Rotten egg smell - nissan man
I have recently purchased a Nissan Primera, and shortly after buying it started to notice a smell of rotten eggs. Basically the cause of this was the Alternator overcharging the battery, which started to dry it up and emit this smell.
I got the alternator changed, and replaced the battery with one from another working car. The smell dissappered immediately.

2 weeks on, I popped open the bonnet and noticed that the tray holding up the battery, and the rod holding in place the battery, seems to be covered in what looks like dried up battery fluid (white,greyish in colour and flaky)

Any ideas of what the cause of this could be, it's baffled me.

Thanks

Rotten egg smell - daveyK_UK
Normally its caused by the catalyst convertor being nackered.

That would have been the last place I looked, what's the connection ?
Rotten egg smell - Altea Ego
What he means is that the Cat is usually the thing that causes the rotten eggs smell - first noticed when we went to lead free petrol. There was not much could be done about it.

In your case the smell seems to have been traced to the battery being overcharged - and the flakey stuff is probably where the battery fluid boiled over or expanded out.
Rotten egg smell - GrahamF1
I have this smell on my Passat, usually for no more than a minute, beginning about 10 seconds after I start it up.

I always assumed it was the aircon needing disinfecting?

Though I did have an bubbling-over-with-acid battery replaced a little while ago. Garage assured me that this was not the alternator overcharging, and that the battery had simply died.

Thoughts? Have the garage pulled the wool on me? New battery seems fine so far...
Rotten egg smell - Andrew-T
I always understood that the egg-smell soon after start-up is from the cat-converter which is not yet warmed up, and unable to deal with the traces of sulphur in petrol (producing H²S instead of SO²). Though I have never noticed, or heard reports of, a smell of SO², which isn't any nicer than H²S.
Rotten egg smell - Civic8
Its battery acid that hasnt been washed away. I would take it back and get them to clean up. Otherwise corrosion will set in.
--
Steve
So what's causing the battery acid to leak ? as the area was clean when I put in this battery.
Rotten egg smell - nortones2
Maybe its whatever regulates the alternator output rather than the alternator itself.
Rotten egg smell - Civic8
I Doubt you have a leak now. my comment was meant to mean the acid. Is still active. If not washed away properly or made inactive. a thin coat remains..causing this to happen.may be wrong here. But think thats what has happened
--
Steve
Rotten egg smell - hillman
This often happened with my old Volvo 440 with cat and carburettor when I stopped at traffic lights and the exhaust fumes were lingering around the car. I had to reassure my daughter, who was looking daggers at her children in the back seat. "No darling, disgusting though they usually are, its not the kids this time".
Rotten egg smell - Pete M
I have always believed that the 'rotten eggs' or Hydrogen Sulphide smell came from the catalytic convertor being 'poisoned' by someone using leaded petrol. Of course cars with convertors should only be run on unleaded fuel. I do remember that some of the supermarket fuel in the UK did smell quite sulphurous, even the unleaded variety.
Rotten egg smell - P 2501
I think perhaps the new battery has been overfilled with electrolyte and as mentioned it has expanded out. Have had the same problem myself. Take out the battery and slosh the area over with a bicarb solution to neutralise the acid.Then clean and replace battery.
Rotten egg smell - NickCa
As an ex-chemist, the eggy smell (correctly identified as Hydrogen Sulphide - H2S) if I remember correctly, is produced whenever a strong acid was heated with Iron (I think because of naturally occurring Sulphur in the Iron). Could it be that the smell is battery acid reacting with some Iron somewhere?
Rotten egg smell - GrumpyOldGit
Google found this.
------------------

ROTTEN EGG SMELL FROM CATALYTIC CONVERTER

The sulphur smell from the exhaust, is actually caused by running the engine/cat convertor slightly lean for long periods and then running under a rich condition (ie going up a hill under heavy load) This is when the sulphur smell (rotten egg) is produced.

Under relatively lean conditions, the sulphur found in gasoline is converted to sulphur trioxide, then during the rich running condition the sulfur trioxide is converted into hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) within the catalytic converter.

Audi of America issued a service bulletin Group 24, #92-04 which detailed this problem. They list the cause as : the gasoline sulphur content and the characteristic of catalytic convertor to store sulphur compounds and release them during rich engine running conditions.

Switching gasoline brands may help. The Oxygen sensor may also need to be replaced to correct a fuel injection mixture problem

Some very interesting ideas, & I guess there are some things that I can try, like cleaning the area, which is not going to break the bank.