How long with the dealer? - hajunk
Hi

I was about to buy a car yesterday. It had one previous owner but the car was bought from a dealer. I would like to know how long the dealer had the car - does it say this somewhere on any of the documents??

The reason I'm asking is:
The car was bought in Feb 2000 by a Leasing company.
First inspection was in Feb 2001 with 16000 miles.
MoT available in Feb 2002 with 31000.
Next MoT in Feb 2003 with 31250(!!). Car made only 250 miles in one year.
Car bought by new owner in Aug 2003 with 31300 miles from a dealer, with inspection in Aug 2003.
Currently, the car has 41000 miles.

Basically, the car made 300 miles in 1.5 years. The current owner says, the car might have been on the forecourt of the dealer for so long. What do you think? Wouldn't it say something like that on the V5?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Regards
Hajunk
How long with the dealer? - Happy Blue!
Curious, why an MoT after only two years?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Ok, might not have been an MOT after two years actually. During HPI check, the man on the phone told me that first available mileage data was in Feb 2002 with 31000 miles.

How long with the dealer? - Alan
I can't answer this one it seems very odd. A friend traded his 2 or 3 year old car in to a ford dealer and it was on the forecourt for over ten months. I thought then it was a very long time for the dealer to be willing to take the hit for depreciation. Bad business sense if it was just sat doing nothing.
Could be lots of things but is it not written anywhere? If a dealer buys a car does the number of ownership increase? I presume not. I guess the car is not registered for the time it's with the dealer?? But the V5 doesn't reflect that, or does it? I really don't know how the system works. Can someone shed some light into this please?

Many thanks.

How long with the dealer? - Stuartli
Following up the particular model's engine and features specification history could throw some light on the matter - the specs are usually raised at least once a year (used to be in September at one time, just after the August sales spree).

The Car-by-Car Breakdown section on this website could well provide some useful clues.

Otherwise follow up the VIN number - there are websites available that will reveal when the car was built and the particular engine fitted by keying in the VIN.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How long with the dealer? - Altea Ego
Walk away. Its not worth the hastle or the constant nagging worry that its not all kosher. There are loads of cars out there without this agro.
How long with the dealer? - umistim
If the Feb 2002 mileage information was from HPI (it could not have been an MOT at that age) then it is unreliable, not unusual in my experience.
A selling dealer does not have to register the car in his name as he would not require a Road Fund Licence, any road use would be on 'trade plates'.
How long with the dealer? - johncyprus
Why are you further considering this dodgy car? You've wisely done some investigation and found that the vehicle has odd mileage records - time to walk away - lots of good cars out there.
I got the hpi letter through the post today: The car was sold in Feb 2002 to a dealer with 31000 miles (the record comes from DVLA with Logbook V5/3 which exactly means that a dealer bought the car). The next record is from a Member of Rental and Leasing companies, exactly a year later with 31240 miles. Finally, the car was sold to the current owner in Aug 2003 - 1.5 years later after it was bought from the first owner.

Looks like, the dealer kept the car for quite a bit and that's why the car did not do any miles. It seems a bit odd that a dealer would keep the car for so long but it looks like everything is kosher.
How long with the dealer? - Altea Ego
Last warning. Unless you have a very very good reason to buy this car (like its dirt cheap) walk away. The fact is was left standing for over a year is enough reason.
How long with the dealer? - Ben {P}
I wouldnt go near it if you want to keep it a while.

I thought a trader had to register the vehicle if he had it longer than 3 months?

It will be registered with DVLA, they then get the slip saying the trader has it and so wont chase for tax untill a new owner registers the vehicle. However, i thought they would register the trader as owner after the three months if the thing was not sold. Who is to say the thing hasnt been clocked? I dont understand why a lease company would buy a car from (i presume) a second hand franchise dealer? The only thing i can think of is that there was some form of legal dispute that prevented the trader/dealer from disposing of the car- is this possible?
How long with the dealer? - Hugo {P}
Others are right to a certain extent.

Unless you can satisfactorily eliminate all dodgy reasons for the mileage, walk.

Having said that I have spoken to a number of dealers who have had cars at their premises for over a year.

Hugo
How long with the dealer? - mab23

Danger, Will Robinson!!!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8156&v...f

We bought the Mercedes A-Class mentioned in this thread. It turned out to be the biggest woofer ever. Gearbox fell out at 70mph on the M180. Sold it 9 months later, cost 2k in depreciation.

Walk away!

Mike
Many thanks for all your comment. This is one of the best boards I have ever seen.

As for the car, I have decided against it. Not gonna take the risk. The car is not even cheap. I'll try looking for a one owner car from now on.

Cheers