Devices in Mercedes front wings - vwdriver
Around london I have noticed small circular black/silver things sunk into the front wings of mercedes cars. I think they may be some kind of security device as they mostly seem to be on s-classes possibly used to transport vips. Does anyone know what these are?
Devices in Mercedes front wings - Humpy
flag holders???
I don't think so, they seem too frequent to be flag holders, in some smart areas they appear to be fitted to almost every merc. Only seen them on s classes though.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - mare
they are to help you park the cars as they are so big.
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - Imagos
Don't know but on S class Mercs about J or K reg some of them have 2 prongs that come out of rear wings about 6 inches then retract, later ones of the old shape don't have them.

Anyone know what they're for?
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - Schnitzel
Limpet mines?
Be sensible.. Can't we have sensible answers for sensible questions not silly quips. thank you.
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - tunacat
Touchy!!!

Yesterday you were saying
"Come on you miserable lot lighten up!"

;~|

Well yes , but that post was after 3 pints of beer! :-}
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - BobbyG
Possibly to help aid reversing? Then overtaken by technology with reversing sensors?
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - NowWheels
Anyone know what they're for?

To help you park, by indicating where the corners of the car are? (If you have long-range vision to see that far ...)
It's not the Mercedes Benz circular badge without the protruding Propeller motif is it (if you know what i mean) These cars had full sized badges on the front grill i think..
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - PhilW
"small circular black/silver things sunk into the front wings of mercedes cars."

Did I read somewhere that there was a trend for (rich)people to have these cut into their cars, covered with reinforced glass with a piece of expensive jewelry (Cartier? Faberge??) or something inside? I thought it was a joke, or at least couldn't believe that anyone would do it - but it sounds like they have!!
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - Pugugly {P}
There was some mention in AutoExpress last week on this trend..
Well remembered PU - that's what I was thinking of - go to
www.ehlers-marketing.de
and look at pictures under "car piercing net" on menu on left.
Are these what vwdriver has seen?
Also see
www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1177972.html
Devices in Mercedes front/rear wings - vwdriver
No these aren't the ones they are smaller and don't contain anything they are almost entirely black with just a silver ring around the outside. I think the idea that the are flag holders which extend out of the body work when required is probably the best guess.
The circular objects seem to be in a strange place for them to be parking sensors or aids as they are about half way up the front wings and about 40cm fron the headlights. They aren't where a merc badge was attached. Thanks for all ideas so far. I haven't noticed any on the rear area.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - JohnM{P}
Listed in the S-Class price list from the website are the following features/options which may require sensors:

'Radar Assisted Cruise control'
'Parktronic'
'Headlamp Assist'
'Pre-safe system for anticipatory occupant protection'

JohnM
Devices in Mercedes front wings - Mark (RLBS)
>>'Pre-safe system for anticipatory occupant protection'

What in God's name is that ??
Devices in Mercedes front wings - Pugugly {P}
Seat belt ?? Either some rune stones.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - Mark (RLBS)
I wasn't sure if it meant it was anticipating needing to offer protection to existing occupants, or anticipating occupants who may or may not need some protection.

The first would be something like a seatbelt pre-tensioner.

The second would presumably be something like a radar system detecting approaching people and estimating as to whether or not they were likely to become occupants.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - Pugugly {P}
or a couple of heavily bult minders !!!!!!!!!
Devices in Mercedes front wings - rjr
According to DaimlerChrysler:

PRE-SAFE® is a preventative system that recognises critical driving situations that could lead to an accident, and goes into action immediately to prepare both occupants and the vehicle for a possible collision by:

Tightening the driver and front passenger seatbelts as a preventative measure.
Putting the front passenger seat into a better position if it should be disadvantageously situated, and improving the angle of the backrest and seat cushion.
Activating the electrically adjustable individual rear seats to improve the angle of the seat cushions.
Automatically closing the sunroof if the vehicle is in danger of rolling over.
Thanks to the preventative protective measures undertaken by PRE-SAFE®, vehicle occupants are placed into a better sitting position that ensures that seatbelts and airbags will work more effectively. If the accident is avoided, the preventative tensioning of the seatbelts is automatically deactivated, allowing the occupants to return the seats and the sunroof to their original positions.

PRE-SAFE® is able to prepare for an accident by combining elements of active and passive safety to create a synergy that is unique in the world to date: PRE-SAFE® is networked to the ABS anti-lock braking system, Brake Assist and the Electronic Stability Program (ESP?), all of whose sensors can recognize dangerous driving manoeuvres and send the corresponding data within seconds to the control units for these standard safety systems. Mercedes-Benz uses this sensor data for its preventative occupant protection system. In future, PRE-SAFE® will be outfitted with additional features for preventing accidents, including a system for autonomous or semi-autonomous braking in critical situations.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - pdc {P}
They'll be putting cordex in the sunroof next, and having you strap into leg and arm harnesses, so that your limbs are in the correct position when the ejector seat bangs out!
Devices in Mercedes front wings - patently
"Pre-safe" is a classic Merc techfest, Mark.

The car monitors things - braking effort and possibly others not known to me. If it reaches the opinion that an impact is likely, such as when you hit the brakes for all you are worth, then it prepares the car and its occupants.

Things like the windows and sun roof shut, because you are safer in the car than flying out of it into the path of an oncoming juggernaut. The electric seats move to an upright position because that's where the airbag works best.

No doubt the satnav also re-programmes, offering you a choice of local bodyshops and purveyors of replacement trousers.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - Altea Ego
The windows shut? Oh Come on, electric windows (yes even in a Merc) work so slowly that the entire herds roaming the Serengeti could escape during an accident!!!
Devices in Mercedes front wings - patently
the entire herds roaming the Serengeti could escape during an accident!!!

:-)

I don't have an S-class, nor do I sell them. So I don't really care.

However, I think that's why it tries to start the process before the accident. And a slightly open window is probably better than a fully open window.

Wait for the compensation claim for an S-class driver whose arm was severed by the rising window! (for loss of the Rolex, not the arm...)
"all of whose sensors can recognize dangerous driving manoeuvres and send the corresponding data within seconds to the control units for these standard safety"

Bogcaster County Court, 16:30

Judge: "Right usher next case please"
PcPLod "Your honour, A mercedes driver who had closed windows and sunroof therby proving that his car had performed a dangerous driving manoeuvre"
Judge: "Thats the 17th today isnt it"
PcPlod "yes your honour"
Judge: "Very well £60 and three points - How can you pay?"

Spluttering Mercedes driver leaves court to see the Balif......
Devices in Mercedes front wings - NowWheels
Oh Come on, electric windows (yes even in
a Merc) work so slowly that the entire herds roaming the
Serengeti could escape during an accident!!!

Ah, but you're forgetting that time slows down in the moments before a crash. So what seems like a few split seconds to the outside observer is actually plenty of time for the electronics to do their business ...
Devices in Mercedes front wings - trancer
Surely you meant the *perception* of time?. Even the Pre-Safe system would have no effect on time before a crash.
Devices in Mercedes front wings - NowWheels
Surely you meant the *perception* of time?. Even the Pre-Safe
system would have no effect on time before a crash.

No, it's definitely real time.

When the road safety advertising people filmed all that happened in those crashes of folks without seatbelts, those clips lasted plenty long enough for the windows to roll up...
[/tongue-in-cheek]
Ok the electronics will do the thinking in 000.1 nano seconds, and they well might think the window is up they can not however think an electric window up thats takes 5 seconds to wind up.

Devices in Mercedes front wings - PatrickO
Are they like the spikes bodecea had on the side of her chariot to plough through the peasents in her way?