What is the EGR valve for? (Mondeo TDCi) - CG
MY Mondeo (2004 130 TDCi) was suffering from poor performance, a lot of black smoke when trying to accelerate away at low engine speeds (up to about 2000 rpm, but fine after that) and high consumption. The replacement of the EGR valve has cured the problem completely and has also transformed the performance at low engine speeds. I know the EGR is something to do with exhaust gas recirculation, but what is this for, where is the valve to be found, and why the smoke and poor acceleration when it goes wrong? And why was mine said to be 'coked up' and is there anything I can do to avoid this happening in future? (No supermarket diesel used, Shell and BP only, Millers Diesel Plus.) I'm hoping that one of those expert BRs out there can explain!!

Many thanks.

CG
What is the EGR valve for? - martint123
Its where the exhaust and inlet manifolds are close together. Sometimes a right so-and-so to get at. Under 'certain circumstances' it lets exhaust gasses into the inlet. Mainly for emission regulations. ISTR that it was opened on the overrun, but I'm not 100% on that.

Martin