The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 28 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 29" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28426

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 28.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.
Illogical speed trap - Sofa Spud
I'm pro speed cameras and police speed traps, but today I saw a rather stange choice of location.

There is a village on a main A-road on my way to and from work which has a 30 limit. Loads of drivers ignore this and go through at 40, 50 or even 60 mph. You often get tailgated if you try to keep to 30. I've never seen a speed trap there, despite it being a dangerous place where several accidents have happened.

But about half a mile on from the village and well beyond the 30 zone, the road changes from a slow winding stretch to a straight bit. The police were there with a radar gun. Yet that's a 60 mph stretch of road and my guess is that few drivers would be doing 60 let alone speeding at that point, especially as the police cars were highly visible.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Illogical speed trap - cheddar
Probaly checking average speeds, perhaps following up from a recent accident.
Illogical speed trap - Simon
In my local evening paper today the main story is about a long winding residential road that goes through a new-ish housing estate that has more than its fair share of speeding related accidents. It is used as a rat-run between two major A-roads. The residents are complaining about this and have requested police speed traps etc to cut the traffic's speed. But the police won't and according to their spokesperson it is because: The road winds around in such a way that if they set up a speed camera van/trap the traffic would be able to spot it well before they could be caught and would slow down to avoid getting done for speeding.
Well isn't that the basic idea, to slow the traffic down? Obviously not, its too make as much money as possible from the motoring public and thus a speed trap along that road wouldn't make financial sense.
Illogical speed trap - Sofa Spud
In the case I mentioned above, the police were stationed where a) they were easily visible and b) few drivers were likely to be exceeding the 60mph limit because they were just emerging from a winding section of road. They were definitely using a radar gun because one officer pointed it at me - I was doing less than 50 because I wasn't sure at first whether it was a police check or something and I might be signalled to stop.

Maybe it was a radar gun familiarisation session. I suppose on such occasions the police would be less intersted in catching speeders than demonstrating the kit.

Cheers, SS
Illogical speed trap - blinky
I've seen a Talivan set up a few hundred yards uphill from a roundabout on a NSL dual carriageway in Gateshead (near Metrocentre and Toyota garage). It would be highly unlikely anybody would be doing 70+ in such a short space after the roundabout, plus traffic flow normally restricts speeds.
Illogical speed trap - Mark (RLBS)
>>Talivan

I've seen this a couple of times lately. Given that it isn't actually a word, nor does it make any sense whatsoever, do I assume that its some sort of cool and trendy nickname that one uses if one wants to appear cool and trendy ?

And do I have to have my baseball cap on backwards while I say it ?

>>highly unlikely anybody would be doing 70+

But presumably if they were, that would be dangerous and most ill-advised ? The sort of activity that you might hope was witnessed by a camera ?
Illogical speed trap - Stargazer {P}
Mark, from the ABD website....hardly a set of baseball cap wearing drivers!

A Talivan: A van containing one or more speed cameras used for the purpose of ruthlessly extorting money from drivers, a practice based upon a fanatical belief in 'speed' being the cause of all road accidents. Terrorize drivers into gorping mindlessly at their speedometer instead of looking where they're going.
Origin: term originally used to apply to such vans in Hawaii on or before 16th January 2002, possibly coined by someone named Derek Source. Hawaii subsequently scrapped it's Talivans after massive public protest.
Derivation: from Taliban, a ruthless regime in Afghanistan based upon fanatical religious beliefs which supported terrorism.

StarGazer
>>from the ABD website....hardly a set of baseball cap wearing drivers!

If you say so.

>Terrorize drivers into gorping mindlessly at their speedometer
instead of looking where they're going.

Oh this one annoys me......

1) If you can't drive at a known speed then you are not competent to drive.

2) If you can almost do it, but not quite, then you will find that there is no penalty for 28 in a 30 allowing you 2mph of incompetence.

Speed limits are just that - limits. Not exact speeds at which you must drive.

Nothing wrong with the cameras, although speed limits are frequently ludicrous.

I love the logic - dumb law (speed limit), then argue about enforcement.

How stupid is that ???

Surely the logic should be - dumb law, change the law (speed limit).

Otherwise what will you do with someone who truly believes that they are safe drink driving ? If you should escape enforcement for something you don't agree with, then why shouldn't they ?

Somebody tell me - what is the point, logic, or even wild hope, involved in motivating the argument, hatred, worry against enforcement ? I really don't understand.
Illogical speed trap - Stargazer {P}
>Terrorize drivers into gorping mindlessly at their speedometer
>> instead of looking where they're going.
Oh this one annoys me......
1) If you can't drive at a known speed then you
are not competent to drive.
2) If you can almost do it, but not quite, then
you will find that there is no penalty for 28 in
a 30 allowing you 2mph of incompetence.

I'm just reporting the definition.....having seen the earlier post and not knowing the term 'talivan' I was already looking it up. The ABD definition was the first google hit. Not saying I agree with every sentence.

Agree wholeheartedly with driving within a limit though.

StarGazer
Sorry. Didn't mean to shoot the messenger.
Illogical speed trap - mare
There is a village on a main A-road on my way
to and from work which has a 30 limit. Loads
of drivers ignore this and go through at 40, 50 or
even 60 mph. You often get tailgated if you try to
keep to 30. I've never seen a speed trap there,
despite it being a dangerous place where several accidents have happened.
But about half a mile on from the village and well
beyond the 30 zone, the road changes from a slow winding
stretch to a straight bit. >>

Corsley by any chance?
Illogical speed trap - autumnboy
Its the same problem in my village, where traffic exceed the 30mph limit. The council recently built a roadside hardstand for the white van or as the signs states "For police vehicles only".

I have to pass this pad several times of the day and have never seen any kind of law enforcement vehicle on there and approx. 200 yds along is a controlled school crossing.

I know traffic do speed because I have travelled at 30/35 mph and others have caught me with no problems from no where, cars, trucks and buses.

The only answer would be fitting those sleepy policemen we all dread.
Illogical speed trap - john deacon
DESPITE protests from the council Thames Valley Police continue to block a bus lay-by near Reading College with their controversial mobile speed camera van, preventing buses reaching a raised pavement for disabled access. Are police right to do this?
Illogical speed trap - patently
Are police right to do this?

Only if we can too.
The Speed Camera Thread XXVIII - patently
Has anyone not seen this yet?

--------------------------------------

Product test: Safety Cameras
Reduced road casualties or government flim-flam?
by Flash Gorman, Motoring Correspondent

With safety cameras a familiar site on many ? indeed most ? of the UK's roads, we at The Rockall Times decided it was time to put them to the test in a rigorously scientific manner. We were anxious to investigate claims that the cameras improved safety and reduced road casualties.

For our tests we found a small village with a 30mph limit and a safety camera at the entry and exit points to the village. We then drove through the village in a variety of vehicles and at different speeds. The results are recorded below.

Test One Scenario: A Ford Fiesta was driven through the village at a constant 37 miles an hour.

Test One Result: The safety cameras were activated and a speeding ticket sent in the post to the driver, arriving two weeks later.

Test Two Scenario: A Ford Fiesta was driven through the village at a constant 37 miles an hour. At a point just after the site of the first speed camera, a crash test dummy was suddenly thrown into the path of the car. This was intended to simulate a child running out from the pavement.

Test Two Result: The safety cameras were activated and a speeding ticket sent in the post to the driver, arriving two weeks later. The dummy was damaged beyond repair.

Test Three Scenario: Top motor sport star, Colin McRae, drove through the village in his highly-tuned rally car. He entered the village at 130pmh before violently braking down to 27mph for the first safety camera. He then accelerated up to 100mph before braking again for the second safety camera. This was passed at 26mph.

Test Three Result: No action was taken by the safety cameras.

Test Four Scenario: Two Rockall Times journalists consumed roughly twenty pints each of strong lager and drove a Land Rover through the village, taking occasional pot-shots at locals with a sawn-off shotgun. The Land Rover had its cruise control set to 28mph which it maintained throughout its trip. It did, however, take several detours onto the pavement and a fairly lively shortcut through the school playground.

Test Four Result: No action was taken by the safety cameras.

Test Five Scenario: An eighty-three-year-old great-grandmother in a DAF variomatic crawled through the village at 3mph, stopping seven times to adjust her mirror.

Test Five Result: The safety cameras were activated and two weeks later a ticket arrived indicating the average speed of our vintage motorist to have been 873mph. She has since been fined, banned and jailed.

Conclusion

Our test results appear to indicate that the safety cameras do nothing whatsoever to improve safety.

However, this would mean that the Government's claims as to the effectiveness of such cameras have no basis in fact. In light of the recent Hutton report we understand such an error is completely impossible. We have therefore sent our report to Alistair Campbell so that he might re-interpret the results correctly. We await his findings with eager anticipation.

Next week:
Rockall product test: The amazing new 1,115mph Fiat Uno, as verified by a Cambridgeshire police mobile speed trap.
Speed Camera Influence Range - BrianW
In my experience a camera influences speed for approximately 100 yards (or 100 metres for you youngsters).
25 yards before it as people slow down.
50 yards through the "trap".
25 yards after as normal cruising speed is resumed.

However, I believe that official statistics for casualties before and after installing a camera are based on a kilometre either side (someone may wish to correct me on that).

How far each side of an installation do other people think cameras affect driving styles?
Dreaded NOIP - Dwight Van Driver
So in your am post a dreaded NOIP - well yep I was pushing it.

But hey, bloke in pub the other night was spouting that if I name the driver as Johnny Foreigner on the 172 request instead of me then quids in. Cannot fine, add points etc. Give me that pen.

www.tinyurl.com/5jbkq

Whooooppppps....

DVD
Dreaded NOIP - Badger
I have encountered a talivan on an approach into Preston, parked on the pavement and double yellows, forcing pedestrians to walk onto the busy road to get round it.

Anyone else would have been done for obstruction plus God-knows-what else. It's that kind of boneheaded stupidity that's driving us to rebellion, not speed traps per se. The local paper ran a campaign for a while, publishing photos of such situations night after night, but no-one in authority gave a stuff.
Dreaded NOIP - john deacon
its a question of priorities

if you really think thugs who beat people up every weekend, burgalars, car thiefs taking several cars a week, general disorder and strife on some of our largest estates

are a lower priority than joe bloggs doing 10 mph over the limit you have a very sad view of why we pay for the police

having had an inspector say "sorry we carnt arrest them their fathers are the local big time criminals", im afraid respect is now for the police to earn
Dreaded NOIP - Badger
>>"if you really think thugs . . .are a lower priority"

I don't think I said that, John.
Dreaded NOIP - Badger
I misread your post, John -- I take your point.
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
its a question of priorities
if you really think thugs who beat people up every weekend,
burgalars, car thiefs taking several cars a week, general disorder and
strife on some of our largest estates
are a lower priority than joe bloggs doing 10 mph over
the limit you have a very sad view of why we
pay for the police

John,
Totally agree with your priorities!

For my 2 speeding offences in the pre-camera days I was followed by a policeman for the statutory distance, pulled over, details taken and he then prepared a report that resulted in a prosecution.

Not been caught by the dreaded blue flash, but SWMBO has. Some administrative staff dealt with it and, as far as I am aware, no policeman involved.

I would have thought that the latter system would enable policemen to devote more time to the priorities on which we both are in agreement.

C
Dreaded NOIP - patently
I would have thought that the latter system would enable policemen
to devote more time to the priorities on which we both
are in agreement.

Yes, that would seem to be logical. But it doesn't seem to have happened.

No idea why.
Dreaded NOIP - BrianW
It hasn't happened bcause cameras have replaced policemen rather than supplemented them, because the authorities have been brainwashed into believing that speeding is the main cause of accidents and that cameras reduce speeds.
So the logic goes: reduced speeds=reduced accidents=reduced police. QED.
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
>> I would have thought that the latter system would enable
policemen
>> to devote more time to the priorities on which we
both
>> are in agreement.
>>
Yes, that would seem to be logical. But it doesn't
seem to have happened.
No idea why.

Patently/BrianW
IMO it has happened. Police numbers are considerably higher now than at any time in our history and an even higher number of support staff. This was discussed in another thread.

Increased crime, different priorities, inefficient utilisation of resources all might be reasons why policemen are still hard pushed to cope - but that is not the issue.

Whatever the moral argument against speed cameras it is inescapable that they do release policemen from a time consuming task.

C

Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
>>Whatever the moral argument against speed cameras it is inescapable that they do release policemen from a time consuming task.<<

A good argument but that's assuming that the sole role of a traffic officer is sitting on a bridge with a laser gun when surely this is one of the many things that they do.

I'm not going to say it but you all know what cameras don't measure...
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - NowWheels
but that's assuming that the sole role of a traffic officer is
sitting on a bridge with a laser gun when surely this is one
of the many things that they do.

And if the traffic oficer sitting on a bridge doesn't have to handle a laser gun 'cos that job has been automated, she's free to concentrate on the many other things which can be done.
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
I think that was the crux of my argument NW. They aren't doing the "many other things" because cameras have supposedly made those redundant. Traffic bobbies are getting put on other duties not policing the traffic.

Hello by the way - long time no argue ;-)
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - NowWheels
Hi Adam, nice to argue again :)

I think you state the situation perfectly: "Traffic bobbies are getting put on other duties not policing the traffic"

Exactly. The problem is not the cameras, it's the traffic police being redeployed.

The fact that some forces use cameras as a pretext for the redeployment is a good argument for chief constables to have their thinking skills enhanced, but it's not much of an argument against cameras.

FWIW, I suspect that the real reason for the redeployment is that traffic policing duties don't generate results which affect the the targets that forces have to reach. Burglary, violent crime, car theft etc, seem to be the priority indicators.
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
Yet another seemingly watertight argument. However.....;-)

>>Exactly. The problem is not the cameras, it's the traffic police being redeployed.<<

I'd argue that the former is a prerequisite for the other. Whilst I'm sure that as you say, some forces use it as a pretext for the redeployment, I still don't think that makes any difference to what is actually happening.

The way I see it, if cameras had never been brought in, traffic departments would still be...thriving I suppose. I know it's a simply way of boiling it down but wouldn't you agree?
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - NowWheels
The way I see it, if cameras had never been brought in,
traffic departments would still be...thriving I suppose.

I doubt it. If the pressure is there to redeploy officers to activities which appear more likely to help meet targets, then absence of a lame excuse would't make much difference.

They'd just have to think of another lame excuse :)
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
>>I doubt it. If the pressure is there to redeploy officers to activities which appear more likely to help meet targets, then absence of a lame excuse would't make much difference.<<

Yes - I suppose you're right - damn you!

>>They'd just have to think of another lame excuse :)<<

Lame? LAME?!?!? My arguments may be misguided. They may even be incorrect to some degree....but LAME?!?! I'm hurt. Really I am.
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - NowWheels
Sorry Adam, I wasn't accusing you of being lame -- that tag was meant for the police who trot out that excuse!

I'd describe your argument as more unFocused ;-)
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
>>Sorry Adam, I wasn't accusing you of being lame -- that tag was meant for the police who trot out that excuse!<<

Yes yes. Of course you did NW. I'm afraid the damage has been done. ;-)

>>I'd describe your argument as more unFocused ;-)<<

Har de har har. Lame.... very lame.

:-)
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
>>Whatever the moral argument against speed cameras it is inescapable that
they do release policemen from a time consuming task.<<
A good argument but that's assuming that the sole role of
a traffic officer is sitting on a bridge with a laser
gun when surely this is one of the many things that
they do.
I'm not going to say it but you all know what
cameras don't measure...

Adam,
Not like you to miss the point - or have I missed yours?

All I stated was that speed cameras release policemen for other tasks.

C
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
I suspect I've probably missed your point C ;-)

I read your comment as suggesting that cameras eliminate the need for cops to enforce speed and so, to get on with (what some would argue) more worthwhile tasks.

I was assuming that these tasks were traffic related - e.g. Drunk/Careless/Dangerous driving etc and not other police tasks which would equate to less traffic police despite higher police numbers.

Does that make sense because I think I've confused myself? :-) I'm all for devices to help the police get on with more important jobs but only if it doesn't mean getting rid of a traffic division....

....and that to me sounds like I'm endorsing cameras!!! Help me!
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
Adam,
I came into this discussion in reply to John Deacon who felt police should concentrate on real crime - burglaries etc.

How these released extra police are deployed is another matter.

We live in an era with some of the safest roads in the world with casualties at an all time low; and at the same time with a huge increase in non-motoring crime.

Could it be that re-deployment of traffic police to other duties is the correct way to go?

C
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
Sorry Cardew - I didn't mean to butt into an argument and I must confess, I never read the preceding posts.

I agree that non-motoring crimes should also be policed actively - I know that sounds like I'm trying to get the best of both worlds - traffic and non-motoring crimes being policed.

I didn't just miss your point, I completely misunderstood it (which is quite embarrassing :-))

I'm not saying that we should have squllions of traffic police to the detriment of other police but simply that we shouldn't think cameras are the be all and end all of traffic policing.

As you well know, whether rightly or wrongly, speeding doesn't get high on the list of my serious crimes and I've been trying to steer away from moaning abotu cameras and to see other people's point of view (such as NW) but it is the law and I suppose needs to be policed.

I apologise for interrupt an argument which was making perfect sense to everyone until I came along.

Cheers,

--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - NowWheels
We live in an era with some of the safest roads
in the world with casualties at an all time low; and
at the same time with a huge increase in non-motoring crime.
Could it be that re-deployment of traffic police to other duties
is the correct way to go?

Interesting question. I guess the answer depends in part on how folks rate the different hazards. Is it more important to reduce the chances of losing a few chattels being burgled or to cut the chances of being killed in a car crash? Or, put another way, is it better to lower the risk of your home being ransacked than to minimise the chances of a few airbags being set off in cars?

Not easy questions to answer, 'cos there are a lot of value judgements involved. But before anyone gets complacent about road safety, look at the DfT's 2003 stats on deaths, at tinyurl.com/55d2g -- road casulaties amounted to 28% of all accidental deaths in the UK, and 80% of accidental deaths for males aged 15-19. Sounds to me like something worthy of a reasonably high police priority.
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
>> We live in an era with some of the safest
roads
>> in the world with casualties at an all time low;
and
>> at the same time with a huge increase in non-motoring
crime.
>>
>> Could it be that re-deployment of traffic police to other
duties
>> is the correct way to go?
Interesting question. I guess the answer depends in part on how
folks rate the different hazards. Is it more important to reduce
the chances of losing a few chattels being burgled or to
cut the chances of being killed in a car crash?
Or, put another way, is it better to lower the risk
of your home being ransacked than to minimise the chances of
a few airbags being set off in cars?
Not easy questions to answer, 'cos there are a lot of
value judgements involved. But before anyone gets complacent about road safety,
look at the DfT's 2003 stats on deaths, at tinyurl.com/55d2g --
road casulaties amounted to 28% of all accidental deaths in the
UK, and 80% of accidental deaths for males aged 15-19. Sounds
to me like something worthy of a reasonably high police priority.

NW,
As you say not easy questions to answer.

I don't think anyone is complacent about road safety. However if we doubled the traffic police on our roads - at huge cost - how much would it reduce casualties? Quadruple them - what then? It follows the law of diminishing returns.

If accident reduction was the sole aim, halving all speed limits and have it enforced by speed cameras every 100yards would achieve this and would probably be self financing! Yes I am advocating this - as long as I am exempt!!!!

Now if we want to talk about complacency and priorities, we could widen the issue and look at reducing avoidable casualties for GB Ltd. Twice as many innocent people die in hospital from the MRSA infection(superbug) than on UK roads. These deaths are largely caused by negligence - lack of hygiene - but are not classified as accidents. For a fraction of the cost of policing our roads we could make huge inroads into that casualty toll.

C
Dreaded NOIP - patently
We live in an era with some of the safest roads in the world
with casualties at an all time low

No we don't.

Road casualties are increasing, and have been for the last few years. We used to live in that era, and then we introduced cameras and redeployed traffic police.

Cameras catch the marginal speeders - those who trundle at 35 unaware. They are dangerous; but not as dangerous as the reckless who do 55 but slow to 28 for the camera.

Traffic police ignored the trundlers and went for the reckless. Speed cameras catch some illegal drivers, but miss the most dangerous.

That is why they are hated; because they are the motoring equivalent of prosecuting every single litter lout but ignoring the muggers.
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
Incidently, jumping on the Patently bandwagon, 2 more people were killed on Lancashire's road in 2003 than in 1996.

i think that's the first time I've ever had any statistical evidence to back anything up.
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - NowWheels
Cameras catch the marginal speeders - those who trundle at 35
unaware. They are dangerous; but not as dangerous as the
reckless who do 55 but slow to 28 for the camera.
Traffic police ignored the trundlers and went for the reckless.
Speed cameras catch some illegal drivers, but miss the most dangerous.

SPECS cameras don't ignore the reckless. I take it from this that you'd approve of SPECS cameras, or of hidden cameras in well-signed limits
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
Er....isn't weaving all over the motorway, being drunk, unroadworthy car being wreckless? None of which are measured by SPECS. I take it you mean that the average speed is measured? Yes. But you can be reckless in other ways.

Oh how I love this. It's like the old days all over again!
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
Er....isn't weaving all over the motorway, being drunk, unroadworthy car being wreckless?

"Wreckless" No I think you might have a wreck!

LOL
Dreaded NOIP - Adam {P}
Hmmm. I appear to have made a mistake....the first time in......4 hours!

I of course meant reckless. Apologies!
--
Adam
Dreaded NOIP - patently
If you decide to focus the entire road safety effort on catching speeding motorists, then SPECS is the best way of doing so.

But I would argue that you would not be acting wisely. And, sadly, the death rates would back me up.
Dreaded NOIP - Cardew
>> We live in an era with some of the safest
roads in the world
>> with casualties at an all time low
No we don't.
Road casualties are increasing, and have been for the last few
years. We used to live in that era, and then
we introduced cameras and redeployed traffic police.
Cameras catch the marginal speeders - those who trundle at 35
unaware. They are dangerous; but not as dangerous as the
reckless who do 55 but slow to 28 for the camera.
Traffic police ignored the trundlers and went for the reckless.
Speed cameras catch some illegal drivers, but miss the most dangerous.
That is why they are hated; because they are the motoring
equivalent of prosecuting every single litter lout but ignoring the muggers.

Patently,
In general terms our casualties ARE at an all time low(or very close to it) - despite vastly more traffic they about a third of that 30 or so years ago. Mainly due to safer cars and less tolerance of drunk driving, rather than curbs on speeding.

Of course I have the same reservations about speed cameras as you and many others and preferred the discretion and judgement exercised by traffic police.

So what should we do? Abolish speed cameras and take police away from catching the muggers and burglars to stand on motorway bridges, or behind bushes, with their lasers?

Lets have more police - especially traffic police, more doctors and nurses, more teachers, more prisons. Oh and lower taxes please.

C
Inaccurate gatsos? - teabelly
Another interesting bit of research. An engineering chap has been testing gatsos and has found that they are flashing not at the regulation 500 ms but longer therefore increasing the distance a vehicle is alleged to have travelled during the flash and therefore recording a higher speed than the vehicle was actually doing.

For more read here:

www.safespeed.org.uk/notso.html

With lower tolerances for speeding mentioned in the Road Safety (my backside it's just for profit) Bill isn't it going to lead to people being prosecuted for speeding when they weren't at all, never mind doing them for a higher speed than they were actually doing? Before NW chimes up 'well drive even more slowly then' I think most motorists have the right not to be prosecuted for driving at the speed limit!
teabelly
Inaccurate gatsos? - Bromptonaut
I'm struggling with mph/metres per second, but surely the interval between the photos is that of the camera shutter rather than the flash.
Inaccurate gatsos? - Adam {P}
I think teabelly is saying they're one and the same thing in this instance. The camera flashes when the shutter opens.
--
Adam
Inaccurate gatsos? - Badger
So what do the white calibration marks on the road surface do?
Backup. You can work out how fast the car has travelled by measuring how many white markings it has passed in between the two pictures. I wouldn't have the first clue what each mark means timewise but I think DVD posted on them a while back.
--
Adam
The white marks are only accurate because you have the photos taken at half second intervals. If the two photos aren't taken exactly half a second apart/the calculation altered accordingly then the speed given will be wrong. The white marks are backup to the radar device in the gatso which can also be inaccurate.

If the proof supplied by the SCPs is no longer beyond reasonable doubt then I can't see how you can prosecute anyone for speeding below a large margin above the posted limit. Even then you couldn't guarantee that the speed reading of the gatso or the pictures provide an accurate speed measurement so you can't honestly say how much above the threshold someone was.
teabelly
Inaccurate gatsos? - Stargazer {P}
Teabelly
I was under the impression that the radar speed was not used for the prosecution but that the eyeballed pair of photos were checked for the speed calculation. Does this calculation use a default 500mS (0.5s) or does it use a time stamp on each of the pair of photos?

In the latter case it is not important on the exact time delay between photos as long as the delay is known.

If the photos are not time stamped to better than 0.01s then this doesnt hold of course.

StarGazer
Yes, that's what I'd believed, Adski -- two pictures with a known time interval. Neither flash nor shutter speed (which in combination only determine the exposure) as discussed above seem to come into it. Or have I still missed summat?
Inaccurate gatsos? - Altea Ego
Oh YAWN!

factoid one, it was 41 mph in a 30 mph limit. At 500 miliseconds or 630 milliseconds he was over the speed limit by some margin under both sets of timings.

Factoid two, The flash is for ID purposes and backup with the markings. The primary instrument is the doppler shift radar which prints the speed on the photo.

Factoid three. His speedo was probably indicating 45 mph.

Summary: Another stupid motorist who cant read speed limit signs and see a Gatso camera or the white markings on the road. The only difference with this one is that he is wriggling like a slimey eel.
He might have been taking the wotsit but what about other people who are just over a prosecution threshold or are done in 60 mph areas where the discrepancy in timings would have a bigger effect? If the speeds aren't being checked properly then you could have the radar saying one speed, inaccurate photos agreeing with it and innocent people getting points or more points than they should have.

Doppler shift radar isn't faultless either. It also pays the SCPS to be slack in checking these things as they have a vested interest in getting as many fines as possible. An independent third party needs to be processing prosecutions not the SCP. Alternatively all the evidence needs to be sent out with the NIP so that you don't have the situation of having to plead guilty to see the evidence. Those that were trying it on would be banged to rights and those that were genuinely not speeding could check for themselves.
teabelly
"what about other people who are just over a prosecution threshold or are done in 60 mph areas where the discrepancy in timings would have a bigger effect?"

Plonk them in the "stupid motorist" bucket too.

There is NO - that is NO - excuse for being done by a fixed Gatso or Truvelo. In fact any motorist cuaght by one should also be done for driving without due care and attention AS WELL
Inaccurate gatsos? - Ex-Moderator
>>There is NO - that is NO - excuse for being done by a fixed Gatso

Ooo, not sure I can agree with that one. Not many or not as many as people would try to have us believe, perhaps. But none ? Surely that assume that all cameras/speed limits are well-signed and appropriate ?
The validity of speed limits is another argument, one I have some sympathy with. Some speed limits may not be as well posted as others, but enough clues are given. Some cameras may not be as easy to see as others, but again the tell tale signs are there to be seen.

I can have sympathy with those who get caught by other means (like SPECS although I can spot them) or policemen on bridges, fixed measuring points etc. Again tho the observant motorist should be able to spot a large proportion of these devices.

So yes. I stand by what I said.
You had better include anyone that gets done for travelling over 40 mph on the A34 just outside Stone. The limit goes from 60 to 40 and the gatso is before the first repeater. The limit change sign is frequently covered in foliage and the road doesn't narrow (the road is a wide dual carrieageway) to give any other indication of the limit change. In areas where limits change from one to another it is often tricky to work out which one should apply at any given point. I'd rather someone was watching where they were going then desperately looking around for speed limit signs and gatsos....

If the speed limit was clearly marked on all the gatso signs as well as the gatso itself then I'd agree with you. There are plenty of places where the limit isn't clearly marked and where the limit changes without other reference points changing eg width of road which provide decent information as to whether the limit has just changed.

You do realise if you get a NIP for speeding from a gatso or truvelo many of us will end up in hospital with split sides ;-)
teabelly
"You do realise if you get a NIP for speeding from a gatso or truvelo many of us will end up in hospital with split sides ;-)
teabelly"

And Quite Rightly too. And I shall be man enough to stand up on here and say "I got caught by a Gatso/Truvelo" and I shall say "I was Stupid or unobservant"

I last got nicked for speeding in 1983. 50 in a 30. By two policemen who followed me in an unmarked brown Austin Princess.
I was unobservant and stupid and three points and 60 pounds poorer, but I didnt whinge or wriggle. Fair cop.

Inaccurate gatsos? - patently
RF - much of what you say is true. Some small parts of it I disagree with in ways that have been thrashed out at length and won't bore you with. This leaves:

No, we don't know he was at 41 in a 30. The SCP says that he was; the point is that they refused to give any evidence of calibration. Now, if you drove past the Gatso at 30, and it took two photos 0.63 seconds apart (as he measured), then the SCP would send a NIP claiming you were at 38.

Their 41mph NIP corresponds to 32.5 mph. OK this is over 30, but take a look at your speedo dial; this is a difference in the needle position of about 1-2mm. Keeping to 30 rather than 32 is likely to distract attention from the road by an amount that reduces safety margins more than they are increased by the 2.5mph drop. That is no doubt why current guidelines are that 32 should not be the subject of a prosecution. In this case, it may have been.

The radar speed measure is not accurate or reliable enough for prosecution. Thus, it is used only as a trigger. The prosecution is based on the two photographs. The evidence put before the Court is that in 500ms, the car travelled x metres as shown in the photos. Of course, this evidence is wholly unreliable if the time interval is not known with accuracy.

This is an important case. My retired mother has been caught twice by cameras in the same areas as this case, both for 37 or less in a 30. If those cameras were set to 0.63s then she has wrongly been taken halfway to a ban.
Patently,

This brings me back to my question...is the photographic evidence time-stamped?

I have never seen any speed camera photos and the police seem to be very reluctant to provide this to anyone.

Can any BR people say if the photographic evidence is timestamped with sufficient accuracy to determine the time delay between photos?

StarGazer
www.stvincent.ac.uk/Resources/Physics/Speed/road/s...l

May be of interest to you Stargazer
--
Adam
Thanks Adam,

OK so the time is given to the nearest second and time delay seems to be fixed at 0.5sec.

So if the photographic evidence is used for prosecution then the police should be using a calibration certificate to show that the delay is correct.

In borderline cases this might be worth chasing.

(NB I am actually for policing of speed limits but really dont like the attitude of expecting drivers to own up to marginal offenses without automatically providing the evidence.)

StarGazer
Inaccurate gatsos? - daveyjp
If it stamps the first photo with the time up to the nearest second it can't be beyond the realm of man to time stamp both photographs to the nearest 100th of a second.

Yes the guy is right to go to court on a technicality - plenty of Police have had road traffic offence charges dropped for arguing incorrect procedure, but the fundamental argumnt is if the guy had been driving within the limit he wouldn't have been photographed anyway.
Inaccurate gatsos? - Peter D
The speed to prosecute against is the Radar doppler shift and the phote is used in cases where the speed id disputed or more than one vehicle is in the beam including the possibility that the vehicle approaching the camera on the other side of the raod triggered the camera and you just happened to be on the markings going away from the camera at 30mph. The time interval used is .5 of a second and the accuracey is better than your digital watch and when did you have to correct that last, most watch are good for 3 or 4 seconds a month and all the camera needs to do is remain accurate for .5 of a second. Many facts and figures available on Pepipoo.com. Regards Peter
The radar speed measure is not accurate or reliable enough for prosecution. Thus, it is used only as a trigger.

Sorry Mr P you are wrong. The Radar is the evidence not a trigger. It prints its output on the photo.

"The prosecution is based on the two photographs. The evidence put before the Court is that in 500ms, the car travelled x metres as shown in the photos."

No its not. The prosecution is based on the output of the radar. The photos are for a: the speed printed on them from the Radar. B: identification of the car against the printed speed.

Two photos are taken for manual inspection and verification in the event of a dispute.
Two photographs are taken. We agree on that.

Why? Why not just use the fact that the radar triggered, plus one photo to id the car? There would then be a 50% saving in materials and no need to paint line on the road - thus less warning and more flexibility in placement.

Answer: because it is not reliable enough to use as evidence in court, for a range of reasons. Therefore two photos are taken and the prosecution is based on them not the fact that an electronic box of tricks said 'yes'.

(I hope that I am never able to speak with true authority as to what evidence is actually offered!)
But a hairdryer's readout is accepted.
And it must be calibrated daily before the shift starts, I understand.
Thanks, patently -- you live and learn. Any idea how it's done? It would have to be by calibration instrumentation I gather, since simply pointing it at a jam-butty car hurtling towards the hairdryer at a supposedly known speed would be open to challenge for all sorts of reasons.

Once upon a time, you were done by two coppers following you in their car for a specified distance and checking your speed against their speedo. A copper subsequently giving evidence in court would conclude by intoning (with a straight face) the ritual statement that "the police car's speedometer was checked after the incident and found to be accurate". Oh yeah?

Stripey,

I think it's something as simple as pointing it at an X on the wall in the yard of the nick that they know the distance from. Sounds ridiculously low-tech but I'm 99% sure that's how they do it.
--
Adam
Thanks for the info. That would certainly zero it, but unless they then get the wall to move at a known speed it isn't calibration. . .

Has anyone ever successfully challenged this?
I thought that but isn't the calculation for laser (and so the vehicle speed) part of the device and unable to be changed? Otherwise, they'd need to have the calibrated speedo of a police car and calibrate it that way.
--
Adam
Inaccurate gatsos? - NowWheels
With lower tolerances for speeding mentioned in the Road Safety (my backside it's just for profit) Bill

When I read the Bill, I didn't find that section. Can you identify it?

(I don't think it's actually there)
Inaccurate gatsos? - Dwight Van Driver
NW Intention to have graduated FPN and points, depending of speed, i.e. Low penalty,Standard penalty and Higher penalty in the RS Bill see

tinyurl.com/3pnwm

I see the authority in the Bill to make the necessary Statutory Instrument in detail - not as yet as I understand published in full detail- at Sections 2 and 3. See also 16

tinyurl.com/47jh7

DVD

Inaccurate gatsos? - NowWheels
Thanks, DVD. From previous readings, that's what I thought was there.

Not only is there no mention of teabelly's "lower tolerances for speeding", I can't identify anything in the bill which would restrict the discretion of Chief Constables -- or which would allow a statutory instrument to do so.

Without that power, there cannot be any lower tolerances -- because the tolerances are not part of law, they are an operational convenience agreed by ACPO and implemented by most forces.

I'd love to see lower tolerances on 30mph limits, but this Bill will not require ACPO to change policy.
Inaccurate gatsos? - john deacon
id like to see cyclists kept off the road unless they pay road tax, id like to see all cyclists sent bills for their contribution to unused cycle lanes, forced to wear helmets

id like to see fair attribution of blame for road accidents, including some of the worst cases of obviously badly designed roads leading to the corresponding engineer and council dept in court, not fair to blame the drivers for accidents in some places

etc
Oh dear. You don't really like us much, do you John? I'll bear that in mind.
no mention of teabelly's "lower tolerances for speeding"

IIRC, the press releases which accompanied the Bill mentioned the lower limit applying to speeds less than those which are not prosecuted, the middle limit being the same as that now applied to existing speeding, and the upper limit being applied to more serious speeds.

And, as we know, more thought and effort goes into HMG's press releases than their legislation.
i love everyone stripey, why u feeling like that?
Well it's like this, John. How can I put it -- er-- well, my name is Stripey and I am a cyclist. I can't help it. I try to control it it, but just one whiff and I'm off on it again. I don't wear a helmet, can't use cyce lanes because they're full of parked cars and make a point of annoying as many motorists as possible.

Is there any hope for me at all?
PS: I forgot to add that the British Medical Association is opposed to mandatory cycle helmets, which have been shown in Western Australia (which had mandatory helmets) to have had no effect at all on serious head injury or death, See bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/321/7276/1582...5 .

No. I shall continue to let the wind blow through my thinning locks. And me woolly 'at.
i like cyclists, and at times am one myself, i think its totally reasonable that they pay their own way

ive heard various argumets on the cycle helmet debate and on balance i trust the people who conclude they make it safer and that they should be compulsory, would welcome more research (paid for by cyclists of course)

wouldnt take the BMA's advice on much, they are currently leading a profession killing 100s of people a year, with ever lower standards

would say there are better people to comment than the BMA

but hey only my opinions

dont think the mass arrival of cycle lanes has made much impact on cycle safety either, and on balance has been yet another large national waste of public money by the guardian reading politically correct nuts
oh and the militant cyclists doing their mass cycles round london swearing at motorists and breaking every line in the highway code do cycling no favours either
I've no time for the street warrior stuff, and share your views entirely on those mass demonstrations. Just gives the rest of us a bad name.
see were friends

happy tiggers

incidentaly dont think the mass arrival of cycle lanes over the last 10 or 20 years has led to a mass increase in cyclists has it ? even places which are designed for cycles from scratch (milton keynes such a badly designed place) tend to be failures, cycle lanes end up dangerous dodgy places to go, totally non family friendly, and quite nice getaway lanes for car theif fraternity
Ours are just plain silly. White paint put down to meet targets but without any purpose. One is a 50 yard stretch in the middle of a long straight. Must have run out of paint or something.
same people as mentioned in "id like to see fair attribution of blame for road accidents, including some of the worst cases of obviously badly designed roads leading to the corresponding engineer and council dept in court, not fair to blame the drivers for accidents in some places" in charge i imagine

wouldnt let them design a wendy house, never mind the public highway
Inaccurate gatsos? - BobbyG
I can't be bothered reading any reports etc , but can someone please explain to me how anyone can think that it is safer for cyclists NOT to wear a helmet than wearing one?

I speak from experience - the surgeons said if my brother hadn't been wearing his, he would be dead.