Vaux Astra LSI, Help! - angiet
The car conked out on me the other day and after 2 days in a garage with them changing filters and cleaning bits and pieces they still can't work out what's wrong. It turns over but just doesn't catch. Someone else mentioned that it could be something to do with the immobiliser, does anyone have any ideas? Other than this it's going to have to be transported to a Vauxhall garage, the nearest one being around 90 miles away.

Thanks.

Angiet.
Vaux Astra LSI, Help! - Dynamic Dave
Does the ecu light flash on and off continually when you put the key in and try to start the engine? This would indicate that the immobiliser doesn't recognise the transponder in the key fob.

How old is the car?
Never noticed any lights flashing when trying it before it went to the garage. A friend (who's a mechanic)did say that the key might have to be re-programmed, I take it that it would have to go to a Vauxhall garage if that's the case. The car's an 'x' plate, 2000. He also mentioned that there might be a way of by-passing the immobiliser is that true do you know?

Thanks Dave.

Angiet.
A friend (who's a mechanic)did say that the key might have to
be re-programmed, I take it that it would have to go to a Vauxhall garage....

No, IIRC, anyone with a Tech2 reader should be able to do this.
He also mentioned that there might be a way of by-passing the
immobiliser is that true do you know?

Again, can be done using a Tech2 reader. However, if you're going to disable the immobiliser you should tell your insurance company.
Managed to get the car delivered back home. Friend came round to have a look (the mechanic guy) and couldn't by pass immobiliser as it was the newer model. Didn't fancy that anyway. Going to join breakdown service, wait a few days and see what they say and where they will take it to. Problem being, I live on the Isle of Skye and there ain't much in the way of garages to choose from, nearest Vauxhall garage is in Inverness (90 miles) don't know if they'd take it that far or if they'd suggest taking it to a local garage!?!? Otherwise we've been quoted £300+ to have it transported to Inverness. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Angiet.
Vaux Astra LSI, Help! - SkintSteve
Difficult to say what the problem is without more information.Why do you think its the immobiliser?
Did the car conk out on you while you were driving? If so did it cough and splutter or just cut out?
Is the timing belt ok?
Hi Steve,

Stalled the car then in just wouldn't start. Turning over ok just won't catch. Mechanic took it to the garage, serviced it checked it over and said it was an electrical fault and it would have to go to the Vauxhall garage to get tested for the fault on the computer. No spluttering in advance, no advance warning at all. A (mechanic)friend seemed to think it was something to do with the immobiliser.

Angiet.
Stalling the car and then it failing to restart *shouldn't* be the fault of the immobiliser. The factory fit immobiliser will have some kind of failsafe built in to it so that it won't stop the engine for safety reasons once it's running. As mentioned earlier, the ECU light should flash if the immobiliser doesn't recognise the chip in the key.

I take it the mechanic has carried out a common diagnosis - seeing if there's a spark at the plugs, checking the cambelt hasn't snapped, fuel pump is running, etc?
As Said, the factory immobiliser will have some form of safety device. Immobiliser not usually a problem.
Here are a few simple tests you can do yourself with the help of a friend.
First remove one spark plug, push it back into the plug cap and lay the plug on top of the engine. Make sure the plug is in contact with metal. Get some one to turn the engine over while you watch the plug. It should spark. DO NOT TOUCH THE PLUG WHILE DOING THIS. YOU COULD GET BAD SHOCK.
Second, remove the distributer cap ( leave the HT leads in the cap ) and get someone to turn the engine over. The rotor arm , usually hidden by the distributer cap, should turn. If it does not turn the timing belt is probably broken.
Third,check the fuel pump fuse. Not sure but I think it is fuse number 2 and should be 20amp.
Hope this is some help.
Steve
First remove one spark plug, push it back into the
plug cap and lay the plug on top of the engine.
Make sure the plug is in contact with metal. Get some
one to turn the engine over while you watch the plug.
It should spark.

I've always been told it's inadavisable to do this. The ECU or coil pack could be damaged by doing so.
Second, remove the distributer cap

This car won't have one. It'll be distributorless ignition.
First remove one spark plug, push it back into the
plug cap and lay the plug on top of the engine.
Make sure the plug is in contact with metal. Get some
one to turn the engine over while you watch the plug.
It should spark.

I've always been told it's inadavisable to do this. The ECU or coil pack could be damaged by doing so.
Second, remove the distributer cap....

This car won't have one. It'll be distributorless ignition.
Forgot to say that many motorspares companies ( Halfords etc )do a diagnostic test meter for Vauxhalls for about £20. It plugs into the fuse box diagnostic socket. The meter gives you a code which you look up with the papers provided and this should tell you what the fault is. As the cost of transporting your car to a Vauxhall dealer would be so expensive perhaps your local garage might consider buying one of these meters. You can also get universal meters that fit most cars for about £100

Steve
Thanks for all the help guys but the first garage I took the car to checked all the things you mentioned. I ended up joining the RAC who after taking it to another local garage to do the same checks (all over again) ended up taking it to Inverness (Vauxhall) who diagnosed the problem, fuel injection pump and it's now going to cost over £500 to get it fixed!?!? Never mind at least it will be back on the road soon. Thanks guys.

Angiet. x
As the car is only 4yrs old, and providing it hasn't done a mega amount of miles, it might be worth contacting Vauxhall to see if they'll foot some of the cost of the repair.

Failing that, I would shop around to see if you can get a fuel pump cheaper elsewhere - autovaux.co.uk for example.