co.uk/features/1159142
>> no less than 3 xp updates are to be released
soon>>
Bit out of date - did them about a week ago;
they came as part of the normal monthly MS security updates
routine.
- - - - - - - - - - -

stuart: ;-) ::tic mode on :: again, i will take your word for this. either zdnetnews is out of date, or microsoft released the updates earlier than planned , or you are able to use a dr.who time machine to update before anyone else. ::tic mode off:: ;-)

news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5517567.html?tag=defau...t

The Tardis is very handy, I'll admit, but it's just a question of keeping on top of all the updating required in a number of areas such as MS, anti-virus and spyware utilities...:-)

I'm also a member of a number of computer related forums where all types of updates are posted virtually seconds after they become available.

Or you could try installing BigFix from www.bigfix.com which will make life a bit easier; it's the same utility as used by Evesham on all their new computer systems, which has dramatically reduced its support call centre operation costs for some time now.

The Tardis is very handy, I'll admit, but it's just a
question of keeping on top of all the updating required in
a number of areas such as MS, anti-virus and spyware utilities...:-)

so are you confirming that you have already installed the 3 new updates that were not due to be officially released until today or later?

" January 7, 2005 - Microsoft has announced that it will release three patches for its Windows operating system next week.
The fixes, which will carry a maximum threat rating of "critical," will be issued Tuesday, " i.e 11 january 2005.

This is one of the latest updates:

www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-0...x
Others:

www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200501_window...x
>>Sticking to W98 here.>>

A large part of the time I used Windows 95, 98 and 98SE - I'm on my system virtually all day - was spent keeping them going and downloading innumerable updates, patches etc.

Even Win 3x was a joy in comparison.

In contrast 15 months of life with XP Pro have proved a dream.

Supremely stable and troublefree, it has merely required an occasional update issued by MS.
Is SP2 necessary - Robin Reliant
Am I correct in assuming that as I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird I can forget about MS updates, including SP2?
Is SP2 necessary - Citroënian {P}
Sorry, no.

If you're running Windows then you still need to install updates as they address more than just Internet Explorer.

hth,
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Internet Explorer problems. - The Lawman
This is a rather general question, and the terms in which I ask it will probably betray the fact that I know next to nothing about technical matters.

I have recently left an enormous firm (with huge IT support) for a much smaller firm with little or no IT support at all. We have broadband, but I am experiencing lots of problems with internet access.

I have become very familiar with the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close down" box. On average, this happens around 10 times a day. Shortly before it comes up, my computer begins chirping like a demented cricket.

I do not know what can be causing this, but it is possible that it is the settings on my computer. In the absence of any useful help at work (the only person who knows about these things is on maternity leave), does anyone know who I might speak to for help?

(Question moved and subject header changed, as per the "PLEASE NOTE:" message at the top of the page)
Internet Explorer problems. - frostbite
Would they let you download and run something decent, like Mozilla Thunderbird?
Internet Explorer problems. - Stuartli
>>like Mozilla Thunderbird?>>

Thunderbird is the e-mail program, Firefox is the browser.

I use both as they are vastly more secure - none of that constant IE updating - but Firefox is also somewhat quicker.
Internet Explorer problems. - frostbite
"Thunderbird is the e-mail program, Firefox is the browser."

I really must pay more attention - read IE as OE!

Good job one of us is awake.
Internet Explorer problems. - Dynamic Dave
Have you visited the MS website to check for updates recently?
Internet Explorer problems. - Dalglish
lawman :
give a few more details -
which version of windows, and internet explorer are you on?
which other programs are you running at the same time?
specification of your computer?

Internet Explorer problems. - keo-the-dog
lawman . i think you may have a virus try pcpitstop.com run a full test anonymously and see what it throws up.
Internet Explorer problems. - Citroënian {P}
Hello!

Keo is on the right track. You need to check for updates, spyware/adware and viruses.

Updates
windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Spyware & adware (note licencing terms)
Adaware: www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Virus
Keo's advice or get hold of Norton antivirus from your PC World/Dixons/Currys

Hopefully this'll find the cause of the problem- it's stuff you should be doing anyhow.

Post here if you need anymore help, there's a lot of friendly advice about!

Lee.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Broadband Choice. - M.M
What a can of worms this Broadband thing! Just got our exchange enabled so we can upgrade at last.

Balancing price, speed, capacity caps, availability of service, customer service options, existing users feedback, billing arrangements, upfront modem/connection costs, my own impression of "brand" etc ...absolute nightmare.

Branching out into the Broadband forums for extra info an outfit called Freedom2Surf seem to have the best balance of positive/negative points for me. Many of the big names seem to have a lot of negative feedback and lots of tech guys seem to go with the outfits that were previously unknown to me.

Freedom2Surf "Connect" package at £19.99/mth inc vat, 1Mbit speed, 5GB usage, only 1mth contract "tie-in", mail (20 accounts, pop3 supported, direct to other mailbox inc when reqd) and webspace (20MB) included, auto a/virus protection, static IP address and a good online acount manager to configure your own service.

Add to that a largely loyal set of customers and they sound OK...but the blasted connect and modem fees are upfront at £90 by the time you have two line filters.

And are they the sort of smaller player that suddenly goes under without a moments warning?

What are you guys using? Happy or not?

Thanks,

M.M
Broadband Choice. - Altea Ego
Do not get a size limited account. Although 5gb sounds good if you have kids one month of streame pop videos and a few bearshare downloads will eat that!

Pipex.

Not the cheapest but consistently rated highly and has been for a number of years.
Broadband Choice. - Adam {P}
RF,

I was going to switch to Pipex myself. BT are introducing this download limit which it must be said, I'm not that happy about that given that 4 computers share the connection, browsing, downloads etc... will more than likely eat into whatever the limit is very quickly.

Do you think Pipex is the way forward?
--
Adam
Adam

Anyone who I do "consulting" for - I always say "Pipex". While it does not have many fancy frills, I know my clients are not going to come back and castigate me for my advice. Short term or long term.

They consistently deliver the speed, minimal outages, and the customer service is very good.

If you want goodies like tailored content, fancy home web pages, etc then no, but if you want internet access fast and all the time and someone to fix it quickly (not via bangalore) when it goes TU, email addresses, etc then Pipex is good. They also filter spam well and by using "alias" email addy's you have less chance of getting spoofed as well.
Thanks for that RF.

I don't want any fancy rubbish - just a connection to the net - that's it. I know that my sister and Mum are equally unfussed abotu stuff like this. Mum uses it for work, my sister for talking to her mates.

I don't even get an email address now with BT so I don't think I'd notice the omission of any fancy features.

I'll have to wait until we reach the download limit for the first time before I present the case to the parents though - stronger footing you see ;-)

Thanks again - almost makes me feel bad about insulting you in the other thread.....almost
--
Adam
Broadband Choice. - Dynamic Dave
Pipex
They consistently deliver the speed, minimal outages, and the customer service
is very good.

Been with Pipex BB nearly 12 months now. Only one problem in all that time - unable to connect one Sunday evening for ½ hour or so. Tried again later, and all back to normal. Tried phoning customer services, but said I was held in a queue because their lines were busy. Figured out for myself that everyone else must have been having the same problem and trying to report it, so hung up.
Pipex it is then by the sounds of things.

We're....well - they're paying around £27 a month for a 512 connection. Let's say I went 1 meg on Pipex. What am I looking at?

Cheers,
--
Adam
Pipex solo

512k no limit, free set up - £23.44
1MB 8gb limit, free set up - £27.99
1MB no limit, free set up - £33.99
2MB no limit, free set up - £39.99.

Broadband Choice. - harry m
adski read all about at pipex.net,i have had pipex broadband for a couple of years and can recommend them no problems with them at all.
Thanks DD, RF and Harry.

Looks like I'll be going for the 1MB no limit, free set up - £33.99 option. I like the idea of no limits.

Just one question, albeit stupid. I've heard that some ISP's require you to sign on or whatever. We're all connected through a router and I leave it downloading stuff. Will Pipex be ok with this?

Cheers guys
--
Adam
Yup I have set someone up with a router and wireless on Pipex (who btw just upgraded to the 2mb service)

Actually Adam, all services require you to log on, the router does that and masquerades as your PC.
Well I never knew that. I was thinking of AOL and was under the impression that I couldn't use my router.

I'll tell you something though, I've learnt more from the Computer Related Questions Thread than I have from a full year at Uni. That's where all my money is going!!!
--
Adam
Broadband Choice. - M.M
Interesting..... as with other places I've asked the most positive votes are for the smaller outfits.

Seems Pipex is very similar to Freedom2Surf. In fact the Pipex "Solo 1000 Lite" at IMb speed and 8GB limit is a very close comparison to the F2S "Connect" which has a 5GB limit but is unmetered at night (for any monster downloads) and is also 1Mb.

Main thing is F2S need an upfront payment of £90 for modem/connection/filters and costs £19.99/mth. Pipex has no upfront changes and is £27.99/mth so broadly similar over first 12mths.

In the second year obviously F2s will be cheaper.

Oh and I think F2S has a static IP address but Pipex is not.

M.M
You have a need for a fixed IP? bearing in mind all the extra precautions you need with one?

Anyway pipex can offer you one, just look under the business options.
Broadband Choice. - M.M
Remember I don't know any more than I've read over the past week...and a fixed IP addy seemed to be promoted as a good thing...an "extra" sometimes.

Am I on a fixed IP with my current BT dialup?

Thought I'd read I'll need it fixed for my website...yes???

Thanks for the feedback RF.

M.M
Its unlikely you have a fixed IP address when you dial up. It will change every time you dial in.

The only time you need a fixed IP address is when *your* machine is hosting a service, like a server or a web site. That means a web site where the data is residing on YOUR machine. Its unlikely you were doing this as the web site would be unavailable to others when you were not dialed in.

Most people run web sites on a hosting service. IE you pay them ex pounds per month and upload changes to the site onto THEIR machine.

Broadband Choice. - M.M
OK I understand, my (non commercial)webspace is part of our current BT Anytime package...and is obviously hosted by them as I have to FTP upload it. That's all I need with broadband so a variable IP is fine.

Thanks.

M.M
Unless you continue to pay BT you will loose your web space. SAve it all to local disk so you can FTP it to your new web space. The URL will change to.
Broadband Choice. - PhilW
Does everybody on here use Pipex then? I am totally ignorant of these matters so am on Wanadoo (because I was Freeserve dial-up originally) at £17.99 a month for 512 and I know there are limitations, but since I never download music etc the limitatations appear to have no effect.
Am I daft or just ignorant? Would there be any advantage in changing?
At 17.99 month for 512, if you are happy with it then stick with it, not worth the hastle of changing.
Broadband Choice. - M.M
Phil,

Wanadoo were on my shortlist but the 2GB cap was just a fraction lower than I wanted, double that of the similar BT package though. I calculated I really wanted min of 3GB so my current favourite has a 5GB cap...but more importantly is unmetered at night so I can stay up do any large downloads then.

Do you know the new punters on your package price are getting 1Mb speed for £17.99?

It doesn't affect you but the word for new punters is to view Wanadoo with care at this very moment. It is said that their current promotions on TV and elsewhere are overloading their capacity to supply service/modems etc/customer service help. May be urban myth but you have to believe what is written on the forums! ;-)

M.M
Broadband Choice. - Stargazer {P}
M.M.

Currently writing this using freedom to surf connection.

Nothing but praise for the support and connection reliability. They have been around for a few years now. One of the cheapest starter packages around....my father has just joined at 2MB connection with 1GB cap for £14.99. I joined a while ago before the faster lines were available so 512kB uncapped at £22.50. My deal included a waived connection fee if I stay 12 months.

There is no requirement to buy f2s connection hardware....I sourced my own. Note that BT insist you buy their hardware.

Once I have been with them for 12 months I will probably regrade to a faster line. Not too bothered with the usage cap.

Ask away of you have any specific questions

StarGazer
Broadband Choice. - PhilW
"Do you know the new punters on your package price are getting 1Mb speed for £17.99?"
MM, Yes I knew that and could upgrade mine but it costs £20 and quite frankly, for what I use the internet for at home (browsing HJ, rugby reports, booking ferries and occasional hotels, odd bit of ebaying, listening to my son on radio etc, oh and the occasional look at David Woollards Citroen site!!!) 512 is quite fast enough for me and I'm not sure 1mb would make that much difference to me. Haven't had any problems so in connecting etc but I'm prepared to believe what you say since I'm sure dial-up Freeserve had those "overloading" problems - perhaps even deliberately - to convince me to convert to BB.
Thanks anyway
Phil
Broadband Choice. - M.M
Ian(SG),

Thanks, you're the first here so far to support F2S. As it happens late last night I finally decided and signed up with them online. Went for the package I mentioned, 1Mb(20x) speed and 5GB capacity cap (but importantly unmetered at night) - £19.99/mth with £90 upfront costs. Decided to purchase modem and filters from them (inc in the £90) so at least any initial problems could all be queried with one source.

I'm sure now I'll hear from someone who has suffered at their hands but no matter, it's done!

Phil,

It may be that I've over estimated usage and a 1GB cap would have sufficed. I never download music, you must need a special stylus for playing it. Also can't think that I would need more than the infrequent video clip either. Do lots with images though. Be interesting to see what my actual usage is when it is up an running. Going to change my own website a fair bit when I change ISP. Use it much more now for uploading non-indexed pages hidden from the home page. For example if selling a car then I only give that specific page address to punters, similarly with holiday pics for the family or tech procedures whatever.

M.M
Broadband Choice. - Stuartli
>>Do you think Pipex is the way forward?>>

I've been with Pipex on dialup since 1996 (WorldOnline as well since 1999) and always been delighted with the high quality of its service and support.

Pipex, established in 1991 mainly as a business supplier but also with domestic throughput, has always enjoyed a top class reputation and many times has led the way in the UK in introducing the latest ISP technology, including the provision of high capacity trans-Atlantic feeds in the mid 1990s.

My son has had Pipex for broadband for more than two years and is equally happy with the service.
AVG Anti-virus (Grisoft) - drbe
I have used AVG anti-virus software for several months. I received notification that version 6 would not be supported after the 26th of this month.

I have downloaded v7, which involved deleting v6. It now seems, if I have read everything properly, that v7 is a 30 free trial version and I think that I will have to pay for v7. Version 6 was freeware.

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Don brbe
AVG Anti-virus (Grisoft) - rustbucket
I have used AVG anti-virus software for several months. I received
notification that version 6 would not be supported after the 26th
of this month.
I have downloaded v7, which involved deleting v6. It now seems,
if I have read everything properly, that v7 is a 30
free trial version and I think that I will have to
pay for v7. Version 6 was freeware.
Does anyone know if this is accurate?
Don brbe

There is two version 7 of AVG one is free to use with frequent updates and the other has to be paid for, you seem to have downloaded the wrong version.go back to www.grisoft.com and download the free version, uninstall the 30 day demo you have and install the free version you have just downloaded. after you have installed it immeciately do an update to make sure you have latest def files.

rustbucket (the original)
AVG Anti-virus (Grisoft) - rustbucket

Hi Don,

Link to the free AVG

free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

rustbucket (the original)
AVG Anti-virus (Grisoft) - drbe
Mr Rustbucket

Thanks for that. You are quite right. Job done

I now have another query (ho-hum) see below.

Don drbe
Wireless Compatibility - Adam {P}
Right,

I remember asking this question a while back when it was an idea and RF recommended that I go for the wireless version of the router I've got now (a Netgear DG834. However, the issue is now out of my hands and I won't be there when the purchase is made so I need some expertise.

All I need to know is if this;

tinyurl.com/6zml6

is compatible with my router. Basically, we have 3 computers connected up to the router. One is a laptop and it was a pain messing around with the patch cable. That's snapped so now we're getting a wireless router. As I said, the matter is out of my hands - it's a wireless access point or no deal. Will that be just as good as a patch cable and more important, will it work?

Any advice would be much appreciated as always.
--
Adam
Wireless Compatibility - Baskerville
Adam

I have exactly this product (two in fact because I use one as a remote repeater to improve the range) and the same router and they are top notch--they run Linux as it happens ;-). You plug it into an ethernet port on the router and administer it from a web browser--very easy. The wireless router wouldn't do the repeating thing incidentally, which is why I bought the standard router with separate access points. It seems to me to be more flexible and future proof as a setup too.

My setup (router+access point in the house, with a lone repeater access point in my bottom of garden office) is totally reliable with one machine hard-wired to the router and three wireless.

I hope that helps.
Cheers Chris,

it certainly does help. I do a lot of tinkering around with the router via MSIE (yes I know - the only thing it's good for). It will certainly help get rid of the:

"Can you plug the patch cable in for me Adam?"

Thanks again. I'll let you know when I get it all set up.
--
Adam
Wireless Compatibility - Kevin
Chris,

>The wireless router wouldn't do the repeating thing incidentally..

Are you saying that you couldn't use the WG602 as a repeater for the DG834G?

Kevin...
Chris,
>The wireless router wouldn't do the repeating thing incidentally..
Are you saying that you couldn't use the WG602 as a
repeater for the DG834

When I was buying the kit, yes. Firmware may have been upgraded since then, but it's worth checking before spending any money. Originally the WG602 itself wouldn't do repeating; when I was looking it would only do so with another WG602, though that too may have changed.
PS Don't forget to change the default passwords and SSID straight away on the access point and the password on the router too. This is just as important as WEP and MAC address filtering. Remember this access point will make your Windows shared folder and much, much more available to the world.
Even though only people logged on as Amy and my Mum can access it though? I'm running 2000 by the way.

If I don't reply tonight, I'm not being rude. I'm just very very tired!

Thanks for all your help.
--
Adam
Wireless Compatibility - Altea Ego
"Even though only people logged on as Amy and my Mum can access it though? I'm running 2000 by the way"

Windows default security is the easiest thing in the world to crack, they teach it at hacker kindergarden.
RF,

do you have the Linux client on your TP yet?

Kevin...
Wireless Compatibility - Altea Ego
Noo? Have you? any good? I got a new T40 last summer so I am a way off yet, Colleague got a T41 last week both with the XP client.
Wireless Compatibility - Moddy
If any of the forum members are worried about their pc security try the following link to GRC Com

I have used this site for some time now and periodically check my pc out for leaks and possible security lapses.

There are a couple of very small downloads to all them to test your pc, but these are not harmfull.....

www.grc.com

Nope, I'm stuck on Win2K. I need tools that are only available on 2K to access certain customer sites remotely. I also need X11 so it's a bit of a mish-mash really.

I thought the Linux/windows choice was available for TP upgrades now?

I've refused to upgrade my old T23 because of the time it would take me to get everything working again.

Kevin...
Windows shares by default are not password protected; if you've protected them that way, then casual passersby are unlikely to bother, even if they try to get in initially. However it's worth remembering at all times that with wireless anyone can "sniff" the packets you are transmitting and get passwords from them. Even if you use WEP encryption the software to crack it is available for free, though someone prepared to go that far must really want those pictures of aunty Doreen with the funny hat on. Best to think of it as like sending a postcard: don't put your bank account details on it; always use the wired connection for that kind of stuff.
Linux / Xandros - Pezzer
After a recent thread on this and ChrisR's recommendation I decided to have a look at Xandros and so far I am quite impressed, it seems a bit more intuitive than Mandrake which I have to confess I gave up with. I am writing this now using Xandros and am feeling rather pleased with myself having got ndiswrapper working with my Belkin wireless card - took a couple of evenings, quite a bit of forum surfing and much hairpulling however ! Thanks for the suggestion.

One question to those in the know out there, I assume that I should now look at installing a firewall and is anti-virus software necessary ?

Thanks P
Linux / Xandros - Baskerville
Pezzer

Xandros is pretty good I think. Have you got the free download or a pay-for version?

Antivirus I wouldn't worry about (yet). You could in theory pass on a Windows virus you receive in an email to another Windows user and if you've installed Word using Crossover that is susceptible to macro viruses, but Linux itself has no live viruses at the moment.

Firewall. You'll find Xandros is fairly well locked down even without a firewall, but you will need one anyway. Open Xandros Networks, click refresh and type "Firestarter" into the search box. That should get you the firewall called, ahem, Firestarter. Click "Install". I might have that a bit wrong so if it doesn't work post back on here and I'll check our Xandros machine in the morning. I'm fairly sure that's all you have to do though.

Well done for getting ndiswrapper to work by the way--the forums are always your friend. I've not had to use that so far, but Belkin are notoriously Linux-unfriendly.

Chris
PS. Linux firewalls are not like Windows "personal firewalls" where you say which progams can access the Internet. What you're installing is a graphical, user-friendly way of managing open/closed ports and the flow of packets in and out of those ports. The actual "firewall" system is part of the kernel already, but you have to trust that the vendor has set it up the way you like it--Firestarter allows you to change the setup easily.
Linux / Xandros - Pezzer
Thanks for the response Chris, I'm using the cheapskate free version at this stage dual booting with XP for the moment, but now I have wireless working I intend to use Xandros for my surfing, multimedia and e-mail requirements whilst the kids can use XP for their games - or I might even investigate the options which might let them run in Linux. One great thing is that I have direct access to media stored in the Windows partition eg mp3s or JPEGs etc and I also like the Xandros forum which seems a bit more grown up and well written than some of the others I have tried.

I do think for the average user (me) that the sw/hw installation routines/process are not as user friendly as Windows which only normally require a couple of confirmatory clicks, but that said having had to fiddle around with the command line to install my wireless card has helped me to start to 'get it'.

Right unless SWMBO has a sense of humour failure about me spending too much time on the computer I'm off to find Firestarter.
>I do think for the average user (me) that the sw/hw installation routines/process are not as user friendly as Windows which only normally require a couple of confirmatory clicks

Sometimes, yes, but most of the time, now it's set up, it will be pretty easy--unfamiliarity is a big hurdle--but I take your point. Xandros Networks, from where you can download and install loads of software, is really easy, with the advantage that you know the software is ok and not carrying nasties with it. I don't know how much better Xandros 3 is, but Xandros 2 is over a year old now, so it has almost certainly improved enormously.

One good thing about Linux and kids is that you can set them up their own user accounts and no matter what they do, as long as they don't get the root password, the system itself is safe. Games are in limited supply, of course, but there are some quite nice ones.
PS Meant to say, if you want to play encoded DVDs, you need to get and run the package Libdvdread3 from Xandros Networks. This is the equivalent of one of the pay-for decoders you'd need with Windows, but of course it's free. I seem to remember you have to check the box in XN to open up the extra file repository to get it, but the Xandros forum/faq/manual will explain better no doubt.
Re: Using Windows 95 on a modern PC - mfarrow
Hi

I'd just like to feedback on the thread in volume 37, www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28274&...e

Well ChrisR, I installed Linux in the end after Windows 95 didn't like my new hardware, and I have to say... WOW! I never thought an OS could make so little fuss about needing drivers apart from DOS!

It never crashes and so far is behaving itself. What would be useful is a standby function but I can't find that yet. I think I'll keep the Windows 95 bit (running as just DOS) for emulating PIC programs over the network (which otherwise requires a restart of my desktop PC). I would have just ran DOS networking to begin with but hosting isn't supported by Microsoft in FAT32.

As an aside, I tried Windows 95 just because I hadn't used Linux before and it keeled over at the first boot with an IOS error. As usual MS's patches failed to fix it!

Thanks again.

Mike Farrow
Re: Using Windows 95 on a modern PC - Baskerville
Mike

Glad to hear it's gone ok. What distro did you install in the end?

Reliable suspend/resume is fairly new in Linux world (up until very recently Linux has been a server OS, where suspend is not as useful as not crashing for months on end) but my laptop (running SuSE 9.2) will suspend to disk very well and did so without tweaking, so it is possible--suspend to RAM doesn't work, but then it doesn't work properly with Windows XP either, so I reckon it's the BIOS that has the problem.

Chris
Re: Using Windows 95 on a modern PC - mfarrow
Hi

I installed Xandros version 2. It's very much a Windows look-a-like, which is a good thing when working at it from a 9" CRT!

Thanks again.
Zone Alarm? - drbe
When booting up, I now get a message "Zone Alarm is waing for TrueVector internet Monitor to initialize. Cancel?"

I click on cancel and it goes away, not to be seen again until the next boot-up, should I worry?

The only action I have taken which may have triggered this Was to install AVG v7 - 30 day trial version, uninstall (what a dreadful word! Why do we allow the beautiful English language to be assaulted like this?) it and then to install AVG v7 - free version.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Don drbe
Zone Alarm? - Welliesorter
...should I worry?

In a sense yes, because, unless I'm sadly mistaken, you've closed an important part of ZoneAlarm. Does the message stay on the screen for an excessive amount of time?

For what it's worth, ZoneAlarm and AVG (free version) have always coexisted without problems on my PC.
Zone Alarm? - Pezzer
I agree with W/str, I've got both co-existing happily on my machine - and I believe that this is the business end of Zone alarms which if cancelled leaves you unprotected. Might be worth re-installing Zone Alarms, preferably off line.
Zone Alarm? - frostbite
I have had this message about three times in the last three months. I always assume it's because the cpu is busy elsewhere and the message always goes away within a few seconds.
Zone Alarm? - Baskerville
The Firefox extension Adblock kills ads you don't want and leaves the others. After clicking on the Nissan thing a couple of times I've now blocked it and haven't seen it since. Bad advertising annoys people and they work out ways not to have to look at it.
Zone Alarm? - frostbite
For some reason (cos I'm stoopid?) I thought I had it installed and it wasn't working on that one.

Thanks Chris!
Zone Alarm? - Stuartli
TrueVector is the security engine of ZA - this may help you:

www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,4519514~root...t

I've also used ZA and AVG (both always the very latest versions) in harmony for several years on my system, which has had Windows98, 98SE and now XP Pro as the operating system in sequence.