running lights - colin shawcross
Does any body know of an after fit kit which will enable me to use sidelights as running light, ie they come on with ignition rather than having to switched on manually.
CSS
Re: running lights - David Millar
Colin

Hella were advertising their new after-market running lights a week or two ago. They do have a website but their customer aftersales dept is on 01295 272233 and the factory on 01295 272211.

David
Re: running lights - colin shawcross
David Millar wrote:
>
> Colin
>
> Hella were advertising their new after-market running lights
> a week or two ago. They do have a website but their customer
> aftersales dept is on 01295 272233 and the factory on 01295
> 272211.
>
> David

David,
Thank, found them rightaway on Hella's website.
Colin Shawcross.
PS Honestjohn dosn't hold with running lights, feels they will cause dazzle going over speedhumps (!)
Re: running lights - El Dingo (Martin)
Please don't confuse running lights with so-called driving lights. Running lights are low power, like 'old fashioned' side lights. Driving lights means (essentially) fog lights - these often cause annoyance when used inappropriately, especially over speed humps!

I am all for running lights - perhaps people would use them instead of fog lights?
Re: running lights - KB
What exactly are running lights? I understand what sidelights are, as I do with headlights, fog lights and spotlights. I presume driving lamps are similar to spot lights, and I know that Volvos have their headlamps on all the time. I'm less sure about those clear smallish lamps, often fitted as standard to higher spec models ( or as after-fit) and fitted under the bumper. These are not foglights and I suspect are the ones which are frequently used (illegally?) with OR without without headlamps during clear visibility and often during the day. I rather think these are the ones HJ may be referring to?? They certainly annoy me.

Having said that, I believe I saw that Volvo style - on all day lights, are going to become required by law within the next year or so.

Can someone shed some light on this one for me. Thanks.
Re: running lights - Brian
My Pug 405 has (at the front), so far as I can tell, parking lights with a 5w bulb, a twin filament 60w/55w out of which the 55w is the dipped beam and the 60w's are wired in series as running lights, and a separate main beam bulb and reflector.
Plus fogs.
Therefore I assume that the running lights are intended for use in well lit urban areas to avoid the dazzle of dips but better than parking lights.
Any confirmation?
Re: running lights - KB
Thanks, Martin. So if running lights are like the old fashioned side lights, (which surely still exist?), then you obviously aren't saying drive just on them at night, so presumably they're for daytime use only? What vehicles have running lights fitted from new, apart from Volvo? I ask because I can't recall seeing them on other vehicles. The only 'auxiliary lights I seem to see are what I now understand are 'driving lamps', and they're the ones I object to being used improperly. Fog lamps alwas used to be fitted with fluted, diffused glass and emitted a low, wide beam. The new type seem to have clear glass and just glare in a generally forward direction, to the annoyance of all and sundry.
KB,

I'm sure that these 'running lights' are indeed 'fog lights' under a different name. The same annoyance ensues.

I think maybe the manufacturers intended driving lights to be used for other purposes than for driving in fog - like, for example, driving down narrow unlit country lanes?

However, one should always turn these things off in traffic!
Oops! Colin Shawcross has very politely put me right on this by e-mail. I should stop and think before I type. Sorry!
Re: running lights - richard turpin
KB, Saab have the following. 0=off 1=side lights (they call them parking lights) 2=side and dipped head (plus main beam if you switch to them.) The trick is that in 2 mode, ALL lights turn off with the ignition. If you want to leave side lights on, use 1.
Simple.
Re: running lights - ladas are slow
because of a new EU ruling, all new cars will NEED to have running lights, but these lights are going to be on ALL through the day.
Re: running lights - Brian
LAS
You forgot to mention the man with the red flag.
Strange how fashion repeats itself!
I heard about that too!

The man with the red flag will have a bright unfocussed torch strapped to each knee (thus making a fashion statement, even in the absence of fog);-)