Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Dabby
Anyone here got an opinion on these? They're quite expensive but are they worth it? I'm wondering whether to put them as an option on the new car...
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Peter S
They were standard on my car, and if you do a reasonable amount of driving at night I'd strongly recommend them. I have paid for them as an option before, and would not be without them now, though the price variation between manufacturers for this option is wide.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Pugugly {P}
Agree - I had them factored in on mine when I bought it. Diving anything ealse at night is now a chore. I live in the country where roads are very dark.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Vincentus
They were standard on my car

Now we've got plenty cars with xenons coming as standard, but Bi-... only a few, I guess. Let's see:
a) Audi A8
b) BMW 6 & 7 series
c) Jag XJ
d) Lancia Thesis
e) Lex LS 430
f) Merc E-class Avantgarde, S-class 600 & CL
g) Skoda Superb Elegance
h) VW Passat W8 & Phaeton
i) Volvo S80 Premium

Peter: Choose the right answer please :)
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Timaru
I have Xenon lights and very good they are to but what are Bi-Xenon?
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - SjB {P}
> what are Bi-Xenon?

Dipped AND main beam.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Timaru
Ah! thanks, so my dipped beams are hi-tech and full beam are candles.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Vincentus
Ah! thanks, so my dipped beams are hi-tech and full beam
are candles.

No need to use those candles, then.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Peter S
Vincentus, E270 Avantgarde is the answer, where they are 'free'. Have had the non bi versions on a MINI @ £350 and an A4 @ £750, and despite the cost would not be without them now as at this time of year on country roads without a streetlight for miles they are fantastic. In an urban/motorway environment I'd have to question spending the extra, but as others have said, in the countryside once you've had them they are a must!
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Stuartli
There's a recent, comprehensive thread on this subject but I can't find it at present.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Pugugly {P}
and the BMW 5 series....£690.00 extras though.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Lucian Deville
What the big price difference between car makers?
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - SjB {P}
When I purchased my V70 last year, £650 for bi-xenons.

Not worth it, standard headlights superb on dipped and main beam, unlike my Vectra GSi Estate where Xenon (£500, on dipped only) was an improvement over standard halogen.

Cash stayed in my pocket.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Happy Blue!
Yup, Volvo S80 superb regular lights, but probably useful on German cars where the basic lights are pretty awful. My old Merc C200 had dreadful lights.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - rhino
I had them included in the winter pack on my XC90; fantastic improvement on standard dipped beam, on main beam they turn night into day. Worth the extra dosh given the long winter we have, especially if the car is a private purchase and you're going to hang onto it for a while.

My only hesitation is the guidance in the handbook for bulb changes to be a workshop job given the electrical implications. I'd be loathe to do this but will seek advice here when the time arises!
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Altea Ego
They claim its a workshop job for health and safety reasons. The discharge voltages required for these lamps can kill if you dont know what you are doing.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - rhino
The comp;lete headlight unit on an XC90 comes out of the vehicle after unclipping two metal retainers. How difficult or dangerous an it be to change the bulb after then uncoupling the connecting blocks? Really, changing a bulb should be an owner do-able job.
If not, where does it stop next? Pumping up tyres?
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - VTiredeyes
i agree rhino.
i heard that xenon lamps are ment to last 5 or 10 times longer than a normal bulb.
given a normal bulb can last 1 year, i think they should be under manufacs warranty
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Arty
Dont you need to alter the electrical circuits to allow for the bulbs. They tend to usse a lot of energy.

Trend at the moment is the use of LED (light emmitting diodes) as head lights. Some cars already use them on brake lights. Uses a lot less energy and lights faster.
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Altea Ego
Those connecting blocks possibly carrying lethal voltages?
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Adam {P}
I heard 50,000 volts somewhere (possibly on here).
--
Adam
Bi-Xénon Headlamps - Dabby
Thanks everyone for responding, I'll be adding them to the options list I think. I also saw an article in a German magazine testing the standard halogen against the xenon lamps for about 50 different cars - the VW Touran (which is what I am going to order) came out tops of all manufacturers for the wenon headlamps.