M25 Hotspots am/pm - sennapod
Hello

I need to commute 180-degrees around the M25 - from the A41 in the north to the M20 in Kent.

Conundrum - which way around to go ? (via Heathrow, or Dartford tunnel)

Please can anyone advise - where are the hotspots and jams in both the morning and evening rush-hours ?

going through London is NOT an option.

(I searched the other threads - but nothing which gives the whole-M25 perspective))

Thanks
M25 Hotspots am/pm - Mark (RLBS)
I'm sure that anti-clockwise must be shorter ?

But you've got to balance the roadworks after Heathrow with the bridge/tunnel at Dartford.

I'd still go anti-clockwise and the roadworks won't be there forever (or at least, not those specific ones !)
M25 Hotspots am/pm - dilbert
I frequently make the journey between 28 (A12) to 10 (A3). In the clockwise morning rush, queues for the bridge usually start around 30-31. At a guess I'd say that it takes about 20-25 minutes to make it through the tolls. After that, it doesn't usually slow up again until after J4 (at which point it becomes horrendous but I'm guessing that you'll have come off by then). If you chose anti-clockwise (am again) it usually flows fairly freely between J10 and M20.

PM rush (anti-clockwise) there is rarely a significant problem at the tunnel though when it turns bad it turns REALLY bad.

Sorry - not sure about the rest.

M25 Hotspots am/pm - Altea Ego
South & west

AM: Anti c/w
It will be stop start between 16/17/18. It *will* be jammed at J15 and this will carry on round to J12. Normally the M25 anti/c from J11 round to J4 in the morning is clear of major congestion and can be quite quick.

PM: C/W
J4 to Reigate hill will be fine, there will be a slight holdup going up the hill, then its fast all the way to J11 (sometimes J10) where it *will* be jammed to J15. J15 to 18 will be stop start.

North & east
The dartford crossing will be jammed or slow, both ways am or pm - sometimes all day. Only the length of the q varies!
M25 Hotspots am/pm - Canon Fodder

Oh man! Are you planning to do it every day, I hope you've got...

a. an automatic

b. a cd autochanger

c. aircon

d. patience

As for the route, I'd agree with Mark that anti-clock is the way to go, as the thames crossing is very nasty in the evening. On the plus side the J12-J14 roadworks have only got another 6 months or so to run [I think] and after that you'll sail through with 5 lanes to choose from.

The worst section is from the M40 down to Heathrow, you might want to try to find a dodge round that?

Good Luck,

CF
M25 Hotspots am/pm - Altea Ego
"On the plus side the J12-J14 roadworks have only got another 6 months or so to run [I think] and after that you'll sail through with 5 lanes to choose from."

Nope! When it was three lanes we had 3 lanes of jams, when it was widened to 4 lanes we had 4 lanes of jams, when it goes to 5 & 6 we fully expect..............
M25 Hotspots am/pm - No Do$h
Nope! When it was three lanes we had 3 lanes of
jams, when it was widened to 4 lanes we had 4
lanes of jams, when it goes to 5 & 6 we
fully expect..............

..... to find the same bunch of self-important p******s staying in the outside lane until 100yds before their exit, only they have to swerve further to make it.
M25 Hotspots am/pm - TrevorH
Try

www.highways.gov.uk/trafficinfo/plan_js.htm

Using the Traffic Forecaster you can see likely speeds on the m-way network at a given date/time, or even animate for a 24hr period. It gives you a sensation of where and when it is busy but is unlikely to answer your question definitively.

FWIW I vote anti-clockwise. Busy, but predictable(ish).
M25 Hotspots am/pm - patently
Anticlockwise.

Go clockwise and you have the toll and the white sock bridage from 25 to 31. I'm not kidding - that section is more stressful.

Anticlock will hit the roadworks which are not funny, so take care.

I used to do Jn22 to the M23. Leave well before 7 else 20-18 will be stationary. It will be hard work; the advice above re equipping yourself with auto/CDC/aircon/patience is well given.
M25 Hotspots am/pm - Civic8
I would go Anticlockwise. generaly a faster road than clockwise.
though bear in mind if there is a problem at tunnel.it can backup to J4 or beyond..trick is to turn off if this happens at J4. follow to Orpington (but dont turn into go straight on)this road will take you to A20/M20
--
Steve
M25 Hotspots am/pm - patently
Anticlockwise.

By which I mean in the morning. In the evening, clockwise of course.

M25 Hotspots am/pm - mike100
And watch the section between J5 (A21) and J7 (M23)- notorious for sudden thick fog especially in autumn - although this year doesn't seem to have been too bad.
M25 Hotspots am/pm - Steve Pearce
The J12-J15 roadworks have over a year to run, although they have almost finished the 12-14 stretch, they then start on the 14-15 part of the project. This includes new bridges and sliproads so will probably not be minor!
M25 Hotspots am/pm - henry k
R>> The J12-J15 roadworks have over a year to run, although they
have almost finished the 12-14 stretch, they then start on the
14-15 part of the project. This includes new bridges and sliproads
so will probably not be minor!

>>
Read all about it but dated Jan 04
www.runnymede.gov.uk/environt/m25widening/m25widen...p
includes a link to a 30Mb M25 Infomercial.
and
www.synomia.com/sitesearch/consult5/index.php