The Backroom glossary - No Do$h
Not an exhaustive list, more of a work in progress. Feel free to add to this thread and in a day or so I'll cut and paste your suggestions into this post and make it "sticky". Please only add those that you frequently use or see here in The Backroom. I don't want this to turn into a complete list of every acronym on the planet so would welcome slang terms within reason!

AKAIK
As far as I know

BIB
Boys in Blue. The police.

Bling
Ostentatious show of money above taste, i.e. chromed wheels, gold chains, white leather interior. "He's blinged his car" meaning "He's added lots of over-the-top accessories"

FWIW
For what it's worth

Greed Camera
Speed Camera set up in a manner that lends nothing to safety and everything to local scamera partnership coffers

HTH
Hope this helps

HWSBI
He who should be ignored; hubby/boyfriend

IME
In my experience

IMHO
In my humble opinion. Also IMO

IIRC
If I remember correctly

LOL
Laugh out loud

RTFM
Read the flipping manual

Safety Camera.
This one was in the swear filter. These things have little to do with safety these days.

Scamera
A Greed Camera

SWMBO
She who must be obeyed; the better half

Talivan
Speed camera van. Derived from Taliban, who exercise a similarly mindless approach to an arbitrary set of rules

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
The Backroom glossary - Roger Jones
TIA
Thanks in advance
The Backroom glossary - adverse camber
whats with the {P} on various posters names ? is it some sort of masonic thing ?

The Backroom glossary - SjB {P}
whats with the {P} on various posters names ? is it some sort of masonic thing ?

Advertising that their profile is shared for viewing by others. Click on the hyperlinked name to see.
The Backroom glossary - Imagos
whats with the {P} on various posters names ? is
it some sort of masonic thing ?

Yes it is, you have to roll up your trouser legs and have a funny handshake to have a {P} please bob.
The Backroom glossary - Imagos
SWDAST

She Who Does As She's Told.

(in our house anyway)
The Backroom glossary - Roger Jones
That's mythical, surely?
The Backroom glossary - Altea Ego
IYD = In your dreams!
The Backroom glossary - Adam {P}
You're just making these up now...sorry - YJMTUN

:-)
--
Adam
The Backroom glossary - cheddar
FYI I find the "SWMBO" very annoying, after it takes longer to type than "wife". IIRC, ASFAIK etc at least save time.

It means the backroom member has been naughty on here and is on probation.
The Backroom glossary - Hugo {P}
Can anyone advise on BMW??
The Backroom glossary - keo-the-dog

you dont want to know....keo
The Backroom glossary - patently

Swedish furniture giant IKEA today announced its entry into the lucrative premium-branded car sales sector.

From April 2005, all IKEA superstores will stock the new Beamer line. The Beamer line (pronounced beam-urgh) will allow IKEA customers to build their own BMW's from a range of value priced components, using the proven IKEA business model of flat-packed distribution, simple home assembly via allen keys, and recyclable components.

All Beamer models will be based on the same extendable chassis, and a choice of 3 front panel sections will allow customers to build their own 1, 3 and 5 series Beamers. Engine configurations will be surprisingly varied, with an initial choice of 500cc, 600cc, 750cc and 900cc diesel engines. All models will come debadged as standard, but M-badges will be available separately for a small charge, along with quad-exhaust kits and a handy fog-lights-always-on feature.

A special BMW satellite navigation system will allow customers to hide routes never used, such as the 2 left lanes of motorways, and intelligent front sensors will be able to flash automatically if a car is detected in front of the vehicle on the BMW lane.
Thats really fabulous. I can have even more fun now watching people tryng to fit huge parts of BMW's into small hatchbacks in the Ikea car park.
The Backroom glossary - henry k
AKAIK
As far as I know

????
The Backroom glossary - hillman
TTFN, Ta Ta for now.

(ITMA, Tommy Handley)
The Backroom glossary - nortones2
No Dosh: the methods of detecting breaches of the law surely are secondary to the reason for imposing the law? If you don't want to drive at less than or 30 in an urban area, no doubt the polis would be pleased to hear your explanation on why you should be exempt. Until you have convinced them of the folly of moderation, the law stands. Whether its through fixed cameras (stupid, limited effect, unintended consequences etc etc) or through covert means (enhanced traffic police force, no prior warning (to increase compliance rather than fines) ban on certain devices sold to enable 90 in any 30 without active camera etc etc) its not the medium that's the issue. Gaderene swine (as we motorists on the move resemble) need regulation: the trouble is the politicians want to be popular, so the swine (present company excepted) wish to fly everywhere rather than accept a more leisurely mode. Conflict inevitable: strength of will required, but sadly absent.
The Backroom glossary - THe Growler
Correction:

SWMBO
She who must be obeyed; the bItter half. Otherwise known as the B & C (Ball & Chain).

The Backroom glossary - Sprice
TIC - Tongue in cheek
The Backroom glossary - No Do$h
Since nobody is adding anything of worth and Nortones2 wants to turn this into a speeding debate then oooops! I've closed it.
No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk