>> ::Excuse me while I pop to the Patents office to
register my idea::
Damn!! Beaten to it.
swpat.ffii.org/pikta/txt/ep/1236/409/abstract.txt
img src="http://www.matesupover.com/Emoticons/Crying_Hard.gif">

For the full horror, see:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27017&...e

Dave,

Please, and I am deadly serious, *please* don't let the emoticon menace start.

Look at other forums where they allow this and tell me it's a good idea. They breed like rabbits and eventually take over the whole forum. You start to have posts with half a dozen words and twenty emoticons. (I'm not joking - I gave up on another forum after seeing just this).

Perhaps a slightly inward looking poll subject: "Should emoticon posters be disembowelled with a blunt conrod?"

V
Emoticon Horror - Dynamic Dave
Vin,

Although I don't mind emoticons, I have to agree with you that they can breed. In another forum I look at, as you say, they have started become just as popular as the text people write. I too would hate to see that happen here. Although saying that, myself and my fellow moderators have the ability to prevent it from happening anyway.

Point taken, and I shouldn't be encouraging it.

DD.
Emoticon Horror - J Bonington Jagworth
I agree with Vin, especially as the 'point-and-click' ones seem to be used as a substitute for irony or real humour. The old-fashioned typed ones are OK in moderation (or by moderators!) IMHO, possibly because they require a smidgen more thought. :-)

Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Clanger
I don't want to encourage emoticon use, nor do I want to see it banned. Emoticons are here to stay; they are part of technological evolution like blutetooth, texting and computing and other things that are part of life today. To quote THe Growler, if you don't like a post, you can "click on by". I don't see the problem, especially as many posters here relish the use of the English language and would prefer to express themselves in words rather than symbols.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Schnitzel
If you don't like them, switch "Load Images" to off.

Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Mark (RLBS)
Well, I think I've stopped anybody using them. We will see.
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Dynamic Dave
Well, I think I've stopped anybody using them. We will see.

Wanna bet?
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Adam {P}
I took it as a challenge Dave but gave up after I exhausted the obvious methods.

Of course, with the hallowed Edit button.....
--
Adam
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Rob C
If it's emoticon based horror you want, take a look at this thread from a "crooze site" based near Newcastle.
The debate itself may be a tad high-brow for the members here. {In which case I've stopped it being a clickable link. Copy & paste it into your URL window if you want to see it folks. DD}

www.spillers-cruise.co.uk/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=5...3
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - henry k
Thanks for an insight into another world.
I was astounded at the no of postings per person over the period shown since they joined.
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Rob C
It wasn't anything rude or abusive by the way, but if anyone's at all concerned whether their taxes are being put to good use in education, they should probably stay away.
Emoticon Horror ... what horror? - Nsar
Outstanding!