Torque peaked? - tunacat
Cheddar and RF's postings in the Car Performance Data Base thread got me thinking about normally-aspirated petrol engines in production cars:

20 years ago, 55 BHP per litre was a rule of thumb for your average car, and about 65-68 bhp/litre for the 'sports' models - e.g. 130 bhp from the 2.0 Cavalier Sri130 and 2.0 Fiat Strada Abarth, and 110bhp from the 1.6 Peugeot 205 Gti and original 1.6 Golf GTi.

Then around 1987 came the Astra GTE 16v and power outputs for 2.0 litres went up to about 150-160 bhp. And they've not moved such a great deal since, until the fairly recent proliferation of variable valve timing has given us 190 to 200, or 240 in the Honda S2000. (In fact didn't the first Civic VTEC get towards 160 bhp from 1.6 litres?)

However, whilst better breathing/higher revs has allowed power outputs to rise by 30 % or more since 1987, maximum torque output for a 2.0 litre appears to have barely changed from about 155 lb ft. That's in 16 or so years.

For production cars, without resorting to a turbo, has the torque ceiling been reached ?
Torque peaked? - Number_Cruncher
In comparing similar engines, it is true that torque is proportional to the product of the thermal, volumetric and mechanical efficiencies.

Thermal efficiency is governed by the thermodynamic process and the air/fuel ratio. As we are comparing petrol engines which operate near to lambda=1, and must burn cleanly for emissions purposes, there isn't much difference there.

The peak torque is usually obtained at the engine speed where the volumetric efficiency is greatest. Without a turbo, volumetric efficiency is limited by how much valve area you can get, and how effective the manifold tuning is.

The mechanical efficiency is very consistent between different engines, they all use substantially similar piston, con-rod and crank mechanisms.

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - cheddar
Higher torque in a normally aspirated engine can be achieved by narrowing the inlet tracts thus ensuring that air flow speeds are maintained at low revs. Hence why an 8v engine often feels more gutsy at low revs than a 16v of the same capacity, this also why high perforamance carburettors used to have twin chokes, one of which remained closed at low revs to maintain airflow. A similar though more sophisticated approach has been taken on many fuel injection systems.

Taking into account Number Crunchers points it could be that the 150lb/ft mark is the optimum when using technology to offset the conflicting requirements of high speed airflow at low revs v high volume airflow at high revs.
Torque peaked? - SjB {P}
Variable valve timing (as mentioned in the original post) actually plays a huge part in extending the torque plateau, especially when implemented on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts of a twin cam engine.

With V-Tec, Honda (and probably others) have also tried the trick of stopping one inlet vale from working at low engine revs, thereby forcing the other one to flow faster. The disadvantage of this, especially on a motorbike like the current VFR800 rather than the Civic where I first remember V-Tec from, is the sudden change in power deliver when the second set of inlet valves chime in.
Indeed, it is the extension, towards higher revs, of the volumetric efficiency plateau, hence torque plateau which explains the increased power output of the more technologically advanced engines quoted in the original post.

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - Altea Ego
In english, does that mean more valves = less torque?
No
Torque peaked? - tunacat
Without VVT, more valves -or making use of them- will tend to mean the torque peak is shifted upwards in the rev range. This means the maximum power output figure is increased, but torque may be reduced at low revs.

VVT allows the torque peak to be spread over a wider band of revs.

But as in my original point, the actual maximum torque value hardly seems to be getting any higher as time goes by, for the reasons NC has stated.

With given octane ratings(?) and lambda-loop, and VVT now established, is there any further specific-torque to be achieved?
Have I noticed a teensy-increase on these new direct-injection engines??
Torque peaked? - cheddar
In english, does that mean more valves = less torque?

Inherently larger inlet valve area relative to cylinder capacity = less torque however twin choke carbs, variable length inlet manifolds, variable valve timing and lift etc etc can cancel this out and then some.
Inherently larger inlet valve area relative to cylinder capacity = less torque ...

Hi Cheddar,

I don't think I can agree with your logic here in any general sense. Larger valves will, when averaged over the whole speed range, allow more air to flow, allowing *more* torque to be produced.

Depending on how the valce timing has been optimised, this may, however, lead to poorer low speed running for the reasons you stated above.

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - cheddar
Hi NB,
larger valves will, when averaged over the
whole speed range, allow more air to flow, allowing *more* torque to be produced.

Infact larger valves will, when averaged over the whole speed range, allow more air to flow, allowing more POWER to be produced, this is not the same as torque.

Regards.
Hi Cheddar,

At the risk of kicking of August's Torque / Power thread again - was it DD who mentioned Groundhog day earlier? :-)

It isn't an either or thing between torque and power - you need both torque and speed for an engine to deliver power.

Taking the valves to an extreme, if you have tiny valves, you can't produce much torque, they would effectively throttle the engine. As you increase their size from being tiny, torque, and hence power both can increase.

Typical modern engines make good use of the available area above the piston, and potential increases in valve area are marginal at best.

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - Civic8
>>Taking the valves to an extreme, if you have tiny valves, you can't produce much torque, they would effectively throttle the engine. As you increase their size from being tiny, torque, and hence power both can increase.

I know you dont need me to agree. but well said
--
Steve
Torque peaked? - cheddar
Hi NB,
Taking the valves to an extreme, if you have tiny valves,
you can't produce much torque, they would effectively throttle the engine.
As you increase their size from being tiny, torque, and
hence power both can increase.

>>

Let's put it another way, the optimum inlet valve size (or valve area v cylinder capacity) for max torque is different than for max power. Hence the challenge faced by engine designers who try to make engines flexible at low revs and powerful at higher revs.

Regards.
Let's put it another way, the optimum inlet valve size (or
valve area v cylinder capacity) for max torque is different >> than for max power.

No, really, No! If you look at a racing engine, which still do / must produce torque, the inlet manifold is designed purely to avoid being a restriction; they are quite short, and aerodynamically excellent.

The thing is, racing engines can produce their maximum torque (which *isn't* poor) at high revs, and then their maximum power at even higher revs - they don't need to tick over smoothly, so this part of the rev range is not designed for.

Racing engines produce both high torque figures and high power figues. They can't make power without torque!
Hence the challenge faced by engine designers who
try to make engines flexible at low revs and powerful at
higher revs.

Yes, you can imagine the VTEC system, for example, as a means of making a screaming engine, optimised to produce both torque and power at higher engine speeds, tractable at low revs. For obvious reasons, it isn't marketed this way round.

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - cheddar
Hi NB,

Perhaps we are talking almost at cross purposes here. You are right a racing engine can produce high levels of torque albeit at high revs. However in a road enging the challenge is 1/ to provide drivability at low/medium revs and 2/ a strong band power up to and beyond 6000rpm or so. 1/ can be achieved with an 8v engine with relatively small inlet valve therefore ensuring reasonable airflow at slow engine speeds however this engine would feel breathless at higher revs. 2/ can be achieved with larger inlet valves allowing the engine to breathe more freely at higher revs however the slow airflow at low engine speeds would make it seem gutless at low revs.

It is the need to acheive 1/ & 2/ together, i.e an engine that is flexible at low revs, has strong midrange and is powerful at high revs that has lead to the development of devices such as twin choke carbs, variable length inlet manifolds, VVT etc.

Regards.
Perhaps we are talking almost at cross purposes here.

Yes, there's always a good chance of that happening! :-)

Cheers,

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - cheddar
It is true to say that for much more complex reasons exhaust back pressure has a lot to do with torque hence the reason for Yamaha's development of the EXUP valve, this is a valve that sits in the exhaust system and is controlled electronically varying the effective diameter of the exhaust. Yamaha have been fitting this system to motorcycles for 15 or more years, more recently other manufacturers have introduced there own version of the idea.
Torque peaked? - Ben {P}
Upon reading your post i had the following thoughts, please correct me if i am wrong:

If you have big valve area, will not flow at low speeds be worse than a smaller valve and hence you achieve lower volumetric effciency? Further still if you have achieved atmospheric plus a few per cent, increasing valve area would not increase torque as the celing would have been reached. Hence, as SJB points out manufacturers have sought to decrease valve area at low speed to increase torque.
Also exhaust tuning can significantly effect torque- you can't introduce new charge if some of the burnt charge remains.
Torque peaked? - Ben {P}
It depends- remember figures quoted in car magasine as peak figures.

On a normally aspirated engine atmospheric pressure is used to push air into the cylinders. If cylinder fill has got to the point where atmospheric pressure has been achieved there is little more torque that can be produced (expect with ram and pulse tuning etc, which then only makes a small difference.) I used to have an anciet Jetta 16v- after numnerous modifications i obtained about 107bhp@wheels at 5k. Some rough calculations suggested i was near volumetric efficiency. To make more power therefore i had to achieve more more torque at higher engine speeds, or increase the rev limit. Neither of which i could afford. These old engines produced about 137bhp from 1781cc when standard- not bad in their day.

However at the time peugeot were producing the Mi16 engine, which even in a very low state of tune (ie much milder camshaft profiles than a golf 16v or pug 205 1.9gti) produce an impressive 160bhp (that from 1905cc) With a little tweaking these engines can produce in excess of 200bhp, with the potential for almost 300bhp in full race tune.

Variable valve timing enables lift and duration to be optimised for specific engine speeds. That means the engine can produce near peak torque over a larger rpm range. As a result two cars with the same peak power output and weight, may have different performance potentials.

Emissions regulations have contrained power outputs. I beleive the honda civic type R for example (please correct if wrong), produced for the Jap market, make nearly 220bhp. If the old XE engine from the Astra had to comply with modern regs i doubt you would get more than 130bhp tops.

I beleive the early 1.6 V-tec engines as in the CRX produced 158bhp. Quick little cars.
Torque peaked? - SjB {P}
Although we have covered most of the obvious torque plateau enhancing technical developments in the thread so far, we have missed one of them: Inlet plenum chambers of variable length (as 'seen' by the shock wave inside them) and volume, designed to spread their resonant frequency over a wider engine revolution range.

When digitally fired (as opposed to camshaft opened) valves become the norm - such as MG Rover amongst others are already working on - I wonder how long it will be before we also have another torque plateau enhancing regime: In the case of a four cylinder motor as an example, one that has a 'big bang' mode of operation at low revs (firing two cylinders together), and a conventional 4-1-3-2 (or whatever it is) firing order at higher revs.
The new valve actuation systems are really quite exciting.

Perhaps the throttle valve could be consigned to the bin?

Instead of tuning manifold length to get a wave action benefit relative to a closing valve that always closes at 'broadly' the same point in the cycle, the valve closing point will be able to be changed to 'trap' the wave at an optimum point. This will allow manifold design to be much simplified, as ram effects may be obtained at all revs.

With supercharging, you might be able to make an engine run as a 2 stroke for part of its duty, reverting to four stroke as required.

Isolating cylinders for load control, or traffic light situations would become easier, and potentially impose fewer pumping losses on the remaining cylinders.

Exhaust blowdown could be tweaked to heat the cat up more quickly from cold without having to harm the bores with rich mixtures.

So exciting!.... I'm sure there's much more too!

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - No Do$h
Errrr.....

Shouldn't this be in technical?

Oooh, it is!

::punches magic moderator button::
No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Torque peaked? - tunacat
I remember Setright being impressed with the Peugeot/Citroen 16V at the time. What particularly allows this engine to produce 160bhp with a ?comparatively mild? cam, then?

I know the British Touring Cars produce about 300bhp from 2 litres, but what is their maximum torque figure?
Is the 300bhp achieved mainly from very high revs? Or is it down to inlet/plenum/exhaust tuning which CAN boost the maximum torque (to say 200 lb ft?), but only over a narrow range of high revs, and which therefore would be absolutely utterly useless in a road car?

Even WITH variable valve timing, although Honda get 200 and 240bhp, they still only offer about 145 lb ft. It sounds suspiciously like we *have* reached the torque ceiling then, until digital valve driving arrives.
Even then, that?s more good old complicated electronics - can?t help thinking it might be a long time coming, if, for a few years yet, companies can just strap a (proven) turbo on.

Hi tunacat,

I think that electronic valve control will primarily flatten the torque curve, rather than raising the level of peak torque.

I refer back to my answer to your original question.

------8<--------
In comparing similar engines, it is true that torque is proportional to the product of the thermal, volumetric and mechanical efficiencies.
------8<--------

To raise torque these efficiencies need to be increased.

Electronic valve control will allow volumetric efficiency to be improved over a wider speed range, but probably won't allow the peak volumetric efficiency of an engine to increase significantly.
Hence my view that it, of itself, won't raise torque figures. Turbos, etc. are obviously good for volumetric efficiency, but in a petrol engine also promote knock.

Thermal efficiency could be increased if a way were found to increase compression ratios further without knock problems. Besides the pumping losses of the throttle, this is where a diesel scores over a petrol.

Mechanical efficiency may be improved by driving the valves in a more efficient way. The reduced pumping losses given by the electronic valve control will lead to an improvement in mechanical eficiency, so a small rise in torque may come from it.

number_cruncher
Torque peaked? - Ben {P}
Good port design i believe. The engine as standard had inlet valves with much bigger area than the competition. A skilled engine builder could then port the head and fit even larger valves, thus creating huge inlet valve area and a huge flow potential. I think peugeot entered a tuned version into rallying (perhaps even a turbo) against the 6R4 Metro. Seriously fast.

To get huge power you would need direct to head throttle bodies, and an ecu and fuel system that could cope. However, big gains can be achieved with just skilled porting and new cam profiles.

In order to gain the high power outputs, the engine must rev harder. 300bhp would mean at least 10k rpm i would imagine- and that would require some serious internal engine components! I have details of an engine, on another old computer, using the head from the carlton 24v. Two cylinders have been cut off, and it has been mated to a 4 cylinder block from a monza, which has a trick crank. It has some fancy throttle bodies with variable length tubes. I think it was made by reisse motorsport and was reputed to rev to nearly 10k producing near 300bhp. But, apprarently, even more power could be achieved from the old M3 4cylinder engine!

Torque is primarily limited by engine capacity. It can be approximated mathmatically. Once the cylinder is filled at 1atm of pressure there is little more that can be achived on a NA engine. Power= torque * prm, therfore if more power is desired engine speed must rise. Formula one engines can produce 900bhp form 3000cc, but there torque figures wont be much more impressive than an M3.
Torque peaked? - v8man
All this talk about valves and you are missing the relevence of cam profiles and duration. Cams can be produced in high lift for power at top end or long duration for torque. Valve overlap is also critical because of the scavenging effect of the exhaust pulling the inlet charge into the cylinder.

Exhaust maniflod design will also play a part in this. A 4 into 1 manifold will good top end power and a 4 into 2 into 1 will be better for midrange torque which is more relevent for road going cars. What I'm saying is that a number of factors have to be considered to produce a powerful engine.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"