Mondeo - good vibrations? - Big Bird
BRoomers

My Mondeo is suffering from high speed vibration. Seat of pants rather than steering wheel and only really apparent over 70mph (sorry officer).

Had the wheel balance checked by Merityre (a step up from the major chains) and no problems found but vibration still there. Tyres/discs etc all look fine

Any suggestions?

Dan
Mondeo - good vibrations? - SjB {P}
If 'seat of pants', perhaps more likely to be related to a rear wheel than front, where you would also get feedback through the steering wheel. Mondeo is FWD, so rules out propshaft issues.

I have experienced vibration like this a couple of times in cars I have driven. One was an out of round rear tyre (when brand new and only found through careful measurement) and the other was a duff rear damper allowing the road wheel to oscillate.
Ta v much

is there an easy way to check the damper?

Dan
Mondeo - good vibrations? - SjB {P}
Jacking the car up (and then supporting it on axle stands, please!) and thus allowing the suspension to extend to full droop, may reveal any oil leaks. This is actually how I identified the duff damper I wrote of before.

Another way is to bounce each corner of the car good and hard, and see how quickly the car body returns to rest, but I don't find this reliable enough. It will only reveal a damper that reall is shot to bits, rather than one on the way out.

The final method I can think of is to travel in the back of the car whilst someone else drives (obviously, ha ha!) and see if you can pinpoint any noise of floorpan vibration on one side but not the other.
SjB
apologies for very slow thanks (Christmas/skiing hols/away with work and other delays mean the vibration went unsolved for a long time) - yoor advice helped rule out dampers.
eventually traced to a combination of bulge on tyre (missed by both merityre and yours truly until it got worse) and a damaged suspension bush.
cheers
Dan