Corsa 1.2 8v running cool - acr75
Hi all
My sister-in-law's 1.2 8v Corsa is running cool. The fans finally came on when I revved the engine, so I suspect the thermostat. Having bought a Haynes manual it would appear I have to remove the timing belt and rear cover to remove the thermostat. The manual also mentions a special tool for re-tensioning the timing belt. Can one of these tools be easily fabricated and if not, where can I buy one from. The Vauxhall dealer is not allowed to sell tools apparently.

Any advice and tips on the procedure would be welcome. I have changed a timing chain before, but this is the first timing belt. The coolant hasn't been changed before so do I need to flush the system, or is the garden hose sufficient? The car has 80,000 miles on the clock so should I look for anything else to replace while I have all these bits off.

Thanks
Andrew

Corsa 1.2 8v running cool - Dynamic Dave

If the car gets hot without driving it, but cools as soon as you do, then it certainly sounds like a dodgy thermostat.

You don't need the special tool to tension the timing belt. The "twist" test is adequate enough. Using the longest run of the belt between the crankshaft and camshaft, grab it in the middle and providing you can twist it 90° without too much trouble, and no further, it should be at the right tension. An overtensioned belt will humm, a slack one will rattle.

As the car has done 80,000, it's time for it's second belt change anyway. (Vauxhall specify every 40,000 or 4 yrs, whichever comes sooner) You might also want to consider replacing the waterpump while you're at it.

Flusing the system with a hosepipe should be enough to clear most of the crud out.