Suggestions for first car? - y2k+4
Strictly speaking, it's not the first car I'd have driven. I currently drive a '92 Citroen ZX 1.4 Aura, but it's a little lacking in cred, the carburetor is getting to be a pain and the electrics are doing what all French one's do, fall apart. My Dad bought it for me a while ago, and so it is all in his name, but I want to begin to build up my NCB, so I want to get my own car.

I'm only 18, and starting uni next year, so reliability and low running costs are at the fore. I was thinking about a 306 DTurbo, but I only have about £2200 to spend. These are fairly high-mileage cars, and though the engine can take it, can the rest of the mechanicals (primarily suspension, not so bothered about electrics, used to it!)?

Personally, I think the ZX handles quite well and is relatively speedy, would a 306 DT match this, and what else would you consider were you in my position?
Suggestions for first car? - Adam {P}
Sorry to be the voice of doom and gloom but does your £2200 take into account insurance which is going to be horrendous. With you considering a diesel it may be less but it's also a turbo.

I'm reluctant to suggest Corsa's and Fiestas because that's what I always do but try and get a quote for the 306 just to see what they're like - either very good or very very bad.
--
Adam
No, I've got another £800 to spend on insurance, which is all a DTurbo costs for me 'cause I've done Pass Plus...sorry, didn't make that clear!
That's fantastic then - in this case, I am glad to be proven wrong. 800 quid is an amazing quote for your first year but I never did pass plus (regretting it now).

Sadly, I don't know anything about the 306 but if you got one, you'd have one of the better cars in the car park that's for sure.
--
Adam
Part of it may be because I'm a humble country lad...it apparently has some influence in insurance balancing...
Suggestions for first car? - henry k
Part of it may be because I'm a humble country lad...it
apparently has some influence in insurance balancing...

>>
Beware of the insurance side of things.
Nice low insurance when living in the country?
Is the same insurance quote for the location of the UNI where you will be living?
If you are living at home while at UNI then please ignore my above comments.

IIRC it as been mentioned before on the forum.
Do you really really need a car at UNI?
Suggestions for first car? - GrahamF1
I drove a Rover 214SLi while at uni. £1500 would get you a nice example.

They don't carry much street cred, but:

1. 1.4 DOHC 16v K-series engine (94bhp) is revvy and bags of fun.
2. 'OAP' image means cheap insurance for a relatively quick car.
3. Easy to work on and generally reliable (electrics not great though).
4. Cheap to buy and maintain.
5. Seats 5 students in comfort whilst still being a small-ish car.
6. With such a cheap car you only really need TPFaT insurance.

Those with power steering are best, I think it's standard on the SLi after about 1992. The GSi trim isn't really worth looking at it, as it attracts a higher insurance premium and all you get are a few more electrics to go wrong. The more powerful Honda-engined 216SLi is even more fun, but again the insurance will be steeper.

Hope this helps. I'm probably biased because I had one and have a soft spot for them.
I was giving serious consideration to Rover 214's and the later 220 Sdi's, but I've heard of some SERIOUS cost problems on replacing the head gasket of the K-series, a fault that is relatively common...(my friend had one, couldn't afford to replace it, and the tidy car went to the scrapyard), but if you've not had any problems maybe it's not such a common fault!
Suggestions for first car? - MichaelR
Don't bother with the 306 for this money.

£2200 will get you a nice Citroen Xsara SX Turbo Diesel. Mechanically, its identical to the 306, but it has a more modern interior, better specification (The SX has Air Conditioning) and is worth less than the 306 so you'll get a newer car for your money.
Suggestions for first car? - DavidHM
Fair enough but is it as insurable? The 306, at least if you follow insurance groupings, is exceptionally good at that. (I'm not just saying that as a Peugeot owner: my 406 should be horribly expensive to insure, but is cheap compared to others in its group so I know that insurance group isn't everything.)

£2,200 will only get you a high mileage facelift (97 on) 306, and while my 103k mile 406 is running flawlessly, I might be tempted by a Xsara if the right one came up.

I have to say though that unless you are looking at a new car or at least the kind you could buy from a supermarket, it's probably best to have a shortlist of up to five cars that would do the job, should the right one show up at the right price.
Suggestions for first car? - MichaelR
Can't see insurance being an issue on the Xsara. Ok, so its a few groups higher but its lower than the Xantia TD I insured as my first car.

And so what if it costs £200 more to insure - you can save way more than that by choosing Xsara over 306 so it balances out.
Suggestions for first car? - mlj
In your position I would look for something very unobtrusive and even more reliable. I would scour the small ads for a one owner, loved and cherished, Mazda 323 or a Toyota Corolla. They do exist but tend to go very quickly, for obvious reasons. Good hunting.
Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to advise, it's appreciated. However, the point about Xsara insurance is valid, and applicable to the Japanese cars (I'd love a 94-98 323 - so pretty!) but insurance on such vehicles are comparatively high (around £200 more!). Are there any others anyone would care to recommend???
Mark 3 Golf? Although what you would get for 2 grand I don't know.
--
Adam
Suggestions for first car? - GrahamF1
The head gasket can go on the K-series, and it is expensive to replace. It's not especially common though, no more so than other engines.

Have a look at the coolant and make sure there's no 'mayo' or rusty deposits in it, these can indicate a head gasket leak. As long as it's not leaking when you buy it, you're not really taking any more of a risk than with any other engine.

220D isn't exactly a bad engine (Citroen/Peugeot design I believe), though it's not got much on the K-series in terms of mpg. It's also quite a bit slower. The best thing about the old Rover 200 is the 16v K-series engine, IMHO. Don't go anywhere near the SOHC 8v versions, this engine is found on the base model 214i.

You seem to be keen on a diesel. I can't see the appeal for someone at Uni, because most students don't do many miles and hence the major advantage of a diesel is lost. But quite possibly you aren't most students...
Suggestions for first car? - bbroomlea{P}
£2,200 will buy you a nice tidy Rover 220 Turbo Diesel. These engines are practically bullet proof so you shouldnt have any problems.

I had (and now my girlfriend has it) 97 214si when I was at uni, living in Middlesbrough (not the lowest insurance area) and I only paid £700 with 1 yrs no claims - through Elephant...

The cars are generally cheap to insure, probably as someone has already mentioned, their appeal to the elder generation. However some insurance companies will charge a fortune because of 'apparant' parts shortages so probably best to have a good shop around!!

Good reliable car generally, although I had to replace my Head Gasket at 92,000 miles because I left my radiator dripping too long and cooked the engine on the M1... such as life!!