Van tyres are tough! - Andrew Hamilton
I read previous comments about how delicate car tyres are and how driving over curbs can ruin them. Realised for years I have been driving my van tyres over high curbs and accross rubbish covered building areas with no problems despite having economy brand tyres.
Think the reinforced structure intended for load carrying, the tread that is deeper than car tyres and sidewalls with thicker rubber worth paying £40/tyre.
Re: Van tyres are tough! - Dave N
Same with makes like BF Goodrich on 4x4's, trouble is, soft roaders don't have them fitted.
Re: Van tyres are tough! - Lekas
All car tyres seem to be tough, judging from the way most drivers in my area locate kerbs when parking. This involves driving the onside front wheel up the kerb (usually briskly) and then turning to the right till it drops to the road surface. Result, a perfectly aligned car. A similar technique can be used to reverse into a space but it is then usually easier to leave the onside rear wheel well up on the pavement, presumably to leave plenty of ventilation space underneath.
Re: Van tyres are tough! - markymarkn
it does make me cringe when you see cars parked with 2 wheels half on/half off the kerb. Tyres must be pretty tough - i'm sure they'll be some kind of legislation as to how 'tough' they must be.
Re: Van tyres are tough! - peter todd
have you considered if you have got 6 or 8 ply van tyres. quite a lot of vans may be fitted with 6's as standard (the 3.5t 95 transit I use for work did, 215/85-15 I think) when replacing originals I went for 8 ply to give more leaway as when off road there is quite a lot of chassis twist which can massiveley overload a tyre (its allways fully loaded to max gross wt.)
average mileage for rears can be as low as 20k as the flints cuts them. as I service @ 6000m & all wheels come off for brake inspections the wheels are rebalanced as a matter of course, regardless if its a farm off roader or a company car/slone square 4wd
Re: Van tyres are tough! - Andrew Hamilton
Got 185R14 commercial van tyres on my LDV200 with 8 ply rating. Not worth the risk of police prosecuting by economising with lower ply rating.
Never have to rebalance tyres over life. Just remove embedded stones at service. Always leave tyres at pressures to take GVL. Surprised you need to rebalance at 6000 miles!
Re: Van tyres are tough! - peter todd
you'd be surprised how far you can get before you need to hook up the towing strap to a tractor- previous transit 190 twin wheel wasn't so good as the front axle weight was slightly higher & combined with 185-14 on the front you tended to get the front sinking in before the traction was lost

rebalancing is sometimes needed as the stones cut the drive wheels to shreds, but as 95% of work is on road, payload wins over the down side of running a 4wd