Parking on Bank holidays - cockle {P}
Interesting item on the BBC website for London, news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4148507.stm apparently Westminster City council are quashing over 3500 parking tickets issued last Saturday, 1st January, as a goodwill gesture.
They seem to have been inundated with complaints as many motorists appeared to think that New Year's Day was a Bank Holiday even though it was a Saturday and the actual Bank Holiday was Monday therefore Saturday was just a normal Saturday as far as parking went.
What I found revealing was that different councils take different attitudes to enforcement on a Bank Holiday, one adjacent council said that it would not enforce on a Bank Holiday whilst another said that it made no distinction and enforced as it would any other day. Surely there should be some consistency as to what councils do, I know that's asking a lot but I suppose it's just another way of beating up us poor old motorists.

Cockle
Parking on Bank holidays - Badger
That's local democracy for you.
Parking on Bank holidays - Welliesorter
Always plenty of parking wardens in Leicester on bank holidays. I can't help wondering whether they're there to catch out people who assume that parking is free on those days.
Parking on Bank holidays - BrianW
What is staggering is the numbers involved!
3,500 in a single day.
At £50 a go that's £175,000.
No wonder Westminster can keep their Council tax low!
They must be raking in around 10 million quid a year from motorists.
Parking on Bank holidays - frostbite
All those wardens on double time issuing treble the usual number of tickets to the unsuspecting.

Trebles all round!
Parking on Bank holidays - cabsmanuk
Just complained to Milton Keynes parking control about being overcharged for parking on Jan 1st and the conversation went something like:

'You need not have paid on Saturday anyway'
'Why, is there no charge on Saturdays?'
'Yes there is but there's no charge on public holidays'
'Saturday wasn't a public holiday'
'Yes it was'
'No it wasn't, Monday the 3rd was'
Long silence then 'Yes I think you're right but there were no wardens on duty that day anyway'
'Would you have risked it?'
'No'
'In that case can I have an 80 pence refund please?'

Keep upright
Parking on Bank holidays - Stuartli
Wonder what happened in the case of Boxing Day?

As Christmas Day fell on a Saturday Boxing Day is, officially, on the following Monday but most shops, TV and radio stations etc stuck to Sunday.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Parking on Bank holidays - cabsmanuk
According to the DTI, the public holiday for Boxing day was the 27th December

Parking on Bank holidays - cheddar
Parked in Woking (RF's manor)on 27th Dec to see the panto (Linda Lusardi!!) the machine took the money, only upon returning to the car did I realise that charges did not apply. Reckon the machine should have been switched off.