Computer related questions. Volume 36 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 37 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28274

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 36. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Disposing of Old PC? - drbe
I am considering buying a new PC shortly. Where can I dispose of the old one?

Assuming of course, that I don't put it in the wheelie bin (probably illegal) or take it to the tip at Sunbury.

Is there a charity or something that would loke it - with monitor and printer. It is quite old (8 years) and low powered.

Don drbe
Disposing of Old PC? - Welliesorter
Is there a charity or something that would loke it -
with monitor and printer. It is quite old (8 years) and
low powered.

One such charity is at www.bridgethedigitaldivide.com/donate.htm but I suspect an eight-year-old PC will fall short of the spec they want.
Disposing of Old PC? - Altea Ego
Don

If its anything like the tip at Woking they have a special section for old electronic stuff to be sorted for recycling.
Disposing of Old PC? - Dynamic Dave
drbe,

Assuming it's still working, put it in one of the free ad sections of your local paper. There will be someone out there that will be glad of it, no matter how old it is.
Disposing of Old PC? - Pugugly {P}
The Scout movement have a commercial enterprise in some areas of re-furbishing PCs.
Disposing of Old PC? - Hugo {P}
For this sort of thing a free ad in the local super market giving an accurate description works well.

Readers of these have a higher hit rate at turning up when they say they will and if it's free...

H
Disposing of Old PC? - Stuartli
There are numerous computer recycling organisations who can refurbish systems for use in the Third World or a host of other charitable work.

Here's one link:

www.computersforcharities.co.uk/recycled

but keying in something on the lines of Computers Recycling or similar into google will bring up dozens of possibilities, possibly including your own local council's provisions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Disposing of Old PC? - mfarrow
www.computersforcharities.co.uk/recycled

They say the minimum spec is a PII 400MHz. Let me guess that your PC (circa 1996) is not much more powerful than a Pentium 200MHz with 16MB RAM.

You'll be surprised how many people want old PCs. Could you see yourself using it somehow? I have my old 166MHz manchine running Windows 95 as a backup machine. When I remember, I switch it on a run a batch file utilising the Extended Copy Utility (xcopy) to copy important files that have changed since I last did a backup. This saved a whole lot of aggro when the HDD in my current system went.
Disposing of Old PC? - Stuartli
Pentiums in early 1996 had only just reached the 100MHz level or just a little higher - I know because I got one from Time during March at the staggering cost of £1,303...:-)
Disposing of Old PC? - frostbite
Computers certainly put cars to shame in terms of depreciation - percentagewise anyway.
Disposing of Old PC? - Altea Ego
Pah

thats nothing

the orginal IBM PC, 4.07 mhz cpu with 8kb of main memory and a single 160kb single sided 5.25" diskette drive cost over £2000, and that was without a Display.
Disposing of Old PC? - Robin Reliant
Late eighties I paid around £900 for a mono display pc with no hard drive. One 5 1/4 floppy meant constant disc swopping on even the simplest programmes. Can't remember the rest of the spec but it was probably on a par with a digital watch you can get today.
Disposing of Old PC? - frostbite
Since we're comparing our equipment (!).

In the late 70s I bought my first computer - a Cosmac Elf with one quarter K memory, a two digit LED hex display, a tape input/output socket (supply your own) and the name/speed of the processor (RCA?) escapes me. Cost around £600, 2k exansion £150.

Best bit was it all came in a polythene bag with all components having to be soldered in!
Disposing of Old PC? - Hugo {P}
ZX81

Can't remember how much they cost C £100 to £200 I think.

Available in 1981 or there abouts.

0.5 k memory, although you could buy the 1K memory expasion pack.

I didn't have one but my next door neigbour who was into designing computers for a living lent me his. I remember some BASIC programming etc.

H
Disposing of Old PC? - Imagos
ZX81! Pure jurrasic era, if you want to reminice look here www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/computers/computers.htm
Disposing of Old PC? - Robin Reliant
The eighties were exciting times for home computers. A new model out every other week and nothing would work with anything else. My first was the ZX81, it seemed like a marvel at the time, and it actually had a decent chess programme which would run on it's 1k memory!

My favourite had to be the Spectrum though, full colour and it almost had a keyboard. There was a scam with Spectrums where people would buy one for £169, then purchase a full size aftermarket keyboard for £50. The case had to come off the Spectrum which was then fitted inside the new keyboard, leaving the owner with the old Spectrum case. A suitable weight was fitted inside the old case, which was then returned to the shop as faulty and a refund demanded. All the owner then had to do was buy a new power supply and he ended up with a computer with a full size keyboard for fifty quid. I remember Boots got stung quite heavily before they realised what was going on.

And no, I did not do it.
Disposing of Old PC? - carl_a
The answers to a lot of Sinclar stuff can be found here www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/

Think it might bring back some memories.
Disposing of Old PC? - carl_a
Sorry imagos I didn't see your post.
Disposing of Old PC? - mfarrow
Well it must have been 1997 in which case when the 200MHz came out. I know it was early in the year, as a friend in my science class at school said he had a 200MHz machine (yes he was telling the truth), and nobody believed him!

People paid stagging amounts of money back then for a PC. A friend's parents spent £2000 on a Packard Bell in 1995, which had a whopping 75MHz 586. I think a lot of the cost went on the "multimedia" components (CD-ROM ~£200, SoundBlaster ~£50, Speakers built into monitor, microphone, remote control), and a colour DeskJet printer.

The first PC my dad bought in 1992 was a 386 which cost £1000. This included 6MB RAM at £18 per stick, a 106MB HDD, DOS 5 and Windows 3.1. I'm still using the case and VGA card as mentioned above for the backup machine, and both FDDs for my main system.
Disposing of Old PC? - Dynamic Dave
Politely and seasonally reminding people that this is a question and answer thread.

DD.
Disposing of Old PC? - Leon on Derv
Working on the assumption that it still works....

Dont dispose of it - turn it into a dedicated firewall. Buy a network card from Maplin about £20 and download smoothwall from www.smoothwall.org - connect your modem to the old machine and follow the instructions to set up an excellent perimeter defence for your new machine.

only down side is having to have two PCs running to be on the net. IMO a better defence than the software firewalls on offer.

Regards,
Leon
E-bay Auction Sniper Software. - Pugugly {P}

Anybody use any and can you recommend it ?
E-bay Auction Sniper Software. - DL
Harvex is good and works well for me.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Macromedia flash player pop-up - cowpoke
Hi,
I have a very annoying problem. Each time I click on any link, back button, or anything else in internet explorer, I get a "Macromedia Flash Player" installation pop-up. Any ideas on stopping this in it's tracks?
Macromedia flash player pop-up - smokie
Install Macromedia Flash Player?
already installed!
Macromedia flash player pop-up - smokie
You could try de-install it then re-install, in case something went wrong during initial install

Or take a look here or hereabouts... tinyurl.com/584lr
Macromedia flash player pop-up - wemyss
I have a similar problem with flash. On internet site which needs it I get flashing and shimmering of the screen.
Uninstalling it brings the repeated message of install macromedia flash player.
Reinstalling it brings back the same problems. Eventually left it installed which is slightly better than the continual messages.
Macromedia flash player pop-up - malteser
May I reccomend "FlashSwitch"? This is currently freeware and will only work with I.E., but it is a useful little application which enables the switching of Flash objects "on" or "off".
Very useful for the obnoxious Flash advertisements which so often fill the pages of The Daily Telegraph!

The homepage is here :- tinyurl.com/5vmbs

--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Macromedia flash player pop-up - Baskerville
Firefox's adblock extension does a similar thing, but can also be used to kill any other kind of image, animation, or other kind of annoying panel in a page. It's on the Firefox extensions page.
Macromedia flash player pop-up - Stuartli
>>but can also be used to kill any other kind of>>

Not going to help HJ a great deal in seeking to keep this website viable....
Macromedia flash player pop-up - Baskerville
Not talking about it won't make it go away; control over what you are made to look at is one of the things the Internet is good for. But the extension apparently also has a feature which allows you to list the blocked ads so you can see if any interest you without having them clutter up the page. I don't use an adblocker myself and I find the ads here unobtrusive and often useful, unlike the ads on many sites, where they seem to take over the whole page. My policy then is simply not to visit again.
It's not happened at all today, and I have not changed any settings on my computer, But anyway thanks for the replies.

Keith
Macromedia flash player pop-up - wemyss
Thanks for that one Roger. Downloaded it very easily. It hasn't stopped all the shivering and flashing on the screen but has improved it...
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Dave Andrews
hi

i have 512mb sdram and want to add another 512mb - an old myth was that windows wouldnt fully recognise the extra memory unless you formatted and reinstalled the operating system.
any computer boffs know if this is true or can i simply add the extra memory?
the pc is running quite slow and most computers run a lot faster when you wipe them and start again.

thanks

dave
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Altea Ego
And the Version of windows is?
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Stuartli
This should help you:

aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.php
What's for you won't pass you by
its windows xp home

cheers
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Altea Ego
Dave

Windows XP will happily find, gobble up and use this memory you throw at it on its first boot after memory installed.

Are you happy with the actual install of memory in the system board? got the right type, matched the pairs etc?
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - mfarrow
Just add the extra memory and you shouldn't have a problem. Done it on a Win95 PC and increase performance straight away!

When you've installed the memory, double-click on the System icon in Control Panel and the first tab page that appears should tell you how much RAM is installed.
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - GrumpyOldGit
It also depends on the maximum amount of RAM the motherboard can take. As you're running XP I'd guess it's modern enough to take at least 1GB. If you have the motherboard manual it might be an idea to check. If not, can you see the reference number on the board? You can look it up on the web and check the spec.
If you can't be asked to open the case, there's a neat little utility program which I have used for the past 6 years from a campany called SiSoft. It will tell you practically anything you need to know about your computer/motherboard.

It's called Sandra and can be downloaded from www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=s...= .

Has proved invaluable in the past, particularly 2 weeks ago when I reinstalled my PC and XP incorrectly recognised by network card as another and so it wouldn't work!
SiSoft>>

Further to this recommendation, don't forget Windows own System Information which provides full details about your system from every aspect or, in common with SiSoft, Belarc Advisor and Aida32.

These can be downloaded from:

www.belarc.com and www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Belarc is particularly comprehensive, yet easy to use.
What's for you won't pass you by
don't forget Windows own System Information which
provides full details about your system from every aspect

I presume you're talking about the System properties and device manager in Control Panel? I thought device manager only told you what your hardware was from the drivers it has installed? This was my problem when getting my network card to work. Windows had installed chipset A drivers, hence showed chipset A network card installed in Device Manager. I needed SANDRA to get the information off the card that said it was actually chipset B, so I could go off and find chipset B drivers on the internet.
No, I was talking about System Information...:-)

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information.

It provides a full rundown of your system - or you could use utilities such as Aida32 or Belarc Advisor which do a similar job.

Thanks stuart.

I've never looked in System Tools since I used to defrag my Windows 95 PC!
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Citroënian {P}
Hi Dave,

Make sure your motherboard can accept the extra 512 - older boards may not.

XP will just find it if the motherboard is set correctly and can handle it - might be worth defragmenting your disks too.

It will probably run faster after a rebuild, just be careful to have complete backups of your work/important stuff (don't forget outlook!)

Lee

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - smokie
Don't start me off on defragging again LOL

In itself, it will do nothing to help installing additional memory. Don't bother!
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - DavidHM
No one has flagged this, so I will.

What are you doing in XP that requires 1GB of RAM? I would say that the vast majority of people don't need more than 512MB.

You may of course if you are working with very large image files, movie files, 3D rendering, and so on, but if it's a case of the PC is taking a long time to boot, load and run ordinary applications and so on then more RAM is not going to solve the problem.

Instead you'd be better off cleaning the PC of viruses and spyware (try Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG Anti Virus for free), making sure that all drivers are up-to-date and removing any unnecessary programs, particularly if they run on startup, and so on.

However there are so many possible causes for this, it is difficult to advise more specifically on a forum unless you ask about things that you have present.
Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Citroënian {P}
? Don't start me off on defragging again LOL

No, go on, start you off. Can't see what use your post is as it stands.

If the motherboard can't take 1Gb and the system files are strewn across the disk, defragging _will_ help.

Granted, nothing to do with memory directly, but everything to do with performance.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
motherboard can take up to 4gb.

ive formated it all today and its seems to be running a little quicker. i mite invest in another 512mb of ram for what little it costs.

dave
Oh allright then... :-)

Defragging will only make a very small difference in the most extreme of cases and is about the last thing I'd be doing to improve performance. In fact I wouldn't bother - a reload would come before it! A reload has the same effect as defragging, can often be completed quicker and has a much more significant impact due to removing years of accumulated carp from the system.

Disk performance these days is fast enough that fragmentation hardly notices. In olden days when disks were slow it *could* make quite a difference but those days are long gone.

Defragging is also one of the most irritating (and sometimes difficult) maintenance procedures to complete, mainly due to continual restarts.

And, as my original post said, it will make no difference to the successful or otherwise installation of additional memory....which was the point of my post.
>>Defragging is also one of the most irritating (and sometimes difficult) maintenance procedures to complete, mainly due to continual restarts.>>

This is nonsense. My 60GB HDD is defragged about once a month, using the Windows defrag utility, in under 15 minutes and always at the first time of asking - that has been the case over many years no matter what the system setup has been.

Adding RAM is one of the cheapest and most rewarding methods of speeding up a system's responses; even better in many cases than acquiring a faster CPU.

>>has a much more significant impact due to removing years of accumulated carp from the system.>>

Perhaps you should look after your system on a much more regular basis?
PS

The "continuous restarts" you mention are probably due to the screensaver not having been disabled - any programs running and Taskbar utilities should also be closed down first.

To save having to disable the screensaver, moving the mouse slightly every so often during a defrag will prevent it cutting in at the set time interval.
"Perhaps you should look after your system on a much more regular basis?"

I didn't actually post anything about my system performance.

Defragging once a month is admirable: no wonder it finishes so quickly. You have to admit that most users, however, only think to do it once they have a problem.

Regarding chucking more hardware at a slow system - obviously this can work wonders. But as someone (was it DavidHM?) said, 512mb is plenty for normal operation of Windows XP and "regular" apps. RAM is cheap enough these days that if it doesn't have the desired effect then nothing much has been wasted, and certainly it is quicker than diagnosing where a system is deficient and addressing that specific problem.

I wil own up to have never defragged under XP, but earlier Windows used to restart because of access to the swap file, not just the screen saver. A real PITA. That's why doing it in Safe Mode used to be the only semi-reliable way to get it to complete.
Defragging once a month is more than admirable, it's sensible. It was even more so in the days of very much smaller capacity hard drives.

I've been using Windows in most flavours since the 3x days in the late 1980s - defragging has always been undertaken and the operation completed in reasonable time. I have never resorted to doing it in Safe Mode.

The minimum RAM recommended for Windows XP is 256MB, so the more you can add the better to run programs, applications etc.

>>I didn't actually post anything about my system performance.>>

You seemed to infer you didn't worry about years of carp building up...:-)

Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Baskerville
Defragging with the NTFS file system is less important than with FAT32, pre Windows XP, but still important I hear from Windows-owning friends who suffer regular crashes and have learned the hard way. Fortunately I'm using ext3, which is journalling and far more reliable than either (and no defragging required).
who suffer regular crashes and have learned the hard way.>>

Defragging won't necessarily prevent crashes - the causes are usually in other areas.

What it does is help the hard drive to run more smoothly and efficiently as it reduces the requirement to collate scattered files; the longer between defrags the harder it becomes for the read/write head to access/chronologically order the data on the hard disk drive and keep each program together.

Adding another 512mb of RAM. - Baskerville
What it does is help the hard drive to run more
smoothly and efficiently as it reduces the requirement to collate scattered
files

Yes, yes, I know what it does thanks.

; the longer between defrags the harder it becomes for the
read/write head to access/chronologically order the data on the hard disk
drive and keep each program together.

And can thus cause crashes...

Keeping Windows stable and secure seems to require so much effort and so much third-party software I'm amazed it's been as successful as it has. But then people used to repeat-buy British cars too. It's a funny thing.

>>I know what it does thanks.>>

I realise that, but others may not...:-)

>>Keeping Windows stable and secure>>

XP Pro has proved superbly stable and reliable, with very little updating (apart from SP2 which has gone without a hitch in mine and other cases), since first being installed about14 months ago.

Certainly a welcome relief after Windows 98 and 98SE - even Windows 3x proved less troublesome all those years ago...:-)
Windows 3.1 - mfarrow
Certainly a welcome relief after Windows 98 and 98SE - even
Windows 3x proved less troublesome all those years ago...:-)

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I couldn't believe the transition from 3.1 to 95 SP2.5 we made in 1997. Suddenly, we had a brand new "Illegal Operation" window which we'd never seen before. Double-clicking on the desktop didn't give you the Task Manager anymore (and still does nothing in XP!). Oh, and it took twice as long to load as 3.1 did on a 33MHz 386.

"Type WIN and press ENTER to shut down your computer."
Windows 3.1 - Citroënian {P}
"Type WIN and press ENTER to shut down your computer."
Like that one.

May I respectfully hint that we seem to have lost track of the question here, before one of the mods pops in...
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
"XP Pro has proved superbly stable and reliable" - for me too, despite never defragging! :-)

Stability and reliability has also improved because of improved programming of applications. There was a time when there were lots of really crappily written and cumbersome programs out there. Now with rapid development tools and much more use of common interfaces, it is harder for the programmers to screw up. Of course, the operating system also now handles screw ups much better too.

I vaguely remember Windows 1 - I was already an old hand at mini-computer OS internals when it came out. Many features of that 20+ year old mini computer OS have finally made an appearance in XP, which has also contributed to the stability.
>>Many features of that 20+ year old mini computer OS have finally made an appearance in XP>>

Everything comes to he who waits...:-)

Seriously, as has been pointed out already, we never seemed to spend as much time as we do now waiting for a system to bootup or to get on with what was being undertaken.

It wasn't all wine and roses though. I used to use Amstrad's Locomotive(?) word processor for a club's 400 strong membership listing, which took virtually an hour to scroll through the list. If I missed the name I wanted I had to start all over again...:-(

However, at least one of those compact DOS programs I had at the time is still being used by a business mate and, believe it or not, despite its age it coped straightforwardly with the switch from the 20th to the 21st Century.

MP3 - helicopter
I bought helicopter junior a cheap MP3 player in duty free at Doha airport for Christmas. I know it works because we managed to record the voices of the pair of us arguing about how to set it up to record CD's! Unfortunately the English instructions are pretty incomprehensible.

Can anybody please tell me is there an easy guide as to how to set up the computer to download music for him ie, what programs do I need to install or how do I convert and play his existing CD's to the MP3 format and get them onto the player.
MP3 - Baskerville
The mp3 format is scaring the living daylights out of the music industry, so it's now very difficult to find a good, legal mp3 converter for no money. However the all the big media players have pay-for plugins/codecs to make this possible; you just have to download them and supply a credit card number. A good free system until very recently was WinAmp, but you now have to pay for the ability to rip cds to mp3. Will the mp3 player play any other formats, such as Ogg? There are plenty of free open source decoders/burners for that.
MP3 - smokie
Helicopter - what kind of MP3 player is it? One of those small ones shaped like a pen knife (usually 512mb or less)?

What operating system does he have? These things usually attach via USB or Firewire.

Legal downloads are available at a number of sites now - iTunes springs to mind but there are many more (I'm not sure that iTunes is MP3 based - is it some other format?). Less legal are peer-to-peer sharing programs like Kazaa & Limewire (which come with a dangerous payload of spyware and adware) and WinMX. There are hundreds more, someone will be along soon with better ones.

Winamp is one of the Greats in the computer world for playing music in most formats. It will also rip from your CDs, but to do that you need to pay for the Pro version ($14.95). Windows Media Player has a Rip button, but I've never used it so haven't a clue whether it would help you. Google around for cd rippers and you will find a free one, I guess.
MP3 - Civic8
I recommend this for converting MP3 to .wav-wav to MP3.Best thing its free..Mind you. you can buy if you want.Full instructions with program
www.mthreedev.com/
I use it all the time converting cd`s to MP3
--
Steve
MP3 - Altea Ego
What MP3 player is it? Chances are windows Media Player 10 will find it ok and download to it. You may have to load device drivers first
MP3 - Welliesorter
CDex is a good free program for making MP3s from CDs and wavs.

cdexos.sourceforge.net/

MP3 - helicopter
Thanks for all the suggesions.

Whilst I seem to have converted CD's to MP3 format I cannot get the computer communicating with the player via the USB port.I will try reinstalling the drivers.

The MP3 player is a 256mb penknife size job made in China - the name is Yinlips ( Chinese for Philips? )and it was so cheap that I bought it for my son on a 'nothing to lose' basis if it did not work.

It obviously works as it has one pre recorded song- its just getting it to talk to the computer thats puzzling me.

If all else fails I will have to borrow a ten year old from the junior school to show me how to set it up....
MP3 - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
If it would help I have a full set of drivers and an electronic copy of the instruction manual for my MP3.
It is also a USB penknife from China, but has no branding on it.
These are at home, so let me know if you want copies and I will dig them out tonight after I finish 'working' (sat at a desk, nothing to do but clock the hours up.....).

Simon
MP3 - helicopter
Thanks for the offer Simon but I am sure the drivers disc I have is OK and I have probably not installed them correctly or wrongly configured the USB port.I will sort it eventually but I am going to leave it for a while .

Glad to see someone is 'working'this week.
MP3 - Stuartli
If you have XP you don't need drivers - XP will see it as a Removable Drive. It could be the letter R or a follow on from your current drive letters (A, C, D etc).

Open My Computer>Explore and the new drive should be listed if the player is connected.

Just drag and drop your MP3 files into the "Removable drive" in the order required.
MP3 - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
These MP3's are not the same as the USB keys. The USB key can just be formatted and reused without any software having to be put on it - essentially a hard drive.
The MP3 needs its own 'firmware' reinstalling if you format it. Have worked this out the hard way, as I thought it would be the same as my USB key and formatted it when I got bored with the songs on it. It stopped working and needed lots of little files dropping on before the MP3 player would play anything. Would have only been a fancy USB stick without.

Simon
MP3 - Pezzer
Helicopter, I second CDex I've always found it ok and like other programs you can specify the bit rate (sound quality effectively) thats suits your ear and your storage capacity. I prefer 192 Kbps, although many are happy with 128 Kbps which means you can fit in more tracks if you have limited capacity.

To transfer files I have always used Windows Explorer to drag and drop files across from the PC to the player which will normally appear as an additional hard drive once (USB)attached to the PC.

P

Analog -> Digital - borasport20
I think it may be time to transfer the contents of my LP and audio tape library to CD/DVD - where would I start, and what's the best method ?

One query exercising me at the moment is that many of the audio tapes are 'talking books' - how can I break these down into manageable 'tracks' ?

Analog -> Digital - Altea Ego
Slowly in the process of doing this right now. You need a sound card or system board with an "aux in" socket. Its a 1/8" stereo jack socket.

Then you need a connecting cable from your hifi or deck. This needs to be at "line" level not speaker output.(the headphone socket will do)

Recording software. I use Wavepad (its free) nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

There are others if you search around - Polderbits is good.

This records it in .wav format which you can then burn on CD.
The software allows you to split, cut and paste into files you then save as files to burn as "tracks"
Analog -> Digital - Stuartli
The website www.cdrfaq.org offers hundreds of articles on all aspects of creating/converting various forms of media for burning to a CD-R, plus information on hardware and disk media; another valuable source about disk media, the quality standards provided by the manufacturers, which companies rebrand media under their own name etc is www.cdmediaworld.com
Analog -> Digital - JH
Hi Bora,
step 1 - buy a big disk if you don't already have one. The average LP will require about 400 to 500Mb, say 2 albums per Gig with change back.
step 2 - it is probable that you already have sound recording software on your pc. If you have Windows XP look in Start, Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Sound Recorder. If you have a sound card such as SoundBlaster you will find another sound recorder in there. Nero (CD burner) also includes a sound recorder. Be sure to record at CD quality (16 bit, 44.1kHz). If that's not enough choice then you might want to buy one of the "clean up" packages. I'm using Pinnacle (ex Steinberg) Clean. That comes with Wavelab Lite which is really excellent. It records and you can clean up some of the pops and scratches. Don't believe the hype that it'll chop your album up in to tracks.
step 3 - so you've recorded everything, cleaned it up, chopped it up into tracks, organised it in WMP 10, got the album info and regretted doing so (did you really need to know that you bought that album in 19 blankety blank ?) and it's now 2006. Well, it is a LOT of work, be warned.
step 4 - burn. Nero (again) or Clean will burn as wav files (which will play in most CD players) or as MP3. Winamp comes highly recommended.

Good luck !

oh - step 1a - clean the album before you record it. It's easier to do than get rid of cracks and pops later.

John
>>and it's now 2006.>>

The last 12 months must have passed me by...:-)

Nero, if you have the full versions, also includes Wave Editor to cut, clean and modify audio files.
PS

To save patently the trouble, I'll add it obviously wasn't for me...:-)
Analog -> Digital - JH
Stuart,
you start loading up albums at 40 mins a go just to record them and the next 12 months WILL pass by ... :-)

Regards,
John
Firefox shortcuts. - malteser
I am trying to convert SWMBO to the use of Firefox, but am encountering resistance!
The problem is that it seems impossible to create an internet shortcut which may be placed on the desktop. There are several forums which we view on a very regular basis and a desktop shortcut pointing directly to the site concerned is very useful. In
I.E. this is simple and may be done directly from the "favourites" list.
Firefox does not allow this and attempts to use the "create new shortcut" wizard only lead to an Internet Explorer shortcut being created.
Any advice appreciated here!

On another subject, I have just set up a "gmail" account, and am impressed by its ease of operation and facilities compared with the clumsy Hotmail offering from MSN.
If you do receive an invitation to join (only by invitation at present) I highly recommend that you take it up!
If you don't receive an invitation from a friendly current user, type in "gmail" on eBay!
--
Firefox shortcuts. - Stuartli
>>internet shortcut which may be placed on the desktop.>>

If you look at the Firefox Address Bar you'll see a small icon on the left of the URL.

Drag and drop the icon to your Desktop (or wherever you wish). Hey Presto!
Firefox shortcuts. - malteser
Thank you Stuartli.

Works just as it says on the tin :)

Duh - it took a while before I realised this only works if Firefox is set as the default browser - otherwise it creates an I.E. shortcut!
--
Desktop size. - Imagos
I have a flat screen monitor and have just changed screen size from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. Although fonts much much smaller the colour is so much better and sharper, the colours in particular seem washed out on the larger size. Was wondering though if this could have long term effects for the monitor ie. screen burn, slower processor etc?
Desktop size. - Altea Ego
Imagos

Your Flat panel has a Native resolution. If you use the wrong one the monitor has to "interpolate" ie nick adjoining pixels its not supposed to. Your flat panle should only be run at its native resolution.
Desktop size. - Imagos
What you mean it's default setting?
Desktop size. - Imagos
You've worried me now, Am i risking damage? it's a 17' monitor btw. thanks for help RF.
Desktop size. - Altea Ego
Yes its default setting. The panel/pixel combo is designed to work at a certain resolution. It should be in the specs somewhere.

Using anything else will not blow it up, or damage it but the picture quality will suffer badly being "fuzzy" and "blurry" quite blocky with poor colour resolution.

It should also have a default frequency which is much lower than a CRT. Usually about 60hz or tho some are coming out with higher ones. A low refresh rate does not flicker on these like a CRT so its not a problem. Using the wrong frequency WILL damage the electronics.

So RTFM and set windows up to meet the specs.
Desktop size. - DavidHM
The default setting will be set by your computer - monitors won't impose their native resolution on the computer. So plug the computer in and, assuming that it supports the resolution the computer was previously set at, it will carry on with that resolution.

As a rough guide, the native resolutions will be as follows:

14/15" - 1024 x 768
17/19" - 1280 x 1024 (widescreen will be different)
20"+ - 1600 x 1200

TFTs only really look good at their native resolutions, so as RF says, it makes little sense to use them in anything else.
Desktop size. - mfarrow
1280*1024 sounds a bit of a low resolution to be having problems with, especially for 1 17".

Check the default frequency as RF suggests, otherwise try reducing the colour depth, I've never had the need to use a colour depth higher than 16 bit.

If this doesn't work, come back with the make and model.
Desktop size. - mfarrow
Sorry I've completely miss-read the original post, thought u were having problems at 1290*1024.

I'll get my coat...
Desktop size. - Stuartli
Are we talking about a flat screen CRT or a TFT monitor?

I read the original post as meaning the former. TFTs normally work on a fixed resolution and refresh rate (60MHz) for the best performance; however, a CRT monitor should have the refresh rate set to a minimum of 85MHz to prevent screen flicker and eye strain. A much higher figure is unnecessary and could lead to problems with the display if overdone.

If it is a CRT monitor, right clicking on the Desktop will bring up the Display panel. Select Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter.

You should see a button labelled List All Modes; this will reveal all the colour, resolution and refresh rates your particular graphics card will support.

If you have selected the Change settings without rebooting mode, you can try out various colour and resolution settings until you find the one that suits you best.