Poor starting Cavalier Diesel - Lotus mad
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a Cavalier 1.7 TD (Isuzu engine) which suffers from difficult starting. The chap i bought it from has recently had the glow plugs replaced but he says it didn't really make any difference, and the garage that fitted them suggested to him that it might be an air leak. Once started and on the road, it does feel lethargic compared to my last Cavalier TD, so i guess it may also be down on power too. I'm not sure yet, but i also suspect its MPG is slightly down too, being around 40 rather than the more usual 50ish i'm used to from these cars.

When starting it spins over for about 4-5 seconds without firing, then slowly starts to fire. It takes about 2 or 3 bursts on the starter before it finally fires up, and its similar when its hot, but not quite as bad.

Things i'm thinking are an air leak somewhere between the turbo and the head, but also could it be drawing air in on a fuel line somewhere, although wouldn't this result in a fuel leak? (i did read on another thread that a chap with a 1.6 diesel cavalier had a chafed fuel line which caused a similar problem) I'm fairly sure its not glow plugs, as its difficult to start when hot too, and also down on power.

I've only had it 2 days so far, so haven't had chance to have a tinker yet, but any ideas from anyone else on here would give me a head start. Thanks
Poor starting Cavalier Diesel - Dynamic Dave

It *could* well be the that the valves need reshimming. Common problem with these Isuzu engines apparantely.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27701
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27382
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=17...6

Poor starting Cavalier Diesel - Number_Cruncher
I agree with Dave; checking the valve clearances should be among your first actions, especially as you say it is down on power once it is running.

number_cruncher