Rover 100 ECUs - Chris S
I've been told that Rover ECUs loose their settings when you disconnect the battery.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so can the ECU learn its settings again, or do I need to have it re-programmed?

(I need to disconnect the battery for safety reasons when I change the fuel filter)
Rover 100 ECUs - Ford Dagenham
Hi

I think all ecu systems lose theire settings.

They re learn them after a certain amount of miles (maybe 10)

But keep the revs low so it doesent confuse itself.

If the radio has a code you will need to know this as the radio will not work also.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Rover 100 ECUs - Aprilia
It's a while since I dealt with one of these but IIRC if its MEMS then the idle speed might need tweaking via the serial link.
Rover 100 ECUs - Chris S
Thanks - I won't risk leaving the battery connected then!
Rover 100 ECUs - Simon
You don't need to disconnect the battery just to change the fuel filter. Just be careful when you change it. I don't know of any garage who would disconnect a battery just to change a fuel filter. I've done it a quite a few times on a Metro/Rover 100 and it really is not necessary.
Rover 100 ECUs - Number_Cruncher
Simon,

I agree with you - I think the only time I would think about disconnecting the battery is if there was a permanently live wire in the area, or there was some electrical system like the suspension levelling on some citroens which switches on without warning.

number_cruncher
Rover 100 ECUs - Civic8
Dont need to disconect battery as has been said..Beware of causing a spark while doing so though..Bit of care while changing all will be fine.
--
Steve
Rover 100 ECUs - Chris S
I suppose you're right - there's only a theoretical risk of a spark when you leave the battery connected.

However you're guaranteed a spark when you reconnect a battery - and there will still be petrol vapour in the air!
Rover 100 ECUs - Doc
I have disconnected the battery on a Rover 100 many times.
It has never affected the ECU settings.