ford focus sticking dials - toolslinger
i have a ford focus zectec mk2 1.6 when i turn the ignition off, the temperature and fuel guage go back to zero . with in seconds both dials go back to half way and stay there until i restart the car. when the car is restarted the dials work as normal please help.

ford focus sticking dials - DP
My 02 plate LX TDDi does this as well. Told by the dealer it's nothing to worry about.
ford focus sticking dials - L'escargot
Occasionally, on my 1999 Focus, the fuel gauge used to stay on empty when I started the car. With no particular pattern, the gauge would either give a reading later in the journey, or when I next started the car. I just used to ignore this harmless little idiosyncracity.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
ford focus sticking dials - Adam {P}
You didn't have a full tank did you L'escargot? Whenever mine gets filled to the brim, it reads empty and the light comes on. Once the excess petrol has been used up, and engine restarted, it's fine.

I rarely fill it anyway but it is a "fault" apparently. Doesn't bother me anywhere near enough to get it sorted.
--
Adam
ford focus sticking dials - toolslinger
just had my had my focus back from the dealers. they have rerouted some cables,sorry this is a bit vague. everything seeemed fine, but this morning the problems back.when they sort it hopefully! i will write back with the solution.
Peter, I would be very interested to hear the outcome, as my local dealer tells me "they all do that" and nothing to worry about. As it doesn't affect the normal operation of the gauges, I haven't pursued it. That said, this is the same dealer that reckons my howling rear wheel bearing is "normal", so maybe it is a little more serious. Don't understand Ford dealers - most places "find" work where it doesn't exist, but this lot seem to positively go out of their way to avoid doing anything outside of the service schedule.

The gauge problem has been on my car since I got it in January It's exactly as you describe - ignition off, fuel and temp gauges drop to "zero" and then flick very quickly up to half way where they stay until the car is restarted. On switching the ignition back on they flick immediately back to "zero", then read correctly.

Keep us posted
Cheers
Dan

ford focus sticking dials - SjB {P}
What happens when you put the instrument panel in to diagnostic mode?

I am not a Focus owner, but recall reading that this is done by pressing and holding the odometer button whilst starting the engine.
There is a "Gage" mode in the diagnostic mode which tests the speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gauges by sweeping them round to maximum for a couple of seconds. You can also light up all the warning lights in "Bulb" mode. The gauge test works fine, and the gauges themselves also work accurately in use, so there's not a problem with the gauges themselves. Whatever is causing the problem only occurs when the ignition is switched off.

Incidentally, my car was parked up for two weeks when I was on holiday in the summer and started first go on my return, so whatever it is, isn't causing any significant battery drain.